What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on May 24, 2024, 06:29:37 AMOn youtube, first listen to:

Giacomo Puccini
La Fanciulla del West

Zubin Mehta & Orchestra of the Royal Opera House Covent Garden

A GREAT version.  Neither quite understood why Carol Neblett recorded so little.  There's this and the wonderful Korngold Die Tote Stadt..... and that's pretty much it

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Four Orchestral Works from Turkey. Budapest Philharmonic Orchestra, Hikmet Simsek.

AnotherSpin

Florestan

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 24, 2024, 09:36:35 AMIn the 50's Decca made a series of recordings of Italian Opera with Santa Cecilia, often with Renata Debaldi, Mario del Monaco, and often with Previtali or Molinari-Pradelli conducting. They are considered by many to be the epitome of golden-age Italian Opera performance. My brother is a big fan of them, and he explained to me that orchestras like to Berlin Philharmonic are incapable of playing these works properly because they are too good. Santa Cecilia could supply the borderline out-of-control feeling in the climactic passages that is the heart of Italian Opera performance. :)

Of course, for most fans it is Tebaldi's voice that is the selling point. All a matter of personal preference, of course.

Please send my best, and kudos, to your brother!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Madiel

Faure Melodies, Dietschy & Cassard.

I need a bit of sophistication in my day.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

DavidW

Quote from: Bachtoven on May 24, 2024, 10:00:36 AMWell, this is a huge disappointment. Aho is one of my favorite contemporary composers, but his Guitar Concerto wasn't worth putting on paper as far as I'm concerned. Way too much reliance on open strings for one (the opening just requires the guitarist to pluck/strum the 3 open treble strings--my, how inventive). There are a few passages that caught my ear, but he never really explores what the instrument can do. He wrote a solo guitar work that was far more interesting, so I don't know what went wrong here. The Horn Quintet is a little better, but still pretty meh for me. His completion of the final fugue from Bach's "Art of Fugue" is very good. Maybe others will enjoy this recording more than I did.

Despite being an Aho fan, that doesn't surprise me.  He has written concertos for an absurd variety of instruments but doesn't necessarily show affinity for well... most of them.  When I want his orchestral music I usually stick to his symphonies.

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 24, 2024, 09:29:44 AMGlad that you are having fun exploring some Puccini!  Have you heard many of his operas before now?

PD
No, I have only listened to three operas so far, La Bohème, Tosca and Madama Butterfly; I haven't enjoyed the first very much, while the latter ones are definitely remarkable works. La Fanciulla del West seems to be quite interesting (I haven't finished it yet), particularly the orchestration.
"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 3 in D Minor, 1890 Thorough revision Bruckner with Joseph and Franz Schalk Ed. Theodor Raettig, Takashi Asahina Osaka Philharmonic Orchestra

foxandpeng

Quote from: Harry on May 24, 2024, 04:01:16 AMEdmund Rubbra.
Complete Symphonies.
Symphony No.1, opus 44, & No.2, opus 45.
BBC National Orchestra of Wales, Richard Hickox.
Recorded in 1995-96, Brangwyn Hall, Swansea, Glamorgan, Wales.

Starting again with this wonderful cycle, and starting with the first CD. SOTA sound and performance.

Well worth the time investment. Some great listening today, Harry!
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Harry

Quote from: foxandpeng on May 24, 2024, 02:19:56 PMWell worth the time investment. Some great listening today, Harry!

Yeah, finally had some spare time while rebuilding my listening room ;D
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

foxandpeng

John Pickard
Symphonies 2 and 6
Martyn Brabbins
BBC NOW
BIS

Been waiting for this release, so I am pleased to get a first listen before bed.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Bachtoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: Bachtoven on May 24, 2024, 10:00:36 AMWell, this is a huge disappointment. Aho is one of my favorite contemporary composers, but his Guitar Concerto wasn't worth putting on paper as far as I'm concerned. Way too much reliance on open strings for one (the opening just requires the guitarist to pluck/strum the 3 open treble strings--my, how inventive). There are a few passages that caught my ear, but he never really explores what the instrument can do. He wrote a solo guitar work that was far more interesting, so I don't know what went wrong here. The Horn Quintet is a little better, but still pretty meh for me. His completion of the final fugue from Bach's "Art of Fugue" is very good. Maybe others will enjoy this recording more than I did.

Thanks for taking one for the team! I just cancelled my order based on your review. I'm not a huge fan of guitar concerti anyway, so I really could've easily skipped this release.
"What was great about the '50s is that, for one brief moment - maybe, say, six weeks - nobody understood art." ― Morton Feldman

Mirror Image

I'm going to spend the next few nights (or however long it takes) to go through the Beethoven late SQs again, but my guide this time with be the Emerson String Quartet on DG ---

NP:

Quartet in E-flat major, Op. 127

From this OOP set -

Just got a new CD player (Teac CD-P650) and I'm playing through the headphone input right now and it sounds fantastic.
"What was great about the '50s is that, for one brief moment - maybe, say, six weeks - nobody understood art." ― Morton Feldman

Bachtoven

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 24, 2024, 08:01:55 PMThanks for taking one for the team! I just cancelled my order based on your review. I'm not a huge fan of guitar concerti anyway, so I really could've easily skipped this release.
Don't let me dissuade you! You can probably stream it or find samples before you buy it, then decide for yourself.

Que

Lute intabulations of music by Josquin Desprez.

https://earlymusicreview.com/josquin-inviolata/

I listened to this recording once before and my impression is the same: subtle and sophisticated, but also deliberate and measured... Not much of a sparkle in his playing.. boring, if you will.

AnotherSpin

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Bachtoven on May 24, 2024, 09:37:21 PMDon't let me dissuade you! You can probably stream it or find samples before you buy it, then decide for yourself.

Your mention of the transcription and completion of the final contrapuntus from Bach's Art of the Fugue convinced me to stream it, at least. And not the guitar concerto of course.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 24, 2024, 06:26:14 AMVarious works from this Lyadov disc of orchestral works with Sinaisky and the BBC Philharmonic:

A great Lyadov CD - one of my favourites John.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).