What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maestro267 and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Que

AnotherSpin

brewski

Replaying last night's Mahler 6 in my head, after the breathtaking account from Simon Rattle and the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra, as part of their US tour. Love the piece anyway, but Rattle encouraged even more trippiness than usual, with many pungent details, packed with shrieks and groans. The orchestra was in outstanding form.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Spotted Horses

Rachmaninoff, Preludes Op 31, Ruth Laredo

Wonderful performances. I listened to a few selections of from Shelley's set, and they sound different, as performances of music with this level of pianism usually sound different. Couldn't say which performer I prefer. The one clear distinction is that the Laredo set is recorded from a closer perspective.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

SonicMan46

Quote from: andolink on May 01, 2024, 10:29:50 PMDelightful music by lesser known contemporaries of Haydn and Mozart. Perfomances and sound are both superb - -

Hmmm - period oboe -  8)  I have just one CD w/ her (inserted above - on a period copy oboe after Jonathan Bradbury, c. 1720); put together a 4-CD playlist on Spotify for a later listen, BUT there are plenty of other options on Amazon - may peruse.  Dave :)

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No.2 in C Minor, 1872 First concept version. Ed. William Carragan, Bruckner Orchester Linz, Kurt Eichhorn

Todd

I've yet to hear a bad Toscanini recording, and this is most certainly not bad.  The ancient sound, with some radio interference included, is about as good as one could expect from something 89 years old.  The scale and bass are skimpy, which makes the music sound lighter and less grand(iose).  It sounds operatic at times.  Some passages sound strikingly Wagnerian, and as with his Debussy La Mer from later, Toscanini imbues flexibility into his speedy tempi.  There are cuts as well.  The splices of Walter's later recording sound pretty much seamless.  Not one of the great Bruckner 7s, but good, and certainly worth the $0.00 asking price.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Linz

Carl Philippe Emanuel Bach Rondos and Fantasias, Christine Schornsheim

ritter

Quote from: brewski on May 02, 2024, 06:08:44 AMReplaying last night's Mahler 6 in my head, after the breathtaking account from Simon Rattle and the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra, as part of their US tour. Love the piece anyway, but Rattle encouraged even more trippiness than usual, with many pungent details, packed with shrieks and groans. The orchestra was in outstanding form.

-Bruce
Was thinking of getting tickets got that tonight at Carnegie Hall (which is just a couple of blocks away from my hotel here in New York), but I have a family engagement I can't cancel. Seems I'll be missing a great concert...  :(

Last time I saw Mahler's Sixth live was in Berlin in 2008, Pierre Boulez conducting the Staatskapelle. It's been a while...

Lisztianwagner

Alexander Zemlinsky
Eine Florentinische Tragödie

Riccardo Chailly & Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra

Béla Bartók
Bluebeard's Castle

István Kertész & London Symphony Orchestra

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Henk

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on May 02, 2024, 11:51:33 AMAlexander Zemlinsky
Eine Florentinische Tragödie

Riccardo Chailly & Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra

Béla Bartók
Bluebeard's Castle

István Kertész & London Symphony Orchestra

I think I have both recordings, but never really listened to them, I need to look them up and give them a spin to listen closely. What is your evaluation?

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Henk on May 02, 2024, 12:03:47 PMI think I have both recordings, but never really listened to them, I need to look them up and give them a spin to listen closely. What is your evaluation?
I think they are tremendous recordings, both in the orchestral and the vocal performance! I have no other terms of comparison for the Florentinische Tragödie, but Chailly is always brilliant in Zemlinsky and also in this case his recording is very passionate and intense; the Kertész is engrossing and hauntingly beautiful (personally, my favourite version of Bluebeard's Castle), while Ludwig and Berry are extraordinary as main characters.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Linz

Hans Huber Symphony No.1, op.63 ''William Tell' and Symphony No.7, ''Swiss' Stuttgarter Philharmonker, Jörg-Peter Weigle

brewski

Quote from: ritter on May 02, 2024, 11:33:51 AMWas thinking of getting tickets got that tonight at Carnegie Hall (which is just a couple of blocks away from my hotel here in New York), but I have a family engagement I can't cancel. Seems I'll be missing a great concert...  :(

Last time I saw Mahler's Sixth live was in Berlin in 2008, Pierre Boulez conducting the Staatskapelle. It's been a while...

Of course, it's not the same as being there, but it looks like WQXR will be broadcasting the concert, which means that they are likely to archive it later.

Meanwhile, so sorry I can't zip into NYC for a quick drink! This weekend is a traffic jam (in a good way), and I'm snowed under with a ton of work, to boot.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Henk

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on May 02, 2024, 01:07:55 PMI think they are tremendous recordings, both in the orchestral and the vocal performance! I have no other terms of comparison for the Florentinische Tragödie, but Chailly is always brilliant in Zemlinsky and also in this case his recording is very passionate and intense; the Kertész is engrossing and hauntingly beautiful (personally, my favourite version of Bluebeard's Castle), while Ludwig and Berry are extraordinary as main characters.

Thank you, Ilaria. I'm gonna search for the recordings and try to play them soon.

Daverz

Quote from: Irons on May 01, 2024, 11:09:14 PMViolin Sonata: Grace Williams.

A strong piece with plenty to say.

The whole disc is a real beauty. 

TD:

Schubert: Grand Duo, orchestrated by Joachim

vandermolen

Naxos Kalevala selection
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

Fantasia Incantata.
Ensemble Libro Primo.
See back cover for details.

Improvisatory, delightful enthusiastic performances. This ensemble took the reign, and plotted a route that paid them many dividends. It is remarkable well performed, and recorded. The musicians involved know their business. Fifty minutes of excellent entertainment. A disc hard to get, released on a label I never heard of. No matter, if your able to stream it will provide what I described. Recommended.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

Quote from: Harry on May 02, 2024, 11:01:47 PMFantasia Incantata.
Ensemble Libro Primo.
See back cover for details.

Improvisatory, delightful enthusiastic performances. This ensemble took the reign, and plotted a route that paid them many dividends. It is remarkable well performed, and recorded. The musicians involved know their business. Fifty minutes of excellent entertainment. A disc hard to get, released on a label I never heard of. No matter, if your able to stream it will provide what I described. Recommended.

Indeed! I guess it's not available streaming?

Que

Performances are up to the high standards of the ensemble Beauty Farm of late. Some voices are doubled in these four masses for 5 or six voices. But it is hard to tell who sings when, since the physical product doesn't provide much added value in the form of a booklet. Two pages of liner notes are printed inside the double folded carboard sleeves, with information on the tracks and the singers on the back. But it's worth it: rare repertoire in absolutely great performances, "continental" style.