What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Mandryka on April 20, 2024, 07:03:13 AMI've been listening to a lot of the third quartet recently, op 30. I find their recording of it particularly congenial.
Agreed, that's an incisive and brilliant performance, absolutely beautifully thrilling, involving playing; although I've listened to several recordings of Schönberg's SQ No.3, the Schoenberg Quartet remains my favourite along with the Leipziger Streichquartett. Same speech for the other String Quartets.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Lisztianwagner

Maurice Ravel
Shéhérazade

Janet Baker (mezzo-soprano)
Sir John Barbirolli & New Philharmonia Orchestra

Claude Debussy
Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune

Sir John Barbirolli & Hallé Orchestra

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

AnotherSpin

VonStupp

CM von Weber
Horn Concertino in E minor, op. 45

Barry Tuckwell, horn
AoSMitF - Neville Marriner

I certainly wasn't expecting multiphonics here, but it ramps up the virtuosity Weber requires from the instrument.
VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Linz

Mozart Symphony No. 32 in G major, K.318
Mahler Symphony No. 1 in D major, "Titan", Seiji Ozawa, Saito Kinen Orchestra

ritter

Roger Sessions' Symphonies No. 4 and No. 5, and Rhapsody for Orchestra. Christian Badea conducts the Columbus Symphony Orchestra.

Linz

Hermann Nitsch für Anton Bruckner on orgamn
Bruckner Symphony No. 5 in B Flat Major, 1878 Version Ed. Leopold Nowak, European Philharmonic Orchestra, Peter Jan Marthe

Spotted Horses

Quote from: ritter on April 20, 2024, 12:39:18 PMRoger Sessions' Symphonies No. 4 and No. 5, and Rhapsody for Orchestra. Christian Badea conducts the Columbus Symphony Orchestra.

I have loved all of the Sessions I have heard. I have a release with Symphonies 6, 7, 9 conducted by David Russel Davies and No 2 by Blomstedt. I should have this release too.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mandryka

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on April 20, 2024, 09:49:00 AMAgreed, that's an incisive and brilliant performance, absolutely beautifully thrilling, involving playing; although I've listened to several recordings of Schönberg's SQ No.3, the Schoenberg Quartet remains my favourite along with the Leipziger Streichquartett. Same speech for the other String Quartets.

I think I'd agree with you about the Leipzig Quartet. I've never heard these quartets in concert here in London. I could well have missed something - if they get played at all I suspect it's very rarely.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

ritter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on April 20, 2024, 12:55:42 PMI have loved all of the Sessions I have heard. I have a release with Symphonies 6, 7, 9 conducted by David Russel Davies and No 2 by Blomstedt. I should have this release too.
I too very much like all the Sessions I have listened to. I have the Dennis (not David  ;) ) Russell Davies disc you mention, but not the Blomstedt CD. I know Symphony No. 2 from this multi-conductor disc, where the work is conducted by Mitropoulos.

I feel very attuned to Sessions' style...

SonicMan46

For the afternoon and early evening, more Martinů - Piano Trios & Quintets and the 3-disc set of the String Quartets (first 2 CDs) - Dave  8)

Florestan

On MEZZO TV

Tchaikovsky - Symphony No. 5

Lahav Shani, Orchestre de Paris

Superb performance of one of my top 3 Romantic symphonies.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

VonStupp

CM von Weber
Oboe Concertino in C Major, ICW 13

Lajos Lencsés, oboe
Berlin RSO - Hans E. Zimmer

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Linz

Mozart Piano Concertos 9 E flat major. K 271 and Piano Concerto No.17 inG major, K453, Andreas Staier, Concerto Koln

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 9 in D Minor, 1894 Original Version. Ed. Leopold Nowak, Wiener Philharmoniker, Zubin Mehta

classicalgeek

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 AMGreat piece - Berglund's early/1st ever recording of Kullervo in Bournemouth remains my favourite of all - it has the zealous spirit of discovery!

I've been trying to find his Bournemouth recording for a while now - and my best bet is to get it from Japan, it seems. Of course, it's also in the just-released Berglund box, but as I have two of his Sibelius cycles (Bournemouth [which doesn't include Kullervo] and Helsinki) as well as some of his other recordings, I've been on the fence about buying it.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

AnotherSpin

Symphonic Addict

It could easily be my favorite piece by Liszt. I hadn't been as impressed by Gretchen as before.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Another symphony with choral contributions:

Ivanovs: Symphony No. 4 'Atlantis'

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky