What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

j winter

Yesterday, a large quantity of Bach, all of it quite enjoyable.  The Walcha was a first listen, very different in style from others I've tried.  A nice contrast, looking forward to exploring the rest of this set....

WTC Book 1- Walcha; Passacaglia - K Richter, Keyboard Concerti - Pinnock & Schiff, Violin & Harpsichord Sonatas, van Dael & van Asperen

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

aligreto

Mozart: String Quartet No. 17, K458 [Quatuor Mosaiques]

Elegance and refinement are both hallmarks of this performance of this wonderful music. The music flows graciously and effortlessly.

aligreto

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on October 09, 2019, 12:10:39 AM

Splendid as well. Among the finest piano music I've ever heard.

I'm in!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Madiel on October 11, 2019, 03:13:31 AM
Schumann, Violin Sonata No.1, op.105

Utterly gorgeous playing. And a demonstration of how good later Schumann works can be.

The violin sonatas are top-tier!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Traverso

Emilio de' Cavalieri

Lamentations

aligreto

Beethoven: Violin Sonata No. 9 "Kreutzer" [Oistrakh/Oborin]

The opening movement is a very assertive and exciting performance which is electrically charged. The Theme and Variations and the Finale sections both contain some sparkling performances.

aligreto

Stanford: String Quartet No. 8 [Dante Quartet]

This is a richly scored work and a full sounding performance. The standard of composition is of the highest order and the electrically charged and energetic performance is both captivating and compelling. This is a wonderful work which is given a very fine performance here.

Papy Oli

Good evening all,

Walton - 1st symphony (Mackerras / London Philarmonic)

Olivier

aligreto

Handel: Ariodante, Atto Terzo [Minkowski]

I really like this version . It is a strong, robust and yet not an overly assertive interpretation but it is also very sensitive in the appropriate places. The instrumental music can be dramatic but, overall, the vocal elements are the key points in this work and they are supremely delivered here. The presentation is very refined and it has a great presence. It is very impressive and highly recommended.

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on October 11, 2019, 08:21:06 AM
Good evening all,

Walton - 1st symphony (Mackerras / London Philarmonic)

That is a very good performance - one of the best.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

staxomega

Quote from: Irons on October 09, 2019, 11:24:16 PM
His suite for large orchestra "Cyrano de Bergerac" is wonderful and a personal favourite.

Any suggestions for excellent performances on digital? Thanks.

In my heavy rotation has been Michael Levinas' recordings of the WTC. It has been some time since I have listened to performances of WTC on piano this many times.

aligreto

Bruckner: Symphony No. 5 [Furtwangler]

A truly historic performance.

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on October 11, 2019, 12:21:43 PM
Bruckner: Symphony No. 5 [Furtwangler]

A truly historic performance.

Those Furtwangler performances are very special.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

Franck: Violin Sonata in A major transcribed for cello [Shafran/Ginzburg]

This works well as a transcription. The only minor quibble I have is that the tempi are on the slow side in the opening movement thus making the presentation a little less engaging for me in this movement. However, I like the added weight that the cello brings to this wonderful work. It is a terrific, live performance.

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on October 11, 2019, 01:09:54 PM
Those Furtwangler performances are very special.

They most certainly are.

Introverted

NP:

[asin]B07W6CDJH8[/asin]

Bruckner: Symphony #7 in E, WAB 107

Georg Solti: Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra

A favourite from the above Box-Set.

André

Terrific performances of both works, in good mono sound. The Mozart concerto reveals what a difference the right tempo can make. Casadesus' tone is clear as a bell, his articulation alive and pointed, his phrasing always sings. Schuricht is with him all the way. Too often K595 is given the 'autumnal' treatment, here we have an interpretation that is fresh, objective yet attuned to the work's singing character. In the Brahms symphony Schuricht conducts the WP and boy, do they ever deliver for the old conductor! The first movement is replete with emphatic accents and incisive phrasing, the strings digging their bows deep, creating a very dense texture. Listen to the witches' brew of growling low strings just before the launch of the coda. Terrific! The second movement too is very special, a bleak, weighty, tragic utterance. The audience must have been taken aback. Quite unique.

André

Classic performances that haven't aged one bit. Listen to the flute in the coda of Finlandia. Only a master conductor could achieve such tremendous power from the orchestra and yet keep the textures clear and transparent.

JBS

As part of the Warner Complete Berlioz box

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk