What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz (+ 1 Hidden) and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Lisztianwagner

Franz Liszt
Transcendental Etudes

Pianist: Bertrand Chamayou

"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

Ian

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 22, 2024, 11:02:47 PMAs a work it deserves to be better known - it occupies much the same sense of cinematic spectacle as the Roman Trilogy for sure.
Agreed. I'd love to hear the Ormandy version. I can highly recommend the John Neschling / OPRL recordings on BIS. I had a couple of the CDs already but I bought the box set which is wonderful.

Harry

Leevi Madetoja.
See back cover for the works on this CD.
Recorded: Helsinki Music Centre, 2012.

It must be said that these performances are superb in every respect. I will in due course also sample the Petri Sakari interpretations on Chandos Collect, but for now I am very pleased. SOTA sound.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

ritter

A rare outing of Lutoslawski chez ritter:

Mirror Image

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 22, 2024, 11:02:47 PMI knew this performance from its LP incarnation;

which then made it onto bargain CD....

I'm guessing the Japanese remastered(?) sonics are better than either of those?  In the versions I've heard the CBS/Sony sonics have been surpassed by Chandos/BIS etc

EDIT:  Actually in all fairness - I've just been relistening to the CD Essentials disc and for a 1964 recording it is actually pretty spectacular!!  As a work it deserves to be better known - it occupies much the same sense of cinematic spectacle as the Roman Trilogy for sure.  Does that Japanese version really include 2 versions of some of the Roman Trilogy works?

I haven't heard or own any of the earlier CD incarnations (and certainly not the LP), but this Japanese 2-CD set sounds fantastic to my ears as it has been remastered. There is a great presence and bloom in the fidelity. This 2-CD set contains two recordings of the Roman Trilogy (1957-1961 on disc one and 1968 on disc two). Of course, Ormandy recorded this work a third time in 1974 (I own this Japanese issued CD, too). I think Ormandy's Vetrate di chiesa is a contender for one of the great ones on record. I mean sure there are several other great performances, too, but Ormandy had a special way with Respighi's music that just sweeps you along on this wonderful aural journey.
"You cannot set art off in a corner and hope for it to have vitality, reality, and substance." ― Charles Ives

Harry

Vitezlav Novak.
See back cover for the works on this CD.
Recorded:1999, Studio 7, New Broadcasting House, Manchester, UK.

From my past but still unsurpassed in interpretation and superb sound. Novak has always been a guilty pleasure of mine, but a temptation I could never resist. Recommended.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on May 23, 2024, 12:29:31 AMThis is a strong contender for the best complete recordings of Rachmaninoff's piano concertos.

Yes, it's a fine set all-around. Earl Wild is at the top of his game in these performances.
"You cannot set art off in a corner and hope for it to have vitality, reality, and substance." ― Charles Ives

Mirror Image

NP:

Martinu
Viola Sonata, H. 355
Alexander Besa, Petra Besa

DavidW

I've started the day with some Mozart symphonies, and now I've moved on to Ives:

Irons

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Karl Henning

Quote from: steve ridgway on May 22, 2024, 10:20:00 PMR. Strauss: Vier Letzte Lieder

Oh yes, it is rather good isn't it? 8)

Yummers!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 23, 2024, 06:20:27 AMNP:

Martinu
Viola Sonata, H. 355
Alexander Besa, Petra Besa

I didn't know Martinu had written a viola sonata. Interesting.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Brian

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 23, 2024, 07:14:21 AMI didn't know Martinu had written a viola sonata. Interesting.
Also on this disc with a similar program (substituting the Rhapsody-Concerto for the six-instrument Chamber Music No. 1):

By coincidence I was also listening to Martinu - the Suite Concertante for violin and orchestra (FPZ, Bamberg, Hrusa, BIS).

ritter

Quote from: Brian on May 23, 2024, 07:30:25 AMAlso on this disc with a similar program (substituting the Rhapsody-Concerto for the six-instrument Chamber Music No. 1):

By coincidence I was also listening to Martinu - the Suite Concertante for violin and orchestra (FPZ, Bamberg, Hrusa, BIS).
I find that cover strangely scary!  ::) Certainly doesn't entice me to listen to Martinu (not that I am very predisposed anyway).

DavidW

@Brian @Mirror Image I will have to check out those chamber works!  I'm a sucker for all things Martinu chamber music.

Mandryka

To some extent in my constant exploration I forget how good things from the past were. I find this live op 58 Chopin sonata from Gilels here  both distinctive and satisfying - and I've not heard it in maybe 15 years.

I know someone who said that he once went into Gilels' dressing room before a concert and found him deep in prayer. He said he always prays before a recital. Maybe that has coloured my perceptions a little somehow.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Brian on May 23, 2024, 07:30:25 AMAlso on this disc with a similar program (substituting the Rhapsody-Concerto for the six-instrument Chamber Music No. 1):

I'm way ahead of you, I already have that in my presto shopping cart (Flac download) along with the Supraphon disc MI mentioned and a Naxos disc which has the viola sonata along with some other scattershot Martinu chamber music. The supraphon disc has a slight edge over the BIS, in my view because it has that peculiar piece of chamber music, rather than the viola rhapsodie-concerto, of which I already have at least two recordings, including the superb Zimmermann/Conlon on Capriccio.  After quick listening, it seems like the Violin/Viola duo No 2 may become my favorite among the Martinu chamber music featuring Viola.

(We should be on the Martinu thread.)

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Spotted Horses

I listened to the Second Serenade of Brahms, the same Belohlavek release.

I generally prefer the second serenade, which has more of a mature Brahms feel, but lighter than the symphonic or chamber music. Very nicely performed, although this is not destined to be my favorite Brahms. I vaguely remember being introduced to this music by brilliant recordings from Adrian Boult, decades ago.

Now I am remembering that I never finished my traversal off the Fischer/Budapest Festival Orchestra recordings of the Brahms symphonies. No 4 still to go.

Spotted Horses

And just to be clear, I am talking about Ivan Fischer Brahms

Poking around I came across Adam Fischer's Brahms, which has to be the most god-awful thing I have ever heard! (Speaking only for myself, of course.)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Vítězslava Kaprálová Orchestral Works. Alena Hron and Janáček Philharmonic Ostrava.