What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherSpin

Pohjolas Daughter

Y
Quote from: Brian on April 12, 2024, 11:04:03 AMIt always happens the same way...I don't listen to any Martinu for a month or so, then listen to one miniature or short work (in this case, 'Serenata II' for string orchestra), and it lights the spark all over again, and I have to listen to Martinu endlessly for hours.

8)

Yes!  ;) lol   Gottcha!  Was trying to get the "grin" in --which didn't work.
Pohjolas Daughter

Lisztianwagner

Gustav Mahler
Symphony No.8

Leonard Bernstein & Wiener Philharmoniker

"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

DavidW

Mapman

Haydn: Symphony #86
Rattle: CBSO

Wonderful! I especially like the opening of the exposition of the 1st movement. It's not what you'd expect for a symphonic 1st theme.

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on April 11, 2024, 08:05:01 PMThanks! I honestly never heard of him before.
Nor me, and I would likely have thought Peter Max, too.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 12, 2024, 03:07:09 AMThat's what I had initially thought! lol

And I see that the server is struggling again today (at least in my area).  :(

PD
Still a bit of a sluggard!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on April 12, 2024, 05:15:47 AMJulius Fučík
A Festival of Fučík
RSNO - Neeme Järvi

I didn't realize Fučík had so much music outside of the Florentiner March, here with concert overtures, concert waltzes, and concert marches. Surprised by the marches centered around the Mississippi River and Teddy Roosevelt, although I suppose Sousa was admired.

Great fun!
VS

There's a composer's name to break the ice at anglophone parties!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Cato on April 12, 2024, 08:53:46 AMRobert Simpson wrote two books on Bruckner, which I read when they were first published: excellent ideas and explanations!
He also admired Sibelius and Nielsen and wrote about them.

I have the Nielsen book, and I ought to read it!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

foxandpeng

Quote from: Harry on April 12, 2024, 01:31:58 AMCharles Villiers Stanford.
Symphonies Nr.1-7, Complete.

Symphony No. 1.
Ulster Orchestra, Vernon Handley.
Recorded at the Ulster Hall, Belfast, 1986-1991.

I think the symphonies of Stanford are amongst the most impressive in the English symphonic repertoire of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Their rich late-romantic style is imbued with a distinctive, and discernibly Irish flavour. You actually hear Irish folk music,and  authentic folk-tunes. When I bought them way back, 1993 I think, I immediately fell for the charm of this music. Still impressive recordings and excellent performances. The first disc of this box.

Go on, Harry. I am also a fan (surprisingly enough), and couldn't agree more.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Que

Cato

Quote from: Karl Henning on April 12, 2024, 02:04:22 PMThere's a composer's name to break the ice at anglophone parties!

I think of the German, whose last name means "Fox" in English, and whose book on composition I studied assiduously in my grade-school years...

In modern German the spelling is bad enough for the "Anglophone" world, i.e. Fuchs.

Gradus ad Parnassum by Johann Josef Fux *

* (Foox!)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Symphonic Addict

Rouse: Symphony No. 3

The homage Rouse paid to Prokofiev's Symphony No. 2 with this work following the same form of the Russian one is nothing short of admirable. I like how tumultuous the first movement is, and the deeply dreamy music one hears in some variations of the 2nd movement lingers in the mind. This is a work that is seamlessly attractive, no dull parts whatsoever. A masterpiece.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

foxandpeng

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 12, 2024, 03:06:41 PMRouse: Symphony No. 3

The homage Rouse paid to Prokofiev's Symphony No. 2 with this work following the same form of the Russian one is nothing short of admirable. I like how tumultuous the first movement is, and the deeply dreamy music one hears in some variations of the 2nd movement lingers in the mind. This is a work that is seamlessly attractive, no dull parts whatsoever. A masterpiece.

Rouse has deep hooks into me. I applaud your taste 😃
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Mapman

Martinů: String Trio #2 & Dohnányi: Serenade for string trio
Domus

The 3rd movement of Dohnányi's Serenade is a fugal Scherzo, which at the end of the movement is superimposed with the Trio. The end of the 4th movement is lovely, with a similar texture to the opening of Sibelius' Violin Concerto.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: foxandpeng on April 12, 2024, 04:31:07 PMRouse has deep hooks into me. I applaud your taste 😃

Good to know you enjoy his music too, Danny. An extraordinary composer. I regret his premature passing.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Enescu's music for cello and piano: Two cello sonatas (in F minor and in C major); Allegro in F minor; Nocturne et Saltarello

Astonishing both the music and the performances. These four works are seriously brilliant. I mean, truly remarkable all around.

Noam Chomsky

JBS

Albinoni
In G Major for two oboes Opus 8 Number 6
In C Major for trumpet, three oboes, bassoon, and continuo
In d minor Opus 9 Number 2
In C Major for two oboes Opus 9 Number 9
Vivaldi
In C Major for two oboes, two clarinets and strings RV560
In F Major RV455
In C Major for two clarinets, two oboes, and strings RV559
Oboe 1 Paul Goodwin
Oboe 2 Lorraine Wood
Oboe 3 Gail Hennessey
Baroque Clarinets Colin Lawson/Michael Harris
Bassoon (Albinoni)Alistair Mitchell
Bassoon Sally Jackson*
Natural Trumpet Mark Bennett
Violins Roy Goodman/Miles Golding/Simon Standage
Viola Jane Compton
Cello Jane Coe
Double Bass Peter Buckoke
Archlute David Miller
Harpsichord/Chamber Organ/Direction Robert King
Recorded London January 1990

*As continuo, I suppose, although outside the Albinoni in C Major I haven't heard any bassoon sounds.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

T. D.