Previous topic - Next topic

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on March 26, 2020, 01:03:18 AM
Jacob Van Eyck: played by Frans Bruggen

Batali
Doen Daphne d'over schoone Maeght
Pavane Lachryme
Engels Nachtigaeltje

Very Nice,one of my first Bruggen recordings.

Traverso

Bach

6 Schübler Chorales BWV 645-650
18 Leipzig Chorales BWV 651-655,668

also sung in the Chorale Harmonizations

The Amsterdam Baroque Choir
Ton Koopman
Christian Müller Organ,Built 1724-7,Grote Kerk,Leeuwarden

Tsaraslondon

Fabulous performances of the Prokoviev and Ravel concertos with the added bonus of Argerich's Gaspard de la nuit. Stunning.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

aligreto

Debussy: Three Images for Orchestra [Monteux]

Mellifluous and evocative, mysterious and atmospheric music and performances.

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on March 26, 2020, 03:12:57 AM

Very Nice,one of my first Bruggen recordings.

Yes, wonderful playing from Bruggen.

Marc

Quote from: aligreto on March 26, 2020, 03:30:04 AM

More or less following up:

Debussy, Printemps (Suite symphonique).
Orchestra National de l'ORTF (with Michel Sedrez & Fabienne Boury, piano), conducted by Jean Martinon.
Issued by EMI, reissued by Brilliant Classics.

Forced to work at home... I'm making the 'most' of it, digging into my collection with works that I had not listened to... for ages and ages. :)

vers la flamme

Dmitri Shostakovich: Symphony No.7 in C major, op.60, the "Leningrad". Vasily Petrenko, Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra

Currently the "military" sequence of the first movement. People call it lowbrow and tacky, and perhaps it is, but I like it and think it really works in context. Certainly beats Ravel's Bolero in any case  ;D I've never actually listened to this symphony on recording, but I have seen it in concert. I remember the second and third movements lost me for a while.

Papy Oli

Good morning all,

Sibelius 4th (Blomstedt).

[asin]B000FOQ1EA[/asin]

Olivier

vers la flamme

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 26, 2020, 03:49:24 AM

Dmitri Shostakovich: Symphony No.7 in C major, op.60, the "Leningrad". Vasily Petrenko, Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra

Currently the "military" sequence of the first movement. People call it lowbrow and tacky, and perhaps it is, but I like it and think it really works in context. Certainly beats Ravel's Bolero in any case  ;D I've never actually listened to this symphony on recording, but I have seen it in concert. I remember the second and third movements lost me for a while.

I didn't know Mahler as well as I do now when I had seen this in concert, but boy, the influence is undeniable. This movement reminds me quite a lot of the first movement of the 6th symphony.

Mahlerian

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 26, 2020, 03:53:18 AM
I didn't know Mahler as well as I do now when I had seen this in concert, but boy, the influence is undeniable. This movement reminds me quite a lot of the first movement of the 6th symphony.

For my money, the work in Shostakovich's oeuvre that most closely engages with Mahler, and particularly with the Sixth, is his Fourth Symphony, which is (no surprise) my favorite Shostakovich. That said, parts of the Fourteenth, which I listened to yesterday, also echoed Mahler more than once...

Current listening:

Messiaen: Livre du Saint-Sacrement
Jennifer Bate
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Roasted Swan

For me Morton Gould is a hugely underrated composer.  He suffers the same fate as Malcolm Arnold, being judged purely by his (excellent) populist music which tends to leave his more serious music in the shade.  But that is equally fine too.  Just listening to a new Naxos disc of - yes that's right - the populist music.  Good so far - and a very useful/unique compilation of these works.  But one question..... what happened to Gould's Symphonette No.1.  It does not appear to be listed in his catalogue or have appeared on disc.  Did he withdraw it?

Carlo Gesualdo

I'm listening to a tremendously good ensemble, Gallicantus !

The best Prophetiea Sybillarum, there Lagrime di San Pietro is in league whit  the Huelgas ensemble, equal in term of quality.

So this is what I'm listening this morning, Gallicantus offerings, I mandatory listen folks, recommended them both, their that fantastic, Lassus never seem so alive, thee boy know what he is talking about, deprofundis has plenty of Lassus album CD and LP  so you should trust me and buy them or download them FLAC, yes yes very nice hmm yes.

:P I drooled like a Pavlov dog for these releases, there top-notch!!

Harry

Emmanuel Chabrier.
Orchestral Works.
Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, Neeme Jarvi.

This is a true State of the Art recording ++. Front to back depth is amazing, detailing of all the instruments stunning, actually one of the best remastered recordings I heard made by Chandos.
I have been an admirer of Charbier's music from as long as I can remember. Always had the melodies of "Espana", or the Two movements from "Le Roi malgre Lui" in my head, and never heard quite convincing performances of it, until now. Jarvi does everything right in his interpretation, and never puts a foot wrong. Even the Lamento from 1871, heavily criticized in his time, gets what it deserves, a noteworthy performance that puts the critics to shame.
I would recommend this recording unreservedly.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mahlerian on March 26, 2020, 04:20:10 AM
For my money, the work in Shostakovich's oeuvre that most closely engages with Mahler, and particularly with the Sixth, is his Fourth Symphony, which is (no surprise) my favorite Shostakovich. That said, parts of the Fourteenth, which I listened to yesterday, also echoed Mahler more than once...

Current listening:

Messiaen: Livre du Saint-Sacrement
Jennifer Bate

I'll need to give the 4th another listen. I've heard it only once and I wasn't really blown away. I've never heard the 14th but I should take care of that soon. I bought this Petrenko/RLPO back in January and I'm working through it slowly. I'm a new fan of the DSCH symphonies but I have to be in the mood.

San Antone

My favorite recording of Appalachian Spring.

Karl Henning

Quote from: aligreto on March 26, 2020, 03:30:04 AM

Lovely!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 26, 2020, 03:49:24 AM

Interesting! In my own journey with the Leningrad, it was the middle movements which won me over.  At this point, I've loved the whole symphony forever.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

aligreto

Quote from: Marc on March 26, 2020, 03:47:20 AM

Debussy, Printemps (Suite symphonique).
Orchestra National de l'ORTF (with Michel Sedrez & Fabienne Boury, piano), conducted by Jean Martinon.
Issued by EMI, reissued by Brilliant Classics.

Cheers. Martinon is another older conductor that I really like.

Biffo

Mozart: Piano Concerto for Piano and Orchestra No 14 in E flat major, K449 - Mieczslaw Horszowski piano with Festival Strings, Lucerne conducted by Rudolf Baumgartner. Mozart said three of his concertos could be played a quattro . I had always understood this to mean played as piano quintets but here DG decided on a string orchestra. Brendel recorded No 12 (K414) with the ABQ.