What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: The new erato on October 10, 2019, 01:14:51 PM
Fourth listen in a month. Holy cow what a work and what a performance.

You're making me hearing it once again. I've only listened to the cpo recording, but I think it's not the definitive performance. The Caprice rendition has received more praises.

André

Symphonies nos 5 and 6. I've read all kinds of critics and comments on these performances. For some reason they seem to have elicited rather polarized feelings. My own response is extremely positive. I hear what bothers some - the perceived aloofness, the emotional neutrality, the analytical stance. It reminds me of criticisms leveled at Boulez or Maazel. It could be justified if your idea of a nielsenesque symphonic journey entails high levels of emotional engagement (adrenalin) and a fondness for coruscating colours and blazing perorations. A nordic Janacek, then. I happen to fancy that, too, a lot actually. :)

What I hear in these performances is incredible refinement of textures, X-ray like perspective on the score's orchestration, infinite attention to balances, clarity and refinement of playing ( the NYP is simply glorious). Am I talking Debussy here? No, but there is something to be said for shedding LED lighting on Nielsen's music (I wish they'd give us some Sibelius, too!).

I often praise an orchestral execution and recording that brings transparency and clarity to the music at hand. Here it's the actual conception of the music that is clear and transparent. It helps that the execution is so refined and the recording so well balanced.

Not the only way to approach these work, but I enjoyed this disc tremendously.

SymphonicAddict

Symphony No. 3

I consider it my favorite Alwyn symphony. Such a coruscating piece!! My kind of stuff!! It even has some Nielsen, Walton and VW elements listening to it carefully. The LSO sound relentless, shattering, violent, threatening, accurate. Hickox and his orchestra made a stupendous job here. I'm thoroughly impressed and delighted to say the least!! To sum up, what a blast!!

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: André on October 10, 2019, 01:44:12 PM

Symphonies nos 5 and 6. I've read all kinds of critics and comments on these performances. For some reason they seem to have elicited rather polarized feelings. My own response is extremely positive. I hear what bothers some - the perceived aloofness, the emotional neutrality, the analytical stance. It reminds me of criticisms leveled at Boulez or Maazel. It could be justified if your idea of a nielsenesque symphonic journey entails high levels of emotional engagement (adrenalin) and a fondness for coruscating colours and blazing perorations. A nordic Janacek, then. I happen to fancy that, too, a lot actually. :)

What I hear in these performances is incredible refinement of textures, X-ray like perspective on the score's orchestration, infinite attention to balances, clarity and refinement of playing ( the NYP is simply glorious). Am I talking Debussy here? No, but there is something to be said for shedding LED lighting on Nielsen's music (I wish they'd give us some Sibelius, too!).

I often praise an orchestral execution and recording that brings transparency and clarity to the music at hand. Here it's the actual conception of the music that is clear and transparent. It helps that the execution is so refined and the recording so well balanced.

Not the only way to approach these work, but I enjoyed this disc tremendously.

Oh yes, that set is a real winner.

SymphonicAddict

I succumbed to temptation, I'm listening to the Pettersson's VC. I don't have the aforementioned recording on my hands, so I'm playing it on YouTube. So far, intense, very intense, powerfully intense.

http://www.youtube.com/v/hv19nLH9cqQ

Wakefield

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on October 10, 2019, 12:24:41 PM

It looks interesting! I had forgotten this disk. The last recording of these concertos that I purchased was Seiler/ Concerto Köln, which is playing in my system as I write this. 
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

André

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on October 10, 2019, 02:21:27 PM
I far prefer that old LP to the new SACD from BIS. If the latter were the only one available, then it would be perfectly fine, but Haendel's is in another universe.

Absolutely. She looks down on the competition from a great height. Plus, she plays the more challenging unrevised score. Not that the latter is child play in comparison, but a layer of intensity is missing.

André

Symphonies 2 and 3. Same comments as above (symphonies 5 and 6). In the glorious 3rd symphony Gilbert nails the tempo of the finale unerringly. Once again the orchestra sounds in a league of its own. Kudos to the Dacapo sound crew for achieving punch and transparency in perfect balance.

SymphonicAddict

Violin Concerto

A first listen to this work. A dramatic and melancholy concerto full of arresting moments. Unexpectedly thrilling. Great discovery.

Karl Henning

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 10, 2019, 06:14:43 PM

Violin Concerto

A first listen to this work. A dramatic and melancholy concerto full of arresting moments. Unexpectedly thrilling. Great discovery.

I love all the Flagello I've heard.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Moonfish

Stravaganze
The King's Noyse, David Douglass

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Daverz

Sgambati: Piano Concerto

[asin] B00005MGAN[/asin]

Not quite on the level of the symphonies, but very ingratiating music.

Raff: Symphony No. 9, "Im Sommer"

[asin] B000C1W2VC[/asin]

Very charming.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Moonfish on October 10, 2019, 06:39:19 PM
Stravaganze
The King's Noyse, David Douglass

You know it's been a long day, when you misread that as: The King's Nose.

A long day, but a good day!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Moonfish

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 10, 2019, 07:16:22 PM
You know it's been a long day, when you misread that as: The King's Nose.

A long day, but a good day!

Noses matter!
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Anna Lappé

SimonNZ

Moonfish

Gaultier: Apollon Orateur - 17th Century French Lute Music
Anthony Bailes

Anna Lappé

vandermolen

Quote from: André on October 10, 2019, 01:23:15 PM
Hear! Hear!  ;D
+2  :)
TD
Last night:

Arnold: Symphony 1
Possibly my favourite although I like them all.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Tsaraslondon

Not an actual Vivaldi Vespers, nor even a reconstruction of a particular event, more a liturgical concert of the type one might have heard back in Vivaldi's day to celebrate a day in the Christian calendar, in this case the Feast of the Assumption.

The performances by Alessandrini and his team are excellent and, though we have over two hours of music here, the selection is nicely varied.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

SimonNZ