Author Topic: Purchases Today  (Read 3223324 times)

JBS and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Dry Brett Kavanaugh

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Eric Dolphy, Persian music, Sorabji, Scriabin, Sex Pistols
Re: Purchases Today
« Reply #30360 on: Today at 07:46:04 AM »
Just bought the two other Markevitch sets:

I have been thoroughly enjoying his Philips recordings and I've been continuously thrilled by his conducting that this seemed like the logical (or illogical ;) ) next step.

Phenomenal conductor and great recordings!

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Sergei Rachmaninov (1873 - 1943)
    Austro-Germanic and Russian repertoire mainly
« Reply #30361 on: Today at 07:47:18 AM »
Phenomenal conductor and great recordings!

You've got that right! As I have said many times now, I don't normally go for these conductor sets, but this one appealed to me almost instantly because of the repertoire.
"Humility is society's greatest misconception."

Offline Dry Brett Kavanaugh

• Veteran member
    Eric Dolphy, Persian music, Sorabji, Scriabin, Sex Pistols
« Reply #30362 on: Today at 07:49:21 AM »
You've got that right! As I have said many times now, I don't normally go for these conductor sets, but this one appealed to me almost instantly because of the repertoire.

Good decision. These boxes will be oop soon.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #30363 on: Today at 08:01:44 AM »
Good decision. These boxes will be oop soon.

With the way the big labels run things, I'm surprised they're not out-of-print already! :)

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #30364 on: Today at 09:32:43 AM »
Exploring the Philips box myself recently, and knowing the crazily great DG recordings of Gounod and Berlioz - seems like Markevitch had one of the highest batting averages of any conductor ever. Loved reading the Philips box essay on his approach to conducting and the recording studio in particular.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #30365 on: Today at 10:49:49 AM »
Thanks, John! And I blame my seven recordings of Mahler's 10th that have stood in my way of getting to his song cycles.

Now you must acquaint yourself with this song sung by Kathleen Ferrier, Janet Baker and Maureen Forrester. It will wrench your very heart strings.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #30366 on: Today at 10:53:08 AM »

This 4 cd set presents the 3 extant versions of the symphony plus variants of some movements as well as the ‘Volkfest’ finale of the work. I’ve listened to 3 discs on Spotify and decided I needed to have it permanently. Never mind what the blowhard buffoon from Classics today has to say about this  :D.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #30367 on: Today at 11:38:08 AM »

This 4 cd set presents the 3 extant versions of the symphony plus variants of some movements as well as the ‘Volkfest’ finale of the work. I’ve listened to 3 discs on Spotify and decided I needed to have it permanently. Never mind what the blowhard buffoon from Classics today has to say about this  :D.

I bought this as well, Andre. Looking forward to hearing it.

Online classicalgeek

Dvorak, Janacek, Martinu, Shostakovich, Poulenc, Koechlin, Stravinsky, Barber, Mahler (always!), 20th century symphonies (Arnold, Badings, Holmboe, Malipiero, George Lloyd, Rorem, Rubbra, and many others!)
« Reply #30368 on: Today at 11:38:31 AM »
I've gone on a Nocturnes binge the last couple of months. Lisiecki was last month, Planes is on the way to me now, and this.

But my favorite Nocturnes has long been Rubinstein II.

It's hard to go wrong with Rubinstein in Chopin! I've especially enjoyed his Mazurkas - in his hands, each one is a little gem - but I admire his Nocturnes too. Pires has been my go-to set of Nocturnes, with Arrau also a strong contender.

Hough's late Brahms CD is very good. I think by nature he is not a performer who emotes a great deal, or maybe who expresses his emotions in a dignified, buttoned-up way. This suits repertoire like Chopin and late Brahms where our ears have become used to people getting all mushy and excessive. I like the understated poetry of Hough's approach here but there is a risk of it running dry depending on his inspiration level in any given work (or your taste).

I think you describe Hough very well - I'm eager to sample both his Chopin Nocturnes and the Brahms disc you mention.

Just bought the two other Markevitch sets:

I have been thoroughly enjoying his Philips recordings and I've been continuously thrilled by his conducting that this seemed like the logical (or illogical ;) ) next step.

Ooooh, nice! Enjoy!

I've listened to the 8th Symphony of DSCH more than any other of his symphonies the past few years, it's easily one of my favorites, and I think this Previn version is better than his DG with the LSO.
I also listened to Ruckert Lieder for the first time today, and I'm upset nobody told me just how gorgeous Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen is. I'm ashamed it took me this long to find out. I watched a live performance of this song on Apple Music from Elina Garanca/Christian Thielemann/Wiener Philharm, which will be released on DG in February.

I'll also give an endorsement to Previn/Shostakovich 8 (on EMI/Warner)... it's a harrowing, intense, visceral performance!

I need to get that Baker/Barbirolli/Mahler disc you ordered - Baker is simply sublime in these songs! Or course Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen is achingly beautiful, and I'm in love with Liebst du um Schönheit; it touches my heart (and makes me ugly-cry :-[) every time I hear it.

And while we're on the topic of Janet Baker: her Brahms Alto Rhapsody with Adrian Boult reduces me to a puddle of goo. I'm openly weeping just typing about it... :-[

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #30369 on: Today at 11:54:52 AM »
Thanks, John! And I blame my seven recordings of Mahler's 10th that have stood in my way of getting to his song cycles.

Truly, a statistically exceptional obstacle course!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot