What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 23, 2024, 11:49:31 AMNP:

Ropartz
Symphony No. 3
Isabelle Philippe, Elodie Mechain, Marc Laho, Jean Teitgen
Erik Satie Vocal Ensemble, Jacques Ibert Vocal Ensemble, Opus 37 Vocal Ensemble, Tours Region Center Symphony Orchestra
Jean-Yves Ossonce

From this OOP recording -

Ropartz wrote some good works and this symphony is one of them, although I'm less convinced by the 1st and 5th. Do you know his chamber works? Plenty to enjoy there too.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Karl Henning

JSB
Lobet den Herrn alle Heiden, BWV230
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 23, 2024, 12:04:07 PMRopartz wrote some good works and this symphony is one of them, although I'm less convinced by the 1st and 5th. Do you know his chamber works? Plenty to enjoy there too.

Yeah, I have a few discs of his chamber works (all on Timpani), but I'm still looking for his SQs. All three volumes are OOP, which is no surprise since Timpani went out-of-business. :(
"What was great about the '50s is that, for one brief moment - maybe, say, six weeks - nobody understood art." ― Morton Feldman

Ian

<——- this.  Steinberg & BSO (i.e. the absolute best (imo of course))

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 23, 2024, 10:53:11 AMJSB
French Suite № 2 in c minor, BWV 813
Alan Curtis

Love Nos 2 and 3!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Bach organ set. Dijk. Excellent!

foxandpeng

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 22, 2024, 07:23:13 PMRosenberg: Symphony No. 8 (Stig Westerberg, Swedish Radio S.O.)

This is the 2nd version of this symphony which is in one movement that unfolds organically. An intriguing and worthwhile piece.

Outstanding work in my book 🙂
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

foxandpeng

Quote from: Harry on May 23, 2024, 04:54:56 AMLeevi Madetoja.
See back cover for the works on this CD.
Recorded: Helsinki Music Centre, 2012.

It must be said that these performances are superb in every respect. I will in due course also sample the Petri Sakari interpretations on Chandos Collect, but for now I am very pleased. SOTA sound.

Storgärds. Never a foot wrong.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Mandryka

Francescatti/Bagnioli Schubert - both pianist and violinist are easy to hear and they seem to work as a team.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Daverz

Quote from: Mandryka on May 23, 2024, 01:26:00 PM

Francescatti/Bagnioli Schubert - both pianist and violinist are easy to hear and they seem to work as a team.

Is this LP only?  I had no idea that Francescatti had recorded these Schubert pieces.

Now Playing:

Magnificent.

Linz

Bruckner Symphony  No. 8 in C Minor, 1890 Version. Ed. Leopold Nowak, Yomiuri Nippon Symphony Orchestra,  Stanislaw Skrowaczewski

DaveF

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 22, 2024, 07:23:13 PMRosenberg: Symphony No. 8 (Stig Westerberg, Swedish Radio S.O.)

This is the 2nd version of this symphony which is in one movement that unfolds organically. An intriguing and worthwhile piece.

Thank you - I had no idea that Rosenberg 8 had been recorded, and the whole box looks fascinating.  That just leaves nos. 1, 5 (the through-the-roof masterpiece, IMHO) and 7 of the Rosenberg symphonies unrecorded.  I see that the first version of no.8 included a chorus, but am guessing that the revised version doesn't, as none is credited on track listings.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Mirror Image

NP:

Cras
Quintette pour harp, flute, violin, viola et cello
Juliette Hurel, Philippe Graffin, Miguel da Silva, Henri Demarquette, Marie-Pierre Langlamet

"What was great about the '50s is that, for one brief moment - maybe, say, six weeks - nobody understood art." ― Morton Feldman

Mirror Image

Some Schumann before dinnertime --- now playing Symphony No. 1 in B-flat, Op. 38, "Spring" with Tilson Thomas conducting the San Francesco SO --- from this set:

I hope that MTT is doing better since that rather horrible diagnosis he disclosed to everyone via his website. It seems he's still conducting, but nothing like the workload he had previously with the SFSO.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

VonStupp

Frederick Delius
American Rhapsody
Fantastic Dance
RSNO - David Lloyd-Jones

Two I am unfamiliar with.
VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: foxandpeng on May 23, 2024, 01:19:16 PMOutstanding work in my book 🙂

It did make an impression on me as well.

Quote from: DaveF on May 23, 2024, 02:01:46 PMThank you - I had no idea that Rosenberg 8 had been recorded, and the whole box looks fascinating.  That just leaves nos. 1, 5 (the through-the-roof masterpiece, IMHO) and 7 of the Rosenberg symphonies unrecorded.  I see that the first version of no.8 included a chorus, but am guessing that the revised version doesn't, as none is credited on track listings.

The first version of the 8th called 'In Candidum' (the 2nd version is called 'Sinfonia Serena') which appears on YouTube has a less-than-ideal sound quality, it's a pity since like you I am a fan of this composer and I wish all his symphonies would get recorded in great sound. Many of those Caprice sets contain attractive rarities from Swedish lands I keep investigating.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Daverz

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 23, 2024, 02:43:49 PMI hope that MTT is doing better since that rather horrible diagnosis he disclosed to everyone via his website. It seems he's still conducting, but nothing like the workload he had previously with the SFSO.

Some recent reports have not been heartening. 

https://theviolinchannel.com/michael-tilson-thomas-suffers-from-confusion-at-london-symphony-orchestra/

Now playing: Brahms Piano Concerto No. 1

Symphonic Addict

What these string quartets have of complexity, they have of reward. Pieces that invite to be heard many times to grasp them better.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on May 23, 2024, 03:37:40 PMSome recent reports have not been heartening. 

https://theviolinchannel.com/michael-tilson-thomas-suffers-from-confusion-at-london-symphony-orchestra/

Thanks for the update. I truly feel terrible for him. He has such an aggressive form of cancer that the success rate is rather slim. He's given so much, I wish there was some magic wand I could wave.