What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maestro267 (+ 1 Hidden) and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Linz

Hermann Nitsch Für Anton Bruckner
Anton Bruckner Symphony No. 5 in B Flat Major, 1878 Version Ed. Leopold Nowak, European Philharmonic Orchestra, Peter Jan Marthè

foxandpeng

Quote from: vandermolen on April 13, 2024, 11:16:36 PMHelvi Leiviska :Symphony No.1 (1947)
Amazon owed me a refund so I used part of it to get this double CD. I found the Symphony to be of great interest. Hurwitz enthused about it as well. I haven't listened to the Piano Concerto yet. I will need to listen to the Symphony several times to grasp it but my attention was held throughout. It is a very atmospheric work which is not quite like anything else I have heard but tonal and approachable. It sounds both anachronistic and contemporary (if that makes sense!) I found the end to be rather moving. Of course Rasilainen recorded all the Atterberg symphonies:
PS I'm listening to the Piano Concerto - it's not full of big tunes but there is something worthwhile going on here.

I like Helvi Leiviska's Symphony #1 very much indeed, as with her #2. Very worthwhile, particularly after enough listens to generate familiarity. Thumbs up from me, anyhoo.

TD:

Sir Hubert Parry
Symphony 1
London Philharmonic
Matthias Bamert

Outside of my regular listening arc, but always enjoyable to revisit Parry's symphonies. They are monuments to their time, in some respects, but I do like them and they form part of the rich heritage of music from these fair islands, so why not? Working with no phone to hand, so good old YouTube for the choons.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Lisztianwagner

Hans Werner Henze
Symphony No.1

Marek Janowski & Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester Berlin

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

foxandpeng

Adorate Deum/Gregorian Chant
From the Proper of the Mass
Anonymous
Alberto Turco
Nova Schola Gregoriana
Naxos Early Music

Hm. Gregorian Chant in the mid-evening. Interesting. This sort of thing tends to pop up in the middle of the night for me, rather than at this time. It does make me want to dim the lights and light candles, despite my aversion to such ecclesial overtones...
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Linz

Mussorgsky Pictures at an Exhibition
Respighi Rossiniana, L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, Ernest Ansermet

Todd

mahler10th

Today I listened to a lot of Walter Braunfels.
What great music - it's music that's happy to be music itself.  I will return to Braunfels. I really like what I'm hearing.   :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: mahler10th on April 15, 2024, 12:18:55 PMToday I listened to a lot of Walter Braunfels.
What great music - it's music that's happy to be music itself.  I will return to Braunfels. I really like what I'm hearing.   :)
I don't know his music.  What is it like?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brian

Just the two works by Qigang Chen: a ten-minute suite called The Five Elements, then a violin concerto called The Joy of Suffering. (Hmm.)

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 6 in A Major, 1881 Version. Ed. Robert Haas, Wiener Philharmoniker, Horst Stein 

Madiel

I reject the claims of total subjectivity just as much as I would reject claims of objectivity.

No, it is not totally subjective. Opinions about art are not random. They do not sit on a bell curve.

Treating any one review as gospel truth is an error. Treating the collective wisdom of reviews as worthless is just the opposite error.

And one that makes me wonder why people are on the forum, frankly. Here we are, constantly sharing mini-reviews, and every now and then someone seems to declare that sharing opinions is utterly valueless, which would make what they are reading AND POSTING an exercise in futility.

I care what other people write about music and performances. That's why I read it.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Harry

Quote from: mahler10th on April 15, 2024, 12:18:55 PMToday I listened to a lot of Walter Braunfels.
What great music - it's music that's happy to be music itself.  I will return to Braunfels. I really like what I'm hearing.  :)

Join the bandwagon. Braunfels is a great composer, whatever the criticasters say, calling him a third rate composer. The first CD I listen to, was a long time ago, and since then I always looked for follow ups, it was a lonely wait. But lately it gained speed, and there is a impressive line up of his compositions waiting to be bought and heard.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 15, 2024, 02:40:34 AMI've heard that William Schuman CD before and enjoyed it.  :)

PD

Yes, it's a remarkable piece. The recording I heard yesterday captured the bass drum quite well, that was a feature I liked very much.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 15, 2024, 07:35:16 AMI'd picked up the Linde disc cheap a few months ago but was prompted by your post to listen for the 1st time.  Very good immediate impressions - the violin concerto is quite Walton-esque I thought (a good thing in my book) similar sort of nostalgic but biting harmony and lots of jagged rhythms and melodic shapes - not jazzy but wouldn't have been written that way if there had never been any jazz.... (does that make sense?!)

Linde, whilst not a top-tier composer, did write music with purpose. That Naxos disc is a good entry to his output. The two symphonies, orchestral music and chamber pieces are worth listening too.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Koechlin: Le Buisson ardent - Symphonic poem

There are moments of transcendent beauty that strike me like moving and arresting at once. Magical music.

Noam Chomsky

VonStupp

CM von Weber
Grand Potpourri in D Major, op. 20

Raphael Wallfisch, cello
Northern Chamber Orchestra

The billowy acoustic seems out-of-place for this music, but I enjoy Wallfisch's playing in this fantasia-like showpiece.
VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Daverz

Quote from: VonStupp on April 15, 2024, 02:53:28 PMCM von Weber
Grand Potpourri in D Major, op. 20

Raphael Wallfisch, cello
Northern Chamber Orchestra

The billowy acoustic seems out-of-place for this music, but I enjoy Wallfisch's playing in this fantasia-like showpiece.
VS

Oh, no, I had hoped that Nimbus had moved on from the old airplane hangar acoustic they seemed to favor for so long. 

Symphonic Addict

Initially I had a lukewarm reaction to Braunfels' ambitious mass, but now I have change my mind. A superlative piece, as fine (or perhaps better) as his heavenly Te Deum.

Noam Chomsky

Todd