Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicalgeek

Quote from: Florestan on May 31, 2024, 11:02:25 AMWhat a mess. Shame on them (USPS)!

Yeah, I thought the same! That somehow they were careless in handling the package...  >:(

Quote from: DavidW on May 31, 2024, 11:59:38 AMThat is terrible.  Also mind blowing that I was inspired by you and ordered from JPC AFTER you and received mine awhile ago.  Why couldn't usps deliver to you?????

I'm used to waiting up to two weeks for packages from JPC, so I wasn't surprised by the timeline; they shipped on May 17. But I checked the shipping status on Wednesday evening, and that's when I found out what happened to this order.  :'(

Quote from: JBS on May 31, 2024, 12:11:32 PMWell that's depressing. I can't remember ever seeing that tracking status before.

I was utterly shocked... I didn't know USPS could just throw packages away, but if they have a reason, apparently they can. >:(

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 31, 2024, 12:57:37 PMDid it clear customs before that happened? My recent JPC package entered customs in Los Angeles and vanished, no subsequent update and it's been 2 months. JPC refunded and I re-ordered the same product from grooves.land. It cleared customs in one day.

I wonder if JPC is somehow shipping with defective customs declaration paperwork.

The package actually cleared customs (also in L.A.) on May 23, and had made its way to Seattle, about 20 minutes from where I live. It then spent four days in the Seattle facility (due to the long Memorial Day weekend.) Then it once again hit the road on the 28th (Tuesday), and evidently on the way to the Seattle suburbs where I live, something happened to it that caused it to get 'disposed of'.  >:(

I'm really sorry one of your packages got lost in customs. :( I've heard of that happening. Glad you were able to order the same thing again! I'd do the same, but it wouldn't be at the crazy discount JPC was offering. Just an example: the Grieg Complete Orchestral Music cost me about $22, postage included in this sale. I can't find it for less than $40 now.

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 31, 2024, 01:32:11 PMWow!  I'm quite shocked!  I'd be tempted to call the USPS and find out more.  There are rules about shipping things.  Perhaps the label got soaked due to rain and they couldn't read it anymore?  That would be my first guess.  But yet, they contacted you?  So....?  Anyway, sorry for your bad fortune.  :(

PD

I wonder about the rain, because we had a couple of rainy days earlier here in the week. But why would they just 'dispose of' it, and not try to track down who it was sent to? As for my part of it, I wrote to JPC customer service explaining the situation (with screenshots.) The guy from JPC who responded said they would issue a refund, and contact the German Post. But it wasn't the German Post's fault, this definitely happened on the American side of things. I really wish they could have sent the order again. :( I do hear there is a form on the USPS's website where you can ask them to investigate lost packages (I struggle with phone calls as I had a stroke nearly five years ago that significantly impacted my speech) so maybe I'll do that.

--------------------------------------------

I Googled 'USPS disposed of package' and came across a Reddit thread where someone also had this happen to them:

"USPS does literally throw away packages if something happened to them to where they can not be delivered in good conscience. For instance, if your package was in a bin with something hazardous that spilled from another package, USPS will dispose of the whole lot."

I guess that's why I have little hope of actually receiving the discs I ordered. :(
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Brian

Wow, I've never seen that message before either. Wonder what hazardous situation the package got into. It would at least be nice to know, right? "We saved you from radioactive waste" - if they said that, you would feel more gratitude!

Brian

Quote from: JBS on May 31, 2024, 12:30:07 PMCouldn't resist Arkivmusic's Weekend Special price for this.

With shipping and sales tax it comes to $139US.

Help...temptation...rising...must...resist...

Quote from: Brian on May 26, 2024, 05:01:01 PMBonus: Arkivmusic does not charge sales tax for my state.

...temptation...rising...even...higher...

classicalgeek

Quote from: Brian on May 31, 2024, 05:41:11 PMWow, I've never seen that message before either. Wonder what hazardous situation the package got into. It would at least be nice to know, right? "We saved you from radioactive waste" - if they said that, you would feel more gratitude!

I might fill out the USPS inquiry for that reason! ;D I wouldn't expect them to answer, though...

classicalgeek

Quote from: Brian on May 31, 2024, 05:43:57 PMHelp...temptation...rising...must...resist...

...temptation...rising...even...higher...

Or you could throw in a few extra single discs and avoid the shipping costs too! ;D

Brian

Quote from: classicalgeek on May 31, 2024, 07:47:10 PMOr you could throw in a few extra single discs and avoid the shipping costs too! ;D
Have already started scouting  8)

Spotted Horses

Quote from: classicalgeek on May 31, 2024, 04:56:34 PMThe package actually cleared customs (also in L.A.) on May 23, and had made its way to Seattle, about 20 minutes from where I live. It then spent four days in the Seattle facility (due to the long Memorial Day weekend.) Then it once again hit the road on the 28th (Tuesday), and evidently on the way to the Seattle suburbs where I live, something happened to it that caused it to get 'disposed of'.  >:(

I'm really sorry one of your packages got lost in customs. :( I've heard of that happening. Glad you were able to order the same thing again! I'd do the same, but it wouldn't be at the crazy discount JPC was offering. Just an example: the Grieg Complete Orchestral Music cost me about $22, postage included in this sale. I can't find it for less than $40 now.

I can imagine how frustrated you are, especially considering how close it got to you before it was "disposed," and how you missed out on the sale offers. I asked ChatGPT what would cause a package to be disposed, and the answers are which I might have guessed. Package determined to be hazardous (not applicable), Package lacks customs documents (not applicable because it cleared customs) Package is determined to be a security risk (not applicable) Package was destroyed (seems like the most likely). The label can get detached or destroyed, but then it would fail to scan and you wouldn't know, even if they disposed it, I would think. I've actually received something where the package was destroyed but the postal service stuck the label to the item contained and delivered it anyway.

My case (a saga you can read about on the "on-line stores" thread) taxed my patience, but ultimately JPC refunded and I managed to purchase the same item for almost the same price from grooves.land. It took months before it was resolved.

Quote from: classicalgeek on May 31, 2024, 04:56:34 PMI wrote to JPC customer service explaining the situation (with screenshots.) The guy from JPC who responded said they would issue a refund, and contact the German Post. But it wasn't the German Post's fault, this definitely happened on the American side of things. I really wish they could have sent the order again. :( I do hear there is a form on the USPS's website where you can ask them to investigate lost packages (I struggle with phone calls as I had a stroke nearly five years ago that significantly impacted my speech) so maybe I'll do that.

I think JPC has to make the inquiry, because they are the ones who paid to ship the package, and to whom the shipper is responsible. In this case I would imagine the USPS is responsible to DHL, DHL is responsible to JPC, and JPC is responsible to you. After my package disappeared JPC said they would request in investigation, and some days later I got a letter from the USPS notifying me there was an investigation and asking me verify that the package did not arrive. Haven't heard anything since. Probably this allows JPC to get reimbursed based on whatever insurance was effective for the package.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: classicalgeek on May 31, 2024, 07:44:57 PMI might fill out the USPS inquiry for that reason! ;D I wouldn't expect them to answer, though...
Out of curiosity, I did a bit of googling and noticed that there had been some issues with mail thefts in Washington (state)--including mail trucks(!) and wonder if this might be related?  Probably not...just a thought.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

classicalgeek

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 31, 2024, 11:43:14 PMI can imagine how frustrated you are, especially considering how close it got to you before it was "disposed," and how you missed out on the sale offers. I asked ChatGPT what would cause a package to be disposed, and the answers are which I might have guessed. Package determined to be hazardous (not applicable), Package lacks customs documents (not applicable because it cleared customs) Package is determined to be a security risk (not applicable) Package was destroyed (seems like the most likely). The label can get detached or destroyed, but then it would fail to scan and you wouldn't know, even if they disposed it, I would think. I've actually received something where the package was destroyed but the postal service stuck the label to the item contained and delivered it anyway.

My case (a saga you can read about on the "on-line stores" thread) taxed my patience, but ultimately JPC refunded and I managed to purchase the same item for almost the same price from grooves.land. It took months before it was resolved.

I think JPC has to make the inquiry, because they are the ones who paid to ship the package, and to whom the shipper is responsible. In this case I would imagine the USPS is responsible to DHL, DHL is responsible to JPC, and JPC is responsible to you. After my package disappeared JPC said they would request in investigation, and some days later I got a letter from the USPS notifying me there was an investigation and asking me verify that the package did not arrive. Haven't heard anything since. Probably this allows JPC to get reimbursed based on whatever insurance was effective for the package.

Thank you for this excellent explanation - I can kind of see how it all works together now. Though it would be nice to get some answers, to know why it was 'disposed of'!

I'll definitely check out your story. I know postal service mishaps are rare, but they do happen, as I've found out!

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 01, 2024, 12:19:08 AMOut of curiosity, I did a bit of googling and noticed that there had been some issues with mail thefts in Washington (state)--including mail trucks(!) and wonder if this might be related?  Probably not...just a thought.

PD

Now that would be an interesting way to lose a package - the mail truck was stolen! Who knows, it could be true!

I filled out the USPS Help Request form... only to be told 'there was a problem submitting your request, try again later'  >:(  I guess I'll try tomorrow.

DavidW

I sold something on Ebay back last fall.  And for whatever reason usps just would not deliver the package.  It just kept being bounced around different distribution centers, and with no delivery in sight.  And there was no way that the address was wrong because the buyer has bought other things off Ebay and I bought the shipping right off Ebay.

So what did I do?  I refunded him, I made an insurance claim and a week or two later USPS reimbursed me with no questions asked.  So if you're a buyer, do not feel guilty about asking for a refund if you never received the goods (even though you know it is not the shops fault).  It is not hard for the seller to be reimbursed.

These things occasionally happen unfortunately, and that is why shipping insurance exists.  The only sad thing is that you can't get it replaced at the same price because the sale is over.

nico1616

Kossenko is a great baroque conductor and amazon.fr had good prices for these.
The first half of life is spent in longing for the second, the second half in regretting the first.

classicalgeek

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 31, 2024, 01:32:11 PMWow!  I'm quite shocked!  I'd be tempted to call the USPS and find out more.  There are rules about shipping things.  Perhaps the label got soaked due to rain and they couldn't read it anymore?  That would be my first guess.  But yet, they contacted you?  So....?  Anyway, sorry for your bad fortune.  :(

PD

Well, I waited until the next day, and I tried submitting the USPS's inquiry form in three different browsers, and I get the same result: "There was a problem submitting your Service Request. Please try again later." I DID "try again later"!!!  >:(  >:(  >:(  I don't know how long to keep at it before I just give up.

Florestan

Quote from: classicalgeek on June 01, 2024, 12:52:52 PMWell, I waited until the next day, and I tried submitting the USPS's inquiry form in three different browsers, and I get the same result: "There was a problem submitting your Service Request. Please try again later." I DID "try again later"!!!  >:(  >:(  >:(  I don't know how long to keep at it before I just give up.

It's probably not a bug but a feature, expressly designed to make you (or anyone else in your situation) just give up.  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

ritter

Quote from: classicalgeek on June 01, 2024, 12:52:52 PMWell, I waited until the next day, and I tried submitting the USPS's inquiry form in three different browsers, and I get the same result: "There was a problem submitting your Service Request. Please try again later." I DID "try again later"!!!  >:(  >:(  >:(  I don't know how long to keep at it before I just give up.
Can't it be done in person at a Post Office?

I had a problem when sending a parcel by express mail from Spain to the UK. Spanish Mail said it had arrived in the UK, and the Royal Mail said they hadn't received it (I suspect it was stuck somewhere in customs — yes, the delights of Brexit  >:D ). I asked at the Post Office, and they advised me to "report the incidence" (which is short of a formal complaint). The Royal Mail insisted they had no news of the parcel, but finally delivered it about a month late. In the meantime, I received a notification from Spanish Mail that I could collect a —significant— compensation payment in cash from the post office.