What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka, Brian, Linz and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

vandermolen

Holst: 'The Perfect Fool' Ballet Suite and now..
Bax: Tintagel
LSO George Weldon

I enjoy every work on this CD and all the performances. George Weldon seems to have had a somewhat troubled life and IMO deserves more appreciation:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Spotted Horses

Quote from: DavidW on April 29, 2024, 03:44:25 AMThat opened the door for solo keyboard Bach for me.  Even when I had eliminated my cd collection thinking I would stream only... I actually still kept that box set!  I also have her in the chamber music, Art of the Fugue and some arrangements.  All exquisite!

And now she is doing it all a second time, creating the dilemma, "which version is better?"! I find no clear answer.

Her Faure disc is also great!
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

steve ridgway

Quote from: aukhawk on April 29, 2024, 01:17:24 AMMessiaen: Le Loriot; Yvonne Loriod (1st recording)

Note that the words Loriot and Loriod in French sound much the same, since the final consonant is not sounded.  And this music, which must have been in Messiaen's mind for over 10 years since he first encountered the young pianist, is probably as much about the person as it is about the bird.

The bird itself is pictured on the original LP cover image (below).  Now picture the scene at the premiere performance of the complete Catalogue in 1959, which Loriod/Loriot performed entirely from memory as was her habit - seated at the piano wearing a yellow gown with black sleeves ...

Messiaen, Catalogue d'Oiseaux, Loriod, Vega

Wow, doing all that from memory is most impressive  :o.

Traverso

Nikhil Banerjee

It was a great loss for all those who care about Indian classical music when the Chhanda Dhara label ceased to exist.
The result is that these recordings are now often offered for very high prices.
Banerjee believed that music was not just an art form, but an alternative path to spirituality.
No compromises about the length or duration of the raga, as in ancient India these concerts at the various courts often lasted even much longer.In this case the duration of this raga is 57 minutes.

CD 1

Florestan

Quote from: Spotted Horses on April 29, 2024, 04:22:44 AMAnd now she is doing it all a second time, creating the dilemma, "which version is better?"! I find no clear answer.

Her Faure disc is also great!

Her Couperin, Rameau and Scarlatti too.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Traverso on April 29, 2024, 05:24:06 AMNikhil Banerjee

It was a great loss for all those who care about Indian classical music when the Chhanda Dhara label ceased to exist.
The result is that these recordings are now often offered for very high prices.
Banerjee believed that music was not just an art form, but an alternative path to spirituality.
No compromises about the length or duration of the raga, as in ancient India these concerts at the various courts often lasted even much longer.In this case the duration of this raga is 57 minutes.

CD 1

I love Nikhil Banerjee's playing since the days of vinyls, i.e. from the 70s-80s. In the USSR it was possible to buy Indian made LPs of Indian classical music. In my perception, Banerjee is on the top place among all sitar players, even more so than Ravi Shankar or Vilayat Khan. Qobuz has some of his albums, many of those recorded during his tours to the West.

Traverso

Quote from: AnotherSpin on April 29, 2024, 06:36:39 AMI love Nikhil Banerjee's playing since the days of vinyls, i.e. from the 70s-80s. In the USSR it was possible to buy Indian made LPs of Indian classical music. In my perception, Banerjee is on the top place among all sitar players, even more so than Ravi Shankar or Vilayat Khan. Qobuz has some of his albums, many of those recorded during his tours to the West.

Good to see that there are more fans of this music. Unfortunately, Banerjee died of a heart attack at a relatively young age.

Brian

Saw this posted a few days ago and decided to join in! William Mathias' Piano Concerto No. 1 is "harder," more jagged, and more modern than his No. 2, which has a more laid-back pastoral English feel. The youthful Vaughan Williams is last on the disc, so it does rather feel like the CD is a program slowly taking you backwards in musical time, from a Bartok-influenced era to one influenced by R. Strauss' Burleske or early Elgar.

Brian

Next winter, the Dallas Symphony is doing an enticing program that combines Sibelius' Symphony No. 6 and Durufle's Requiem, conducted by Matthew Halls. Streaming the Requiem now to see if this is one I want tickets to. Certainly will be a lot of achingly beautiful melancholy for one night!

Chose the Andrew Davis recording based on a ClassicsToday rec and it being the recently deceased Andrew Davis in one of his finest moments.

Mapman

Quote from: Brian on April 29, 2024, 08:41:52 AMNext winter, the Dallas Symphony is doing an enticing program that combines Sibelius' Symphony No. 6 and Durufle's Requiem, conducted by Matthew Halls. Streaming the Requiem now to see if this is one I want tickets to. Certainly will be a lot of achingly beautiful melancholy for one night!

That concert sounds great! (6 might be my favorite Sibelius symphony.) I played Durufle's Requiem in college; I particularly like the Lux Aeterna with its wonderful oboe melody.

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No, 4 in E Flat Major, 1878/80 Version (1880 with Bruckner's 1886 revisions) - Ed. Leopold Nowak, Hallé Orchestra, Stanislaw Skrowaczewski

brewski

Coming up in about ten minutes, Quatuor Danel, live from Wigmore Hall, in Weinberg and Shostakovich.

Weinberg: String Quartet No. 5 Op. 27
Shostakovich: String Quartet No. 6 in G Op. 101
Weinberg: String Quartet No. 6 Op. 35

-Bruce

"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Linz

Paul Dukas The Sorcerer's Apprentice
Richard Strauss Till Eulenspiegels lustige Streiche Op. 28
Felix Mendessohn Octet in E-flat Major, Op. 20, MWV R20:
Camille Saint-Saens Danse Macabre
Igor Stravinsky  Scherzo fantastique, Scherzo à la russe and Petrouchka: Russian Dance
Zoltán Kodály II. Viennese Musical Clock and VI. Entrance of the Emperor and his Court
William Steinberg, Boston Symphony Orchestra

JBS

So far a mostly 20th century day
First

Then

And now selections from Norwegian composers. The CD title comes from one of the Tveitt pieces.

Alternate cover from a budget reissue

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Lisztianwagner

Richard Wagner
Tristan und Isolde, act 1^ & 2^

Birgit Nilsson, Wolfgang Windgassen, Christa Ludwig, Martti Talvela, Eberhard Waechter
Karl Böhm & Bayreuth Festival Orchestra

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

brewski

Quote from: brewski on April 29, 2024, 10:51:25 AMComing up in about ten minutes, Quatuor Danel, live from Wigmore Hall, in Weinberg and Shostakovich.

Weinberg: String Quartet No. 5 Op. 27
Shostakovich: String Quartet No. 6 in G Op. 101
Weinberg: String Quartet No. 6 Op. 35

-Bruce

Not only superb, but an encore: the Elegy from Shostakovich's Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk. As violinist Marc Danel introduced it, "When we do two Shostakovich and one Weinberg, we do a Weinberg encore. When we do two Weinberg's, we play Shostakovich." Lovely symmetry.

I had never heard either of the Weinberg quartets, and as great as the Shostakovich was, they might have surpassed it on this occasion. You can see the entire concert on the link above.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Linz

Bruckner Symphony in D Minor,'Nullte', 1869 Ed. Leopold Nowak, Bruckner Orchester Linz, Theodor Guschlbauer

JBS

Continuing on the 20th Century Express

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Linz

Franz Schmidt Symphony No. 4 in C Major "Requiem für meine Tochter"Vienna Symphony Orchestra Rudolf Moralt and  Das Buch mit sieben Siegeln, Julius Patzak; Otto Wiener; Hanny Steffek; Hertha Töpper; Erich Majkut; Frederick Guthrie; Franz Illenberger; Graz Cathedral Choir; Munich Philharmonic Orchestra, Anton Lippe

Symphonic Addict

Rautavaara: Clarinet Concerto (Richard Stoltzman, Leif Segerstam, Helsinki P.O.)

Sheer magic.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky