What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherSpin, Daverz and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Henk

Great recording.

It makes imo sense to perceive the voices in a work like Berio's as coming from the unconsious or memories.
'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

DavidW

Quote from: ritter on March 26, 2024, 12:42:38 PMYou guys are really strange  :o ... The first classical piece I remember (I must have been four at the time) is Stockhausen's Gruppen.

Ha!

Linz

Shostakovich Symphony No. 4 in C minor Op.43, Gennady Rozhdestvensky, USSR Ministry of Culture Symphony Orchestra

brewski

Quote from: ritter on March 26, 2024, 12:42:38 PMYou guys are really strange  :o ... The first classical piece I remember (I must have been four at the time) is Stockhausen's Gruppen.

So that explains it!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Seriously, and I thought I got an early start with postwar music, but you win the prize. 🏆

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Todd

Starting in on the Abbado Sony/RCA box.  33 of the 39 discs are new to me.  If only one is good, all the rest are gravy.  Since Abbado's Sony Boris Godunov is my reference, I decided to start with this Mussorgsky recording.  Lots of gravy awaits me.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

ritter

Quote from: brewski on March 26, 2024, 02:26:36 PMSo that explains it!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Seriously, and I thought I got an early start with postwar music, but you win the prize. 🏆

-Bruce
TBH, the first classical  compositions  I remember were:

Stravinsky's The Firebird. My parents had Lorin Maazel's recording of the suite (on DG) in their collection, and I remember the introduction would scare the living daylights out of me!  ;D

Then, there was the opening andante grazioso of Mozart's Piano Sonata No. 11, which was used by Austrian TV (I lived in Vienna from age 3 to 8) to tell children it was bedtime.

Boulez and Stockhausen came somewhat later... ;)

brewski

Quote from: ritter on March 26, 2024, 02:37:48 PMTBH, the first classical  compositions  I remember were:

Stravinsky's The Firebird. My parents had Lorin Maazel's recording of the suite (on DG) in their collection, and I remember the introduction would scare the living daylights out of me!  ;D

Then, there was the opening andante grazioso of Mozart's Piano Sonata No. 11, which was used by Austrian TV (I lived in Vienna from age 3 to 8) to tell children it was bedtime.

Boulez and Stockhausen came somewhat later... ;)

Amazing. Thanks for that bit of personal history. And so much for people starting out with Bach. (Nothing wrong with that, of course.)

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Mapman

Mozart: Piano Sonata #8, K. 310
Perahia

The rondo is great!

Spotted Horses

Quote from: DavidW on March 26, 2024, 06:08:55 AMI started

But I'm not clicking with it, so I switched to Chopin (joining the bandwagon) and I immediately prefer this Pollini album:

Not clicking with the greatest audio recording of all time?
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Pohjolas Daughter

Kodaly's Sonata for Solo Cello with Janos Starker on Delos.
Pohjolas Daughter

foxandpeng

Philip Glass
Naqoyqatsi
Michael Riesman
Philip Glass Ensemble

Unquestionably Glass. Good for the small hours.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

JBS

Starting off another box set

CD 1
Concerto for Clarinet and String Orchestra (with Harp and Piano)*
Quartet for Piano and Strings**
Piano Variations***
Nocturne****
Vitebsk*****
Ukelele Serenade****

*A Copland conducting
Benny Goodman clarinet
Columbia String Orchestra
Recorded Nov 17, 1951
**New York Quartet
Recorded Feb 28, 1951
***A Copland Piano
****Comprising Nos 1 and 2 of Two Pieces for Violin and Orchestra
Jacques Gorden violin
A Copland piano
*****Ivor Karman violin
David Freed cello
A Copland piano
These last four were all recorded April 22, 1935.

Both the Clarinet Concerto (with Goodman) and the Quartet were recorded again in the 1960s, as was the orchestral version of the Variations: two of several works with two performances in this set.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

AnotherSpin

steve ridgway

Messiaen: Harawi - Chant D'Amour Et De Mort

steve ridgway

Holst: The Planets (RPO, Groves)

Roasted Swan

Traverso

Weckmann

No SACD in this box

Pohjolas Daughter

Last night, I followed the Kodaly with Disc 1 from this set:

It is comprised of: 

Jealousy (the original prelude to Jenufa)
The Cunning Little Vixen - Suite
Šárka - Overture
Taras Bulba

Great performances and in wonderful sound (also available as a DVD).
Pohjolas Daughter

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy