What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prémont

Quote from: Traverso on April 28, 2024, 04:29:47 AMOn Marktplaats, a site for second-hand products in the Netherlands, a complete Bach/Beekman set is currently for sale in excellent condition. the price is 75 euros, so for enthusiasts.

I guess it will be difficult to get hold of for customers abroad
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Que

Quote from: Traverso on April 28, 2024, 04:29:47 AMOn Marktplaats, a site for second-hand products in the Netherlands, a complete Bach/Beekman set is currently for sale in excellent condition. the price is 75 euros, so for enthusiasts.

If it were Ewald Kooiman, I would have taken the bait!  :D

Traverso

Quote from: prémont on April 28, 2024, 04:35:00 AMI guess it will be difficult to get hold of for customers abroad

I think this may not be a problem. I know the seller and can make inquiries if there is interest.

Traverso

Quote from: Que on April 28, 2024, 04:36:17 AM

If it were Ewald Kooiman, I would have taken the bait!  :D

If I come across one I will let you know. :)

Que

Traverso

Quote from: Que on April 28, 2024, 04:51:22 AMMuch obliged!  :)

There are 10 CDs for sale  Bach/Kooiman marktplaats for 25 euros!

prémont

Quote from: Traverso on April 28, 2024, 04:37:58 AMI think this may not be a problem. I know the seller and can make inquiries if there is interest.

I am very interested in the Beekman set since I own the CÜ III, Leipzigchorales and Orgelbüchlein only in digital incarnation. I don't mind doublings of the other volumes, since the cost (75 Euros) is very reasonable.

The Kooiman / Coronata I own complete. I was fortunate to get hold of it before it went OOP.

Traverso

A very well-known recording that, upon its release (1968), made music from India more accessible to a larger audience.

Traverso

Quote from: prémont on April 28, 2024, 05:52:43 AMI am very interested in the Beekman set since I own the CÜ III, Leipzigchorales and Orgelbüchlein only in digital incarnation. I don't mind doublings of the other volumes, since the cost (75 Euros) is very reasonable.

The Kooiman / Coronata I own complete. I was fortunate to get hold of it before it went OOP.

I have left a voicemail regarding the question of whether shipping abroad is possible, as soon as I know more I will let you know.

prémont

Quote from: Traverso on April 28, 2024, 06:00:42 AMI have left a voicemail regarding the question of whether shipping abroad is possible, as soon as I know more I will let you know.

Thanks so very much.

:)  :)  :)

Traverso

Quote from: prémont on April 28, 2024, 06:01:56 AMThanks so very much.

:)  :)  :)

Of course I can always buy the set for you and then send it to you

I asked to reserve the set via a voicemail.

prémont

Quote from: Traverso on April 28, 2024, 06:05:14 AMOf course I can always buy the set for you and then send it to you

I asked to reserve the set via a voicemail.

Thanks again. I sent you a PM.

AnotherSpin

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: foxandpeng on April 27, 2024, 04:12:32 PMPēteris Vasks
Violin Concerto 2 'In Evening Light'
Munchener Kammerorchester
Sergej Bolkhovets

Vasks moves me emotionally, I'm not ashamed to admit. His music speaks of another world and a greater hope.

Bravo, Mr V.

Nothing wrong with that. In my personal experience, I respond to music more emotionally than intellectually.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

VonStupp

Frederick Delius
Hassan, RT I/9

Zeb Soanes, narrator
Britten Sinfonia & Voices - Jamie Phillips

I had only heard excerpts from Delius' incidental music Hassan (I think from Barbirolli), so it is nice to hear all of the music. The narration is tasteful enough; Zeb Soames isn't too arch in his characterizations, but it is thankfully tracked separately for future listening.

The story of Hassan, from James Flecker's play, seems without a point, other than exotic adventure and politics. Hassan is a minor player among more colorful characters, although his morality far outshines those who come in and out of the tale.

Delius' music fits well; lightly exotic, with wonderfully plush, often atmospheric, scene settings, which feels right up the composer's alley. A few choral numbers are thrown in, and its 10-minute finale is the most affecting portion from the 80-minute runtime. Worth a listen, for sure.
VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Symphonic Addict

I was listening to three different works incorporating human voices, all of them quite different each other:

Lloyd: A Symphonic Mass
Bartók: Bluebeard's Castle
Stravinsky: Oedipus Rex

The Lloyd is unmistakably English-sounding in its harmony, choral writing, etc. A positive, life-affirming work with no traces of angst or something similar. I perceived some moments where I was reminded of Walton and Dyson. Very nice overall.

I don't remember when was the last time I heard the Bartók, but on this occasion it sounded so fresh that it literally knocked my socks off, what an absolute masterpiece of psychological pathos and drama. This is gripping big time. Also, I wasn't aware of the huge orchestra Bartók employed there, which includes an organ used to precise effect in some parts. The Door 5 was one of the most arresting moments without a doubt, it's like a staggering blend between refulgent and dramatic. Splendorous to say the least.

The Stravinsky inhabits a more austere sound world, but not for that less compelling. I first heard it (and watched it) on a DVD. IIRC, the recording featured Seiji Ozawa, Jessye Norman et al. Well, this piece impressed me once again. As usual with Stravinsky's neoclassical period, the music tends to be sober and cool in emotion, but not without its portions of exultation and satirical outbursts. A good bonus was the little participation of the narrator.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

AnotherSpin

Mapman

Pachelbel: Various works for organ
Helmut Winter, Trebel organ

I think this was my first time listening to Pachelbel other than his famous Canon. I think my favorite was the Ricecar in c minor, P.419.

Linz

Carl Orff Carmina Burana, Gunter Wand, Symphonie-Orchester des NDR

Lisztianwagner

Robert Schumann
Symphonic Etudes

Pianist: Vladimir Ashkenazy

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler