What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherSpin, SonicMan46, Harry, Karl Henning (+ 1 Hidden) and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 6 in A Major, 1881 Version. Ed. Leopold Nowak, William Steinberg, Boston Symphony Orchestra

Lisztianwagner

Johannes Brahms
Piano Sonata No.2

Pianist: François-Frédéric Guy

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 8 in C Minor, 1890 Version. Ed. Leopold Nowak, Berliner Philharmoniker, Nikolaus Harnoncourt

Karl Henning

Quote from: classicalgeek on April 25, 2024, 01:35:41 PMOne of my favorite Shostakovich cycles, and the Ninth was superb. A little disappointed in the Tenth, though... it felt a bit... underpowered?
Agreed that it is a good but not outstanding Tenth.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

foxandpeng

Pēteris Vasks
Violin Concerto 2 'In Evening Light'
Munchener Kammerorchester
Sergej Bolkhovets

Vasks moves me emotionally, I'm not ashamed to admit. His music speaks of another world and a greater hope.

Bravo, Mr V.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Linz

Dietrich Buxtehude 6 Cantatas, Orchestra Anima Eterna & The Royal Consort with Collegium Vocale

AnotherSpin

classicalgeek

Quote from: vandermolen on April 27, 2024, 03:06:17 AMI agree! I have that CD too. I like the cover picture.

Did Muti do a Prokofiev 6? I don't think he did - and too bad, because I think it would have been great!

Quote from: DavidW on April 27, 2024, 07:18:35 AMI just listened to the Kondrashin 10th which delivered... but I recommend Haitink if you want more oomph.

I also I've been listening to Pettersson's 5th and Penderecki's works for cello and orchestra... so I am now just worn out on depressing neoromantic music.  I think I'm just going to focus on Bach, Haydn and Mozart for awhile.

I understand what you mean about needing a break once in a while! I've been mixing in listening to Angela Hewitt's Bach and some Schumann symphonies with the Shostakovich and Prokofiev. Not to mention Mahler 7 in the near future!

I'll see if Haitink is available for streaming - his Eighth is my go-to recording for that symphony, but it's been a long time since I've heard his other Shostakovich.

Quote from: Karl Henning on April 27, 2024, 12:15:06 PMI don't believe I've listened yet to the e minor symphony in that set, so I'm in!

Quote from: Karl Henning on April 27, 2024, 02:43:26 PMAgreed that it is a good but not outstanding Tenth.

I haven't listened too all of the Barshai set, but still a good deal of it - and the Tenth is the first one I recall falling short for me. Still an excellent cycle, though - the Eleventh is next on tap.

TD:
Schumann
Symphony no. 3
Symphony no. 4
Manfred Overture
Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra
Rafael Kubelik

(on CD)

A really good Third, and a so-so Fourth - I don't think Kubelik messes with Schumann's orchestration, which has its plusses and minuses!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

steve ridgway

Que

steve ridgway

Messiaen: Le Merle De Roche

Just listening to the music now, there are too many birds to follow :-[ .

AnotherSpin

Que

Inaugurating this recent purchase. Jumping right into Fiori Musicali with its three organ masses: Messa della Domenica, Messa degli Apostoli and Messa della Madonna. Three different historical organs and a small all male choir, alternatingly conducted by Walter Testolin, basso profondo and conductor of De Labyrintho. All looks and indeed sounds promising.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on April 27, 2024, 03:08:33 AMBack amongst the Pine Trees!
I find Thomson's Bax recordings to be especially atmospheric. For example his 'Nympholept' (on another CD) is easily my favourite recording:

Bax is at his best surrounded by trees. 'The Happy Forest' is a great piece.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on April 28, 2024, 12:28:40 AMBax is at his best surrounded by trees. 'The Happy Forest' is a great piece.
And 'November Woods'  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 27, 2024, 07:07:05 AMDid you end up watching it Jeffrey?  If so, what did you think of it?

PD
No PD but I may do on BBC Sounds
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: classicalgeek on April 27, 2024, 09:48:42 PMDid Muti do a Prokofiev 6? I don't think he did - and too bad, because I think it would have been great!
Not that I'm aware of although I really like his pioneering recording of 'Ivan the Terrible' with its great cover picture!
(CD and double LP set below). Unlike many I rather like the melodramatic narration.

vandermolen

Kalervo Tuukkanen
Symphony No.3
'The Sea':
The Violin Concerto is very good as well
This music is not at all like Sibelius. The Symphony sounds anachronistic for 1953 and the VC for 1955 - more like Novak or Nikolai Tcherepnin's 'Narcissus and Echo' - an interesting composer.

Iota

Debussy: Children's Corner
Chopin: Preludes, Op.28

Abduraimov superbly captures the magic and limitlessness of childhood in the Debussy pieces. And the Chopin is a riveting combination of fresh ideas, surpassing technique and penetrating musical intelligence. He makes the set feel like a cycle, as much if not more than any other I've heard. One of those pianists who is able to make you realise anew the wonder of the music he is playing, no matter how many times you've heard it.

Traverso

On Marktplaats, a site for second-hand products in the Netherlands, a complete Bach/Beekman set is currently for sale in excellent condition. the price is 75 euros, so for enthusiasts.