What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

This one has finally landed from the US Market place  8)

Vaughan Williams - symphonies No.8 & 9 (Boult/LPO)

[asin]B00004YA0V[/asin]
Olivier

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 20, 2020, 04:40:50 AM
Wow (on both accounts)!  What would 25p be worth now I wonder?  Was that inexpensive even then?  How badly damaged was the shop?   :(

PD

It was incredibly cheap then as well.  I bought four LPs (five as the Janacek was a double album) for £1.00. My best ever bargain purchase. I don't know about the shop but hope that nobody was hurt. I was a student at Lancaster in the North of England at the time and was told by the record shop (they existed then  :() that the LPs had come from stock in a shop which had been damaged by a bomb in N.Ireland.

Thread duty:
From Ossian's Songs - hauntingly atmospheric music, rather like Liadov:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on February 20, 2020, 05:04:36 AM
This one has finally landed from the US Market place  8)

Vaughan Williams - symphonies No.8 & 9 (Boult/LPO)

[asin]B00004YA0V[/asin]
No.9 is especially good IMO Olivier.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Traverso

Ruth Crawford Seeger

Ruth Crawford Seeger (1901 - 1953)
Music for small orchestra 
Three Chants 
Etude for Piano "study in mixed accents"
Three Songs
String Quartet 1931
2 Ricercare
Andante for Strings
Rissolty Rossolty

Charles Seeger (1886 - 1979)
John Hardy (1940)

Suite (1952)

vandermolen

Alun Hoddinott: Symphony No.3 (1968)
I fancied something a bit grittier:

Irons

Quote from: Papy Oli on February 20, 2020, 03:57:44 AM
Only the Hickox version in the collectors edition it seems. I have made a note to try the Willcocks later on, thank you.

TD: More RVW (Music group of London)

Phantasy Quintet for 2 violins, 2 violas and cello
Six Studies in English Folk songs
String Quartet in A minor No.2

Love the atmospheric Six Studies. Folk songs without singing. :)
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

San Antone

John Cage: Fourteen - Four6 - Four3
The Barton Workshop

Irons

Quote from: aukhawk on February 20, 2020, 04:00:39 AM
I'm impressed.  I took about 800 of the things down to the landfill a few months ago.  Retained about 30 for sentimental reasons.
Also took a similar number of empty CD jewel cases - retained the contents, now occupying a fraction of the space.

CD jewel cases are not great. Impressed with the Alto Miaskovsky set with 14 CDs in nifty little envelopes in a box which uses a little over an inch in shelf space.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Irons on February 20, 2020, 05:49:25 AM
Love the atmospheric Six Studies. Folk songs without singing. :)

I did enjoy those too, Lol, nice feel to it... as well as the Phantasy Quintet.
The second SQ was a bit more problematic  :-X
Olivier

Mirror Image

Quote from: Traverso on February 20, 2020, 05:13:41 AM
Ruth Crawford Seeger

Music for small orchestra 
Three Chants 
Etude for Piano "study in mixed accents"
Three Songs
String Quartet 1931
2 Ricercare
Andante for Strings
Rissolty Rossolty

Charles Seeger (1886 - 1979)
John Hardy (1940)

Suite (1952)

Nice! Finally got it I see. ;)

Mirror Image

Debussy
Images, Books I & II
Jacobs

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on February 20, 2020, 06:01:31 AM
CD jewel cases are not great. Impressed with the Alto Miaskovsky set with 14 CDs in nifty little envelopes in a box which uses a little over an inch in shelf space.
There was a whole song-and-dance about that box Lol. I constantly had to measure the Warner Miaskovsky box which features additional CDs due to the other orchestral works. Then they realised that what they had ordered was too small, so back to the drawing board! I'm glad you're pleased with it.

Now playing:
Glazunov Symphony No.3 - one of the best of the cycle I think:

vandermolen

Kamran Ince
Fall of Constantinople
American minimalists meet the soundtrack to Conan the Barbarian - great stuff:

André

Ludvig Irgens Jensen

Disc 2 of the CPO set:

Tema con variazioni and the Sinfonia in re (two movement version) from this disc (Gruner-Hegge in Tema and Fjleldstad in the symphony):

Passacaglia and Partita sinfonica from this disc:

I listened to the CPO twice. The others have been in my collection (and mind) for some years, but I last listened to them in 2016. The jury is still out, but leans firmly toward the older discs. I plan another listening session to them all before deciding if this preliminary opinion holds.

vandermolen

Quote from: André on February 20, 2020, 07:37:30 AM
Ludvig Irgens Jensen

Disc 2 of the CPO set:

Tema con variazioni and the Sinfonia in re (two movement version) from this disc (Gruner-Hegge in Tema and Fjleldstad in the symphony):

Passacaglia and Partita sinfonica from this disc:

I listened to the CPO twice. The others have been in my collection (and mind) for some years, but I last listened to them in 2016. The jury is still out, but leans firmly toward the older discs. I plan another listening session to them all before deciding if this preliminary opinion holds.
A great set. A pity they couldn't release Gruner-Hegge's recording of Klaus Egge's First Symphony ('Hegge Conducts Egge')  ::)

André

Now listening to the symphony (Sinfonia) from this disc:

I only have the symphony, copied for me by a friend. I wouldn't mind buying the disc, but it's very pricey. The 27 minute symphony in one movement is a superb work, one of the most impressive to come out of Norway - as good as Egge's 1st IMO. Kielland lived from 1901 to 1985. The symphony was written in 1935. It is conducted by the composer, in 1982. The orchestra is the Royal Philharmonic. It seems that there is another version of the work, recorded the previous year and also conducted by the composer, this time with the London Philharmonic, released on Philips. That is quite unusual. I wonder if they are one and the same. According to the info on hand (Discogs) the timing difference is 8 seconds.

steve ridgway

I'm leaning back and letting some of Scelsi's music wash over me. At the moment it's Manto for viola.

[asin] B004TB6GF4[/asin]

Marc

Quote from: Traverso on February 20, 2020, 09:18:30 AM
Bach

CD 1

Wow.
Ur lucky having that boxset.

People who know Rübsam only from his Naxos (and later) recordings, would have a hard time believing their ears.