What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted Horses and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Wanderer

Quote from: ritter on May 13, 2024, 01:12:39 AMWell, feeling disgruntled is only natural after you've had to play Brahms (with your brother or anyone else), no?  ;D 

I think it's the architecture that's bumming them out. 🤭

(an excellent recording, by the way)

Florestan

Various pieces from these twofers.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 12, 2024, 03:51:27 PMGodard: Violin Concerto No. 2 in G minor

Anyone with penchant for French full-blooded romanticism will find this concerto a real pleasure to listen to, and this interpretation sounds just right.

Hanslip is a really fine player

vandermolen

Quote from: Linz on May 12, 2024, 01:58:03 PMRachmaninoff Symphony No. 2 in E Minor, Op. 27, The Philadelphia Orchestra, Eugene Ormandy
A great set!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

A most enjoyable Walton selection.
RLPO Sir Charles Groves:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

pjme

(All too...) Charming....  ;)

"On 3 September 1921, Nielsen wrote to his wife: "My new choral piece has turned out to be a really big piece of work (42 pages in the piano arrangement) and has now actually been delivered on time. But I have also worked a lot and with a certain lightness. The poet has called it Springtime on Funen but I also give it a subtitle, Lyrical Humoresque, which suggests that the style is light and lively... Now I will continue with my interrupted symphony (= nr 5)."

I had this LP, but never bought a cd.

https://www.visitdenmark.nl/denemarken/reis-plannen/dr-koncerthuset-gdk412702

I'm jealous: Denmark has a symphony orchestra, a chorus, a children's (girls?) chorus, a choral school, a big band ...in a large building with 4 halls.

ritter

Quote from: pjme on May 13, 2024, 05:28:13 AM

(All too...) Charming....  ;)

"On 3 September 1921, Nielsen wrote to his wife: "My new choral piece has turned out to be a really big piece of work (42 pages in the piano arrangement) and has now actually been delivered on time. But I have also worked a lot and with a certain lightness. The poet has called it Springtime on Funen but I also give it a subtitle, Lyrical Humoresque, which suggests that the style is light and lively... Now I will continue with my interrupted symphony (= nr 5)."

I had this LP, but never bought a cd.

I have that on CD. After listening to it, I never again bought another Nielsen CD...  ::)  :D

pjme

Quote from: ritter on May 13, 2024, 06:00:47 AMI have that on CD. After listening to it, I never again bought another Nielsen CD...  ::)  :D
:)  Indeed, not Nielsens greatest creation.... There are a few nice lyrical outpourings.   Yet he was working on the fifth symphony at the same time! 

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Wanderer on May 13, 2024, 02:16:42 AMI think it's the architecture that's bumming them out. 🤭

(an excellent recording, by the way)

More like, "what a disgrace our inadequate talents are being applied to this sublime music." :)

The recording is excellent, nevertheless.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

SonicMan46

Bach, CPE - Flute Quartets and Sonatas on the period recordings shown below. CPE wrote 3 Flute Quartets and nearly two dozen Flute Sonatas (see quote) - these are now catalogued preferably using Helm rather than the Wq numbering (see second quote, same link). Kuijken on 4 discs records virtually all of the sonatas w/ no overlap between the two sets - the Quartets are beautifully performed on both recordings below so will remain in my collection.  Dave :)

QuoteBach, CPE  Flute Chamber Works (H = Helm numbers) (Source)
Flute Quartets - 537, 538, 539; Total = 3
Flute Sonatas - 505, 506, 508, 509, 515, 542.5*, 543, 545+, 548, 550-556 (7), 560, 561, 564, 565, 640 (3); Total = 23
*(BWV 1020) +(BWV 1031)
QuoteC. P. E. Bach's works have been catalogued in different ways. The first comprehensive catalogue was by Alfred Wotquenne published in 1905, hence Wq. numbers. In 1989, E. Eugene Helm produced a revised catalogue, and H numbers are now also used. The catalogue assignment numbers listed here conform to an accepted concordance found between Wq. numbers and H numbers. The catalogue of Helm is now the preferred one for the works of CPE Bach.

Que

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 13, 2024, 07:13:16 AMBach, CPE - Flute Quartets and Sonatas on the period recordings shown below. CPE wrote 3 Flute Quartets and nearly two dozen Flute Sonatas (see quote) - these are now catalogued preferably using Helm rather than the Wq numbering (see second quote, same link). Kuijken on 4 discs records virtually all of the sonatas w/ no overlap between the two sets - the Quartets are beautifully performed on both recordings below so will remain in my collection.  Dave :)

I have the Sony set and like it very much. Will investigate your other suggestions, which look very tasty!  :laugh:

JBS

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 13, 2024, 04:19:48 AMHanslip is a really fine player
I have at least one CD featuring her as soloist.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

akebergv

Quote from: ritter on May 13, 2024, 06:00:47 AMI have that on CD. After listening to it, I never again bought another Nielsen CD...  ::)  :D
I'm sorry to hear that, but have to admit that that particular CD did grate on me also. Fortunately I had already discovered that Nielsen was one of my favorite composers, so I simply put that CD away. Eventually, after listening to other versions by Herbert Blomstedt I discovered that it was these interpretations that I did not like, not the works themselves.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Iota on May 13, 2024, 12:43:53 AMAn oddly disgruntled fraternal feeling in that photo.

They remembered that they bought tickets to see Die Meistersinger live that night.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Florestan

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 13, 2024, 08:55:39 AMThey remembered that they bought tickets to see Die Meistersinger live that night.

;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Spotted Horses

Mozart, Symphony No 34 again, this time Gardiner, rather than Pinnock

The ensemble has a sound closer to a modern orchestra and Gardiner makes the music sound a bit more conventionally symphonic. Perhaps his "English Baroque Soloists" has a larger string section than Pinnock's "English Concert." Or perhaps his style is closer to the modern tradition.

In any case, I think Gardiner's style might work better for the big four final symphonies, although Pinnock is more charming in the earlier works.

The big advantage of these PI performances, in my view, is that you can clearly hear the braying horns near the end of the finale, which are invariably reduced to a polite harmonic support in MI performances.

Now, for PI I also have Hogwood and Bruggen on my shelves, and for HIP, Harnoncourt/RCO, as well as Fischer, Mackerras, Krips, probably others. Now I'm curious about the old Marriner OSMF on Philips.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Karl Henning

I wouldn't recommend it as an entrée to Nielsen, but if one is already fond of the composer, a charming disc.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Todd

Disc 38, the first of two devoted to Abbado's first go at the Brandenburgs.  It's just awful, awful stuff.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot