Author Topic: Purchases Today  (Read 3221751 times)

Offline Roasted Swan

• Veteran member
Re: Purchases Today
« Reply #30340 on: Today at 07:20:26 AM »
From the same eBay seller:

Three big, bold 20th century symphonies!  ;D

3 absolute cracking pieces and cracking performances!  Don't listen to jeffrey ( ;)) in the Walton Sargent isn't a patch on Previn - One Walton 1 to rule them all......)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #30341 on: Today at 08:56:29 AM »
Nice! I need to revisit these recordings. I do have this DVD box set as well, which is quite good the best I can remember:

Thanks John and Harry - I'll be happy to let you know. Two of my very favourite versions of Shostakovich's 4th Symphony are from American conductors, Ormandy and Previn.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #30342 on: Today at 08:59:51 AM »
From the same eBay seller:

Three big, bold 20th century symphonies!  ;D
Great stuff! The Schmidt is the best performance I know of that great symphony.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #30343 on: Today at 09:03:02 AM »
3 absolute cracking pieces and cracking performances!  Don't listen to jeffrey ( ;)) in the Walton Sargent isn't a patch on Previn - One Walton 1 to rule them all......)
On the contrary ( ;D) it's most important to listen to Jeffrey! (I know that you all agree).
8)

Online classicalgeek

• Currently Listening to:
    Dvorak, Janacek, Martinu, Shostakovich, Poulenc, Koechlin, Stravinsky, Barber, Mahler (always!), 20th century symphonies (Arnold, Badings, Holmboe, Malipiero, George Lloyd, Rorem, Rubbra, and many others!)
« Reply #30344 on: Today at 10:58:03 AM »

I've been trying to track down either Previn or Slatkin in Walton 1 for a while, and of course they're both OOP and hard to find (as is the Previn/RCA box which would include this recording.) I had to jump on this copy!

Great stuff! The Schmidt is the best performance I know of that great symphony.

That's what I've heard, that Mehta has a special way with this piece... though I eventually want to acquire Paavo Järvi's Schmidt cycle too, I figured I'd better snap up Mehta because (stop me if you've heard this before)... it's OOP and really hard to find!

On the contrary ( ;D) it's most important to listen to Jeffrey! (I know that you all agree).
8)

But of course! ;D You haven't steered me wrong yet with your recommendations! And it appears Sargent's Walton 1 is available on Spotify, so maybe I'll have a listen later. All the same, I'm excited to have the Previn on disc again.

Online classicalgeek

Dvorak, Janacek, Martinu, Shostakovich, Poulenc, Koechlin, Stravinsky, Barber, Mahler (always!), 20th century symphonies (Arnold, Badings, Holmboe, Malipiero, George Lloyd, Rorem, Rubbra, and many others!)
« Reply #30345 on: Today at 11:20:22 AM »
Just bought:

A great haul - and what interesting discmates Debussy, Strauss, and Ligeti make! And is Jurowski doing a Shostakovich cycle with the LPO? I see he's recorded 6, 11, and 14.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Jean Sibelius (1865 - 1957)
    19th Century through the 21st Century
« Reply #30346 on: Today at 11:24:16 AM »
A great haul - and what interesting discmates Debussy, Strauss, and Ligeti make! And is Jurowski doing a Shostakovich cycle with the LPO? I see he's recorded 6, 11, and 14.

Jurowski has also recorded Shostakovich's PCs with the LPO. I don't believe he is going to do a cycle, but that certainly would be nice! And yes, these composers are strange discmates, indeed. Looking to hearing these recordings.

Edit: You know I've wondered about his Mahler. Of the symphonies he's recording with the the LPO, he's done the 1st, 2nd, 4th and 8th so far. Hopefully, more are in the pipeline.
« Last Edit: Today at 11:33:37 AM by Mirror Image »
"Humility is society's greatest misconception."

Online classicalgeek

« Reply #30347 on: Today at 11:30:58 AM »
Ordered an order from Presto.

I'm really curious about the Reger piano concerto - I know I've heard it once or twice but it's never stuck with me. I have enjoyed some of Reger's chamber music, so I want to give his orchestral music more of a chance.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #30348 on: Today at 01:26:32 PM »
I've been trying to track down either Previn or Slatkin in Walton 1 for a while, and of course they're both OOP and hard to find (as is the Previn/RCA box which would include this recording.) I had to jump on this copy!

That's what I've heard, that Mehta has a special way with this piece... though I eventually want to acquire Paavo Järvi's Schmidt cycle too, I figured I'd better snap up Mehta because (stop me if you've heard this before)... it's OOP and really hard to find!

But of course! ;D You haven't steered me wrong yet with your recommendations! And it appears Sargent's Walton 1 is available on Spotify, so maybe I'll have a listen later. All the same, I'm excited to have the Previn on disc again.
Previn is one of my favourite conductors but I never liked that Walton Symphony No.1 since I came across the LP. It's that oboe solo at the start. It should IMO sound tentative, vulnerable, fragile but with Previn it just sounds matter-of-fact. Boult, Thomson and Sargent are much better here IMO. I know that I've bored everyone to death with this and that the Previn is considered the very best by most people (I prefer his 'Homeric' (as one critic put it) RPO performance). I just picked up a copy of the (very good) Slatkin performance, nicely coupled with 'Portsmouth Point', very cheaply here.
« Last Edit: Today at 01:29:10 PM by vandermolen »

Online classicalgeek

« Reply #30349 on: Today at 04:38:05 PM »
Previn is one of my favourite conductors but I never liked that Walton Symphony No.1 since I came across the LP. It's that oboe solo at the start. It should IMO sound tentative, vulnerable, fragile but with Previn it just sounds matter-of-fact. Boult, Thomson and Sargent are much better here IMO. I know that I've bored everyone to death with this and that the Previn is considered the very best by most people (I prefer his 'Homeric' (as one critic put it) RPO performance). I just picked up a copy of the (very good) Slatkin performance, nicely coupled with 'Portsmouth Point', very cheaply here.

I'll definitely keep an ear out for that! I found Sargent on Spotify, and Boult is on there too (not sure about Thomson) - I've loved Walton 1 since my freshman year in college, where the orchestra performed it. I'd never heard of it up to that point, but I checked out the score from the library and sat in on a couple of rehearsals. I was blown away by the sheer power of the outer movements, the kinetic energy of the scherzo, and the tender melancholy of the slow movement. I'd still like to find the Slatkin, and it appears that performance is available for not too much in the U.S. as well.