What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skogwald (+ 1 Hidden) and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

prémont

Quote from: aukhawk on April 30, 2024, 03:46:49 AMTypical of Nimbus recordings, these all suffer a bit from distant microphone placement.

This isn't fair. I have several Nimbus releases which are adequately miked.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: prémont on April 30, 2024, 07:17:55 AMThis isn't fair. I have several Nimbus releases which are adequately miked.

Let's say "almost all," then.

Initially Nimbus records were encoded with an "ambersonic" system, for which the decoder was never widely available, and which is now not available at all. Later they stepped back from that, maybe the results were better. If Beethoven himself recorded for Nimbus I wouldn't listen.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Cato

Quote from: Spotted Horses on April 30, 2024, 06:27:35 AMRachmaninoff, Preludes Op 31 (first three), Ruth Laredo.

Gorgeous.

Ruth Laredo's Scriabin recordings were classics!

e.g.

Today because of the Tchaikovsky symphony poll, another visit to the Symphony #3, this time with Valery Gergiev and the Mariinsky Orchestra, whose intonation at certain moments tended toward microtonality  ;) :

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Cato on April 30, 2024, 08:21:45 AMRuth Laredo's Scriabin recordings were classics!

Laredo's Scriabin Sonata set was one of my earliest CD purchases, and it was great. When I discovered I don't like Ashkenazy in Rachmaninoff Laredo's complete Rachmaninoff was the obvious choice.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

DavidW

My favorites over the past few days:

Linz

Bach Piano Concertos, Angela Hewitt, CBC Vancouver Orchestra Mario Bernardi

brewski

Spurred by comments in another thread ( >:D ), found this fab reading of Ligeti's Piano Etude No. 13, "The Devil's Staircase," by Yutong Sun, from the quarterfinals of the 2017 Van Cliburn Competion. Beautifully, expertly done.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

vandermolen

Boris Parsadanian
Symphony No.1
'To the Memory of the 26 Commissars of Baku':
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 6 in A Major, 1881 Version. Ed. Robert Haas, New Philharmonia Orchestra, Otto Klemperer

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

BLISS: Miracle in the Gorbals / Discourse for Orchestra.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Daverz on April 30, 2024, 01:18:49 AMApparently Moeran's publisher felt the work was too long and suggested dropping the Intermezzo and Forlana movements. 

That's unfair since the work is not long (lasting less than 24 min.). Maybe it would have had a different reception had Moeran called it a Suite.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

More rapturous music by Riisager. The jocular ballet Benzin is the main attraction on this CD and also includes other two orchestral works: Archaeopteryx and Til Apollon, Lysets Gud, and something interesting to notice is the huge contrast of mood between the former and the two latter. Riisager also had skills to compose some pretty dark, ominous, menacing music as heard in those two aforementioned pieces. Another smashing hit of a disc.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Linz

Dvořák Symphony No. 9 in E minor, Op. 95 From the New World and Carnival Overture under Arthur Fiedler, Boston Symphony Orchestra

Symphonic Addict

Dohnányi: Symphony No. 2 in E major

Do

Noam Chomsky

Lisztianwagner

Franz Liszt
Années de pèlerinage, Première année, Suisse

Pianist: Francesco Piemontesi

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 1 in C Minor, 1877 Linz version with revisions - Ed. Leopold Nowak, Martin Sieghart, Bruckner Orchester Linz

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Symphonic Addict

Nyman's minimalism is rather special to me. These three quartets are like a bath of endorphins, and they sound tricky to play.

Noam Chomsky