What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

Ralph Vaughan Williams - Violin Sonata (Music Group of London)
Olivier

SonicMan46

Quote from: "Harry" on February 15, 2020, 12:23:39 AM
Good morning Que
Spotify seems to be giving you joy. You certainly try out a lot of things.

G'day Harry - Spotify is a great streaming service - I've made dozens of playlists and listen in my den (via a Roku device), in the bedroom (Sonos smart speaker), and on my portable devices w/ Bluetooth headphones/travel speaker - and is great for previewing a LOT of music; e.g. just yesterday, I was listening to my small Fibich collection and Spotify had all 12 volumes of Marian Lapsansky's piano recordings!  There are certainly many other 'streaming' services (e.g. Amazon, Apple Music, etc) to pick.  Dave :)

SonicMan46

Fischer, Johann Caspar (1656-1746) - only the first two top CDs below in my collection at the moment; reading his short bio HERE - apparently admired by Bach & Handel (Fischer was 24 yrs older and lived almost to the death of Bach!) - little of his music seems available, but I'm sure he wrote a LOT!  Just ordered the two discs at the bottom of his 'late in life' "Musikalischer Parnassus (Musical Parnassus, c. 1738), nine dance suites for harpsichord, each named after one of the Muses." (from the link).  Dave 

Harry

Well I will be a bit out of my listening room, too, first there is Dennis the expected storm, which could be bad too, and my preamplifier Pass Labs X 1 plus the power feed is to the repair shop, to get in a new Led display. It was already replaced 3 years ago, but lost again 3 leds in the process of those years, which was unusual, so Pass labs send a replacement for free. Although I hope this will be the last time that it will to have replaced in the coming 10 years.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

pi2000

George Enescu violin, piano, conducting from here:
https://www.norpete.com/s0759.html
Mozart Andante from VC 7 271a
Mendelssohn Andante VC(both recordings from 1937)
The sound is better than on youtube, but with some weird sound drops(filtering?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kww_jJloX5I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sGfk1f35-0
There is also Brahms 4th Symphony (Bucharest 1940?)
and a surprise, a private recording (rehearsal?) of Xavier Depraz(bass) and G. Enesco(piano) with excerpts from Oedipe. He is Oedipe in the following recording:
[asin] B07P9S4696[/asin]
:-*

aligreto

Shostakovich: Symphony No. 15 [Kondrashin]

This is a work of many contrasts ranging from light and quirky to thoughtful and profound. The performance here is always atmospheric, engaging and compelling and quite powerful in its conclusion.

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 15, 2020, 07:38:12 AM
Fischer, Johann Caspar (1656-1746) - only the first two top CDs below in my collection at the moment; reading his short bio HERE - apparently admired by Bach & Handel (Fischer was 24 yrs older and lived almost to the death of Bach!) - little of his music seems available, but I'm sure he wrote a LOT!  Just ordered the two discs at the bottom of his 'late in life' "Musikalischer Parnassus (Musical Parnassus, c. 1738), nine dance suites for harpsichord, each named after one of the Muses." (from the link).  Dave 

Cheers Dave. I have no Fischer in my collection. I must investigate further.

SonicMan46

Quote from: aligreto on February 15, 2020, 07:57:26 AM
Cheers Dave. I have no Fischer in my collection. I must investigate further.

Hi Aligreto - well, not much available - attached are several excellent reviews of the L'Orfeo Baroque Orchestra recording (much influence from the court of Louis XIV w/ French dance themes); could not find much on Olga Martynova but her performance and the sound recording are superb; she plays a harpsichord reproduction of a 'French model', made by William Dowd, USA, 1970s - in the link that I gave previously, Bach's early biographer stated  "Johann Nikolaus Forkel ranked Fischer as one of the best composers for keyboard of his day" - David Hurwitz of ClassicsToday reviewed the Luc Beauséjour CDs that I just purchased (reviews also included) wondering about the influence Fischer might have had on the WTC compositions?  Dave

San Antone

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 13, 2020, 06:50:56 PM
Very nice. I have this recording somewhere. :) Have you checked out any of the chamber or solo piano music yet?

I know the string quartets and they're very good, albeit I'm not too fond of the 3rd one.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: San Antone on February 13, 2020, 07:56:48 PM
Thanks for posting about this composer, he is a new name for me.  Plus string quartets are my favorite form, I enjoyed them very much.

8)

Glad you enjoyed them more than I did!

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Florestan on February 14, 2020, 01:04:04 AM
Agreed. I have and listened to all 3 volumes of the series. Given the time they were written and the enthusiastic reviews they received this music should be right up my alley yet it is not. It's what I call Kapelmeistermusik: solidly constructed and serious in purpose but ultimately unimaginative and unengaging. It lacks passion and vitality but tbh I don't know if it's the fault of the music itself or of the performance.

I tend to agree with you, Andrei. Yesterday I heard the next quartets and my impression was similar: entertaining but without substance, without spark.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on February 15, 2020, 07:00:30 AM
Ralph Vaughan Williams - Violin Sonata (Music Group of London)
A marvellous craggy late work (do you agree Christo?) and that's it's best recording.

TD:

A wonderful CD of Bloch's piano music.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on February 15, 2020, 09:53:22 AM
A marvellous craggy late work (do you agree Christo?) and that's it's best recording.

How come, craggy?!?!? Never heard this oblique qualification before. :-X Marvelous it is though.  8)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on February 15, 2020, 09:58:06 AM
How come, craggy?!?!? Never heard this oblique qualification before. :-X Marvelous it is though.  8)

It's definitely craggy like the late Fantasia on the Old 104th Psalm Tune.

8)

Olivier you need to hear this unusual work.

:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Papy Oli

Quote from: vandermolen on February 15, 2020, 09:59:41 AM
It's definitely craggy like the late Fantasia on the Old 104th Psalm Tune.
8)
Olivier you need to hear this unusual work.
:)

I can confirm you've used craggy a few times between 2008 and 2014 in the RVW thread...  ;D (yes i am reading it all - page 110 so far -  as i am making my way through the 30 CD collection). The violin sonata didn't work for me. I'll get to that Fantasia in due course. 
Olivier

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Papy Oli on February 15, 2020, 10:29:01 AM
The violin sonata didn't work for me. I'll get to that Fantasia in due course.

Most likely the Fantasia won't work for you either. I'm rather surprised you do like a few works of VW!  :P

Noam Chomsky

Maestro267

Myaskovsky: Cello Concerto
Maisky (cello)/Russian National Orchestra/Pletnev

aligreto

Stravinsky: Concerto for Piano and Wind Instruments [Magaloff/Ansermet]

This work is always an exhilarating listen with its relentless forward momentum.