What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Power Pop, SonicMan46 (+ 1 Hidden) and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

classicalgeek

Prokofiev
Symphony no. 5
Philadelphia Orchestra
Riccardo Muti

(on CD)

Overall an excellent Prokofiev 5! Muti definitely has a feel for Prokofiev - his 'Romeo and Juliet' (I have it as part of the Muti box on Warner) is also top-notch.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Harry

Paolo Aretino.
Lamentationes & Responsorien "Sabbat Sancto".
Odhecaton, Paolo da Col.
See for details the back cover.

Following in the footsteps of @Que, playing the music for holy Saturday, which for me is next week. As Que said, a beautiful interpretation of one of Arentino's masterworks. The Choir is not a small one, but luckily only one counter tenor, which is not bothering me. Two Baritones and two Basses is a huge plus. Definitively my kind of performance, well recorded too.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

This popped up on Spotify, and I happily took the opportunity:

Que

Finishing a listening run (in reversed order) of this set, which has been great fun and delight:

Disc 1:
Arise, my muse - Birthday Ode for Queen Mary, 1690.
Welcome to all pleasures - Ode for Saint Cecilia's Day, 1683.
Now does the glorious day appear - Birthday Ode for Queen Mary, 1689.

vandermolen

Quote from: classicalgeek on April 27, 2024, 01:03:12 AMProkofiev
Symphony no. 5
Philadelphia Orchestra
Riccardo Muti

(on CD)

Overall an excellent Prokofiev 5! Muti definitely has a feel for Prokofiev - his 'Romeo and Juliet' (I have it as part of the Muti box on Warner) is also top-notch.

I agree! I have that CD too. I like the cover picture.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Back amongst the Pine Trees!
I find Thomson's Bax recordings to be especially atmospheric. For example his 'Nympholept' (on another CD) is easily my favourite recording:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Mandryka on April 27, 2024, 03:14:28 AMHave you heard Hamelin?: (just found it myself -- sounds interesting to me, quite delicate.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a720FGpqMLc&ab_channel=JG

I can't remember listening to his Beethoven, he doesn't seem to record B. much. I'll listen with interest, thanks for the link.

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Harry

Madiel

Mozart: Divertimento no.11, which is a septet for oboe, horns and strings (the "Nannerl Septet").

I actually started with a different version on Idagio and lasted about 3 seconds, the acoustic was so distant and echoing and I hated it.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mandryka

Quote from: AnotherSpin on April 27, 2024, 03:22:40 AMI can't remember listening to his Beethoven, he doesn't seem to record B. much. I'll listen with interest, thanks for the link.

I can let you have his ops 110 and 111 if you like.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Harry

Jacques Bittner.
Works for Lute, 1682-1702.
André Henrich, 11 course lute  Andreas von Holst, Munich, 2012, after  Hans Frei.
Recording: 2021, Kyllburg (D), Stiftskirche.
SACD sound.

Another @Que recommendation, albeit being a mild one. First of all the recording is SOTA, and I like his style enormously. Rhythmically as stable as a house of bricks, steady tempi, and open and very lucid presentation. I like what I hear very much. So I am glad I was pointed towards this CD. Keep them coming. My wife remarked not too long ago in the following manner, "How many Lute recordings are there, and by now you already need a lifetime to hear them all, so what about the rest" Needless to say the number of Lute Recordings are infinitive, but I do my very best to stomach as much as I can. ;D

AnotherSpin

brewski

Fausto Romitelli: An Index of Metals (Ictus / Donatienne Michel-Dansac, voice / Georges-Elie Octors, conductor). Romitelli's last work, which I hadn't heard in a long time, perhaps since this recording came out in 2005. Went to the home of a sound engineer and listened to it on his superb system, and on this revisit, the score really seems like a weird masterpiece.

Notes from the recording here. Described as a video opera, the score combines live musicians, a soprano, and a prominent role for electric guitar, all combined with electronics in dense layers. Last night it worked fine without the images.

From the notes:

"An Index of Metals bears vigorous witness to this determination to go beyond: sizzling orchestration, electric and psychedelic; a voice which plays on effects, murmurs with reverb, cackles into a megaphone, screams like a pop star; and an electric guitar score of a kind that no 'serious' composer has ever written, sliding across an infinite range of tones with a lightness of touch and blurring of contours."

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Que

Not sure if the world needed another recording of Vivaldi's mandolin concerto RV 425, but it is a very good performance. Of course the less famous mandolin concertos by Giovanni Paisiello, Francesco Lecce and Hummel are the real draw here, laced with concert pieces (not featuring the mandolin) by Galuppi, Paisiello and Haydn.

Great recording, recommended for those into this kind of repertoire.

ritter

First listen to this recent purchase (it was available dirt cheap, new, on Amazon.es):

The main reason to buy this was for the curiosity that concludes the programme, the suite from Victor de Sabata's  ballet Mille e una notte.

The CD starts with Ravel's Piano Concerto in G. TBH, I've never really cared for this concerto (I much prefer the Concerto for the Left Hand), but Chailly and particularly Stefano Bollani deliver a convincing performance.

Small pieces by Stravinsky and Weill complete the disc.

Papy Oli

Byrd - Keyboard Music - Davitt Moroney
A few tracks of CD 2.

Olivier

Harry

Uuno Klami.
Chamber Music.
See back cover for details.
Recorded at the Kuusankoski Hall, 2020.

This is a wonderful surprise, the music I mean! Impressive and deep, even magical. It had huge impact on me. Of course I will try to find more of this composers Chamber music. The performance is good, and the sound also, but will look further for other interpretations. But that proved to be a lost battle, for Qobuz has not many recordings of Klami's music, which is what I expected more or less.

Todd

I finally got around to the last disc in this set.  I bought the box in 2014.  This has set the record for longest time needed to consume an entire box.  The final disc is given over to a collection of smaller works.  Only a few are awful, while the rest are mediocre.  I will never listen to the entire box again, and there is a high probability that I never listen to any of it again.  I'd sell it, but it's boxed up in the garage, and it would take too long to get to it to warrant the measly lucre I might get for its sale.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya