What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

AnotherSpin

Quote from: prémont on April 22, 2024, 05:50:48 AMLook one more time at the link I provided. It reads:

ALBUM
Beethoven - Piano Classics
Dubravka Tomsic

102 SONGS • 10 HOURS AND 56 MINUTES • MAY 01 2009

No other pianists are mentioned. Amazon may be responsible, but the source of their information likely comes from the label known (or rather unknown) as Classical Masters.

Yes, I saw it. Amazon just mentioned one performer from 6. In the same situation Apple music and Qobuz were not so arrogant/lazy, and named all 6 performers, one for each sonata.

prémont

Quote from: AnotherSpin on April 22, 2024, 06:01:31 AMYes, I saw it. Amazon just mentioned one performer from 6. In the same situation Apple music and Qobuz were not so arrogant/lazy, and named all 6 performers, one for each sonata.

It's a confusing situation that remains unresolved. Despite my Visa card being fully valid, Amazon won't accept it for the download of the set I wanted to make. I'll need to check with my bank.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

AnotherSpin

Quote from: prémont on April 22, 2024, 06:15:57 AMIt's a confusing situation that remains unresolved. Despite my Visa card being fully valid, Amazon won't accept it for the download of the set I wanted to make. I'll need to check with my bank.

Well, probably you don't need to buy download of the set. Op.106 sounds very similar to Barenboim's early DG recording. And indicated durations of all four parts are the same ;)

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Florestan

Quote from: Karl Henning on April 22, 2024, 08:00:51 AMUncut? How do you like it?

Much better than the Previn / LSO, which is the only one I had heard before and which I found dull and bland.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

SonicMan46

Hindemith, Paul (1895-1963) - decided to start on my Hindemith collection today, amounting to nearly two dozen discs - the orchestral works are in a big bulky 6-disc box w/ CPO's usual habit of CDs in separate jewel boxes - Dave  :D

DavidW

Quote from: Florestan on April 22, 2024, 08:07:31 AMMuch better than the Previn / LSO, which is the only one I had heard before and which I found dull and bland.

Ouch!  Previn is my favorite Rach 2 because it is so passionate.  We really hear it differently!

Brian

Quote from: DavidW on April 22, 2024, 08:54:28 AMOuch!  Previn is my favorite Rach 2 because it is so passionate.  We really hear it differently!

He listened to No. 1!

Shostakovich Puppet Dances
Widmann Circus Dances

prémont

Quote from: AnotherSpin on April 22, 2024, 07:16:53 AMWell, probably you don't need to buy download of the set. Op.106 sounds very similar to Barenboim's early DG recording. And indicated durations of all four parts are the same ;)

Thanks, that's an interesting observation. Maybe I own all the items of the set already. Better to forget about acquiring it.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

DavidW

Quote from: Brian on April 22, 2024, 08:57:03 AMHe listened to No. 1!

Shostakovich Puppet Dances
Widmann Circus Dances

That is what I get for reading the posts backwards.  And I'm telling you the Joyce Hatto-esque discussion was really confusing!

Florestan

Quote from: DavidW on April 22, 2024, 08:54:28 AMOuch!  Previn is my favorite Rach 2 because it is so passionate.  We really hear it differently!

Oh, but I was talking about the First, not the Second, which is indeed very good in Previn's performance.  ;)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on April 21, 2024, 12:39:42 PMI'm envious!
Did you always want a pet mouse?  ;)

Enjoyed Igor Stravinsky's Concerto en ré with Anne-Sophie Mutter on a DG CD.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Linz on April 21, 2024, 01:07:49 PMPaul Hindemith Complete Cello Concertos, David Geringas, Queensland Symphony Orchestra, Werner Andreas Albert
How did you like that CD, Linz?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: prémont on April 22, 2024, 06:15:57 AMIt's a confusing situation that remains unresolved. Despite my Visa card being fully valid, Amazon won't accept it for the download of the set I wanted to make. I'll need to check with my bank.
Interesting!  Is it possibly expired?  Just a thought.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Florestan on April 22, 2024, 08:07:31 AMMuch better than the Previn / LSO, which is the only one I had heard before and which I found dull and bland.

I don't think No.1 is cut often/ever(?) - the main question is how much percussion to include.  From memory that Slatkin uses some but not all - Litton and Petrenko go the full hog.

Oddly Previn's No.1 was a real dud - yet its the kind of piece you would have expected him to do well.  His Nos. 2&3 are both excellent but No.1 was a bad-day-at-the-office session......

Florestan

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 22, 2024, 09:41:13 AMOddly Previn's No.1 was a real dud - yet its the kind of piece you would have expected him to do well.  His Nos. 2&3 are both excellent but No.1 was a bad-day-at-the-office session......

Precisely my feelings.

Valentino

I'm listening to Britten's Violin Concerto, the new recording with Isabelle Faust, Bavarian Radio SO and Jakub Hrusa. It is indeed rather good.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Spotted Horses

After listening to Rachmaninoff PC 4, I was reminded of Medtner PC 2. Listened to the Demidenko recording on Hyperion

Remarkably intense performance. There is something to the canard, Medtner is like Rachmaninoff without the inevitable "big tune." :)
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington