What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bachtoven and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mapman

John Vincent: Symphony in D
Ormandy: Philadelphia

This is a nice surprise! It's a good American symphony that reminds me at times of Barber and Copland, but still has its own unique style.

mahler10th

Don't know if this is still in print, Inbal doing Mahler in the 80's on the Denon Label.  And then it was issued in the print in the picture above.  Anyway, I had a showdown here a long time ago about the merits of Inbal as a conductor.  I don't know why this set isn't so well positioned in the World of great Mahler cylcles.  Inbals Mahler is almost narrative-like to me, a story is being told, and I can either get with it or put Bernstein on.  I always get with it - Inbal is the Agatha Chrisite of Conductors, he will lure you in until you can't get out, you've got to keep going until the end.  :o  :laugh:

Symphonic Addict

Arensky: Piano Concerto
Jolivet: Bassoon Concerto (Maurice Allard, André Jolivet, Orchestre Jean-François Paillard)

The Jolivet has to be one of the most outstanding concertos for the bassoon.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

classicalgeek

Quote from: vandermolen on April 28, 2024, 12:58:30 AMNot that I'm aware of although I really like his pioneering recording of 'Ivan the Terrible' with its great cover picture!
(CD and double LP set below). Unlike many I rather like the melodramatic narration.

I should listen to that - it's part of the Warner Muti box!

TD:
Shostakovich
Symphony no. 11
WDR Symphony Orchestra
Rudolf Barshai

(on CD)

Perhaps not my favorite Eleventh, but very good!

J.S. Bach
Keyboard Partitas nos. 1, 2, 4
Angela Hewitt, piano

(on CD)

I'm continuing to enjoy this set immensely!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Symphonic Addict

Vaughan Williams: Fantasy for piano and orchestra

This turned out being a most welcome discovery. It sounds nothing like typical of his distinctive style (it was composed in 1896), but it's a totally accomplished composition in a sort of English late-Romantic fashion, and there's a good deal of passion throughout its runtime. Phenomenal performance too.

Rheinberger: Organ Concerto No. 2 in G minor

Something less effusive yet widely charming. This work can't fail to provide good entertainment.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

JBS

Quote from: mahler10th on April 28, 2024, 03:44:33 PM

Don't know if this is still in print, Inbal doing Mahler in the 80's on the Denon Label.  And then it was issued in the print in the picture above.  Anyway, I had a showdown here a long time ago about the merits of Inbal as a conductor.  I don't know why this set isn't so well positioned in the World of great Mahler cylcles.  Inbals Mahler is almost narrative-like to me, a story is being told, and I can either get with it or put Bernstein on.  I always get with it - Inbal is the Agatha Chrisite of Conductors, he will lure you in until you can't get out, you've got to keep going until the end.  :o  :laugh:

I'm not sure I would describe Inbal's cycle like that, but it is one I would suggest to someone new to Mahler: consistently good; there may be no "best ever" performances, but every installment is first-rate, and there are no installments that are less in quality than the others.
TD
Two CDs from the Andsnes Warner box

CD 33

CD 34 with contents thereof

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mapman

Mozart: Piano Sonata #11, K.331
Katchen

This is the sonata with the famous rondo "alla Turca". The first movement is also familiar to me, as I have played a clarinet duet version of its theme. There's also a passage in the 2nd movement of Mahler's 1st symphony that reminds me of this theme.

AnotherSpin

Madiel

Getting towards the end of the original Ballets Russes company.

Satie: Mercure (apparently the only time that Diaghilev bought an existing production, which suggests things were going a little downhill)

Prokofiev: The Steel Step

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

classicalgeek

Mahler
Symphony no. 7
London Symphony Orchestra
Michael Tilson Thomas

(on CD)

On the whole, a wonderful Seventh - a bit mannered, especially how tempos were handled, but generally very good.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Que

Aliens landed and left two 15th century masses!  ;D

vandermolen

Vaughan Williams: Symphony No.5
Boston SO, Koussevitsky (1947 recording)
A very fine, deeply-felt, urgent, sibelian performance
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Daverz

Quote from: mahler10th on April 28, 2024, 03:44:33 PM

Don't know if this is still in print, Inbal doing Mahler in the 80's on the Denon Label.

AnotherSpin

Op. 106, Marc-André Hamelin (2022, Fishtail, Montana)

aukhawk

Quote from: steve ridgway on April 27, 2024, 10:54:37 PMMessiaen: Le Merle De Roche

Just listening to the music now, there are too many birds to follow :-[ .

Messiaen: Le Loriot; Yvonne Loriod (1st recording)

Note that the words Loriot and Loriod in French sound much the same, since the final consonant is not sounded.  And this music, which must have been in Messiaen's mind for over 10 years since he first encountered the young pianist, is probably as much about the person as it is about the bird.

The bird itself is pictured on the original LP cover image (below).  Now picture the scene at the premiere performance of the complete Catalogue in 1959, which Loriod/Loriot performed entirely from memory as was her habit - seated at the piano wearing a yellow gown with black sleeves ...

Messiaen, Catalogue d'Oiseaux, Loriod, Vega

Iota

Quote from: aukhawk on April 29, 2024, 01:17:24 AMMessiaen: Le Loriot; Yvonne Loriod (1st recording)

Note that the words Loriot and Loriod in French sound much the same, since the final consonant is not sounded.  And this music, which must have been in Messiaen's mind for over 10 years since he first encountered the young pianist, is probably as much about the person as it is about the bird.

The bird itself is pictured on the original LP cover image (below).  Now picture the scene at the premiere performance of the complete Catalogue in 1959, which Loriod/Loriot performed entirely from memory as was her habit - seated at the piano wearing a yellow gown with black sleeves ...

Messiaen, Catalogue d'Oiseaux, Loriod, Vega

Thanks for that, very interesting.

Madiel

More Ballets Russes

Stravinsky: Apollo. Really an astonishing work for what it doesn't do, compared to his earlier style. It almost feels Sibelian at times.

Handel/Beecham: The Gods go A'Begging. A lot of these sorts of reworkings for the Ballets Russes don't appear to be recorded. Beecham gets away from this problem by conducting it himself.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

AnotherSpin

DavidW

Quote from: classicalgeek on April 28, 2024, 06:01:45 PMJ.S. Bach
Keyboard Partitas nos. 1, 2, 4
Angela Hewitt, piano

(on CD)

I'm continuing to enjoy this set immensely!

That opened the door for solo keyboard Bach for me.  Even when I had eliminated my cd collection thinking I would stream only... I actually still kept that box set!  I also have her in the chamber music, Art of the Fugue and some arrangements.  All exquisite!