What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biffo

Quote from: edward on April 02, 2020, 07:07:24 AM
Unless things have changed since I last looked, Ancerl is the only recording. The good news is it's Ancerl in Czech music and thus it's amazing.

Going off to give it a listen now, actually, since I haven't in a year or two.

I am sure Ancerl gives a good account of it, I was just hoping for a more modern recording. I have roughly half of the Ancerl Gold series.

Mahlerian

Quote from: MusicTurner on April 02, 2020, 07:08:57 AM
Very nice recording, it is.

Indeed; I've loved the Domus set of Brahms Piano Quartets for many years now. The four of them play so well off of each other.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

not edward

Whoa. Had forgotten how impressive Mystery of Time was.

Now listening to the world premiere of the 8th symphony with Jana Jonášová, Les Percussions de Strasbourg, and Vaclav Rabas.

Terrifying, apocalyptic music, and on a completely different level of intensity to the Neumann or Hrůša recordings.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

T. D.

Quote from: edward on April 02, 2020, 07:40:34 AM

Now listening to the world premiere of the 8th symphony with Jana Jonášová, Les Percussions de Strasbourg, and Vaclav Rabas.

Terrifying, apocalyptic music, and on a completely different level of intensity to the Neumann or Hrůša recordings.
Yes! This is awesome but so harrowing that I can't listen frequently.

Traverso

Bach

Geschwinde.Ihr Wirbelnden Winde BWV201
Durchlaucht'ster Leopold BWV173a

premont

Quote from: Traverso on April 02, 2020, 06:24:04 AM

I just read that the Bach/Beekman recordings may be reissue

https://www.lindenbergproductions.nl/over-ons/

Particularly interesting if they will be made easily available internationally and not just through a small Dutch bookshop, which doesn't send abroad.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

San Antone

CAGE: String Quartet (1950)
LUTOSLAWSKI: String Quartet
MAYUZUMI: Prelude for String Quartet
PENDERECKI: Quartetto per archi
LaSalle Quartet

aukhawk

Quote from: MandrykaI don't see why there's more there already in the Bach than in, for example, Verdi's Otello.
Quote from: MahlerianI think the distinction is that the "action" in Bach is mostly abstract and interior already; it is embodied in a telling of something, rather than an enacting of something happening in the "present." Whatever we may gain by heightening the dramatic themes of the work by staging it, we ignore the fact that it is not primarily narrative.
Quote from: Mandryka on April 01, 2020, 09:57:07 AM
Have you read John Butt's book Bach's Dialogue with Modernity: Perspectives on the Passions? I find it very difficult, occasionally I dip into it but I don't get very far, but it looks at the sort of thing you're interested in there. It's the sort of book which would be good for a discussion group I think.

I saw a production in Glyndebourne by Katie Mitchell which presented it as a sort of play within a play, a group of travelling performers retold the passion story for some people who were in morning, as a sort of therapy. It wasn't as enjoyable for me as the Jonathan Miller one for the BBC.

J.E.Gardiner also has a few pithy thoughts on the subject in his book Music in the Castle of Heaven.  Summing up his chapter devoted to the St Matthew Passion he writes:
QuoteI see no overwhelming advantage - nor any inherent need - to define and localise the dramatic essence of Bach's Passions by staging them as proxy operas.  On the contrary, the moment the drama is freighted with extraneous aesthetic baggage, it risks being flattened out and the music diminished as a result.

He also mentions the Miller production and frequently references the John Butt book, according due respect to both.  He also makes a good point about the spatial drama inherent in the original performance setting, the Thomaskirche as it was in Bach's time, e.g, with the 3rd choir (sopranos) separated from the rest of the musicians by the entire length of the church.  He mentions that most of the principal soloists and singers would not have been visible to the vast majority of the audience (Gardiner's word) but in another point suggests that the physical antics of the Gamba player in the aria Komm, süßes Kreuz is a theatrical touch.  The audience, he says, would have been sophisticated enough to understand the symbolism (the player's postures a series of representations of the Cross) even though they could not see him.

Iota

Quote from: Madiel on April 02, 2020, 03:57:12 AM
What gets me is how insanely intense some of the music is. It feels like there are long stretches that are quite cool (temperature wise) and objective, and then... wham.

The faster parts of the finale are really quite something.

Indeed to all of that. I think amongst many other virtues, Petrenko's pacing is fantastic.

Here:

Holloway: Trio for Oboe, Violin & Piano, Op. 115

Similarly whimsical to the earlier trio from this disc, but in both the whimsy has a certain graininess to it, not remotely mawkish. Framed in attractive transparent textures and atmosphere throughout.

Harry

Quote from: (: premont :) on April 02, 2020, 08:13:15 AM
Particularly interesting if they will be made easily available internationally and not just through a small Dutch bookshop, which doesn't send abroad.

Don't worry Poul, I will send it to you if need be :)
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

T. D.

SonicMan46

Liszt, Franz (1811-1886) - last few days, going through about half of my Liszt collection; had to resolve some confusion in my mind, i.e. the Leslie Howard 2-disc set of 'Hungarian Gypsy Songs & Rhapsodies' which are S242 (Nos. 1-22 in the Howard recordings; S = Searle numbering - Source); Jeno Jando performs the typical 'Hungarian Rhapsodies' (S244, Nos. 1-19); whereas Arthur Fagen conducts the 6 orchestral 'Hungarian Rhapsodies' taken from S244 and now number S359 (orchestrated by Doppler & Liszt) - think that I have these works 'straightened out' for the moment -  ;D  Dave

San Antone

Kaga2

The Buchburger Haydn odyssey draws to a close with a slaughter of the suitors Seven Last Words

North Star

Quote from: edward on April 02, 2020, 07:40:34 AM

Mystery of Time is amazing indeed, was revisiting it too now, from the Digital Concerthall.
I didn't know Hrůša has recorded the 8th symphony? Perhaps you meant Ivanovic on Supraphon? He definitely should record some Kabelac, though..

That reminds me, I should revisit this set, and evidently look for the Les Percussions de Strasbourg recording, too.

[asin]B01HOU7GW8[/asin]

Of course, there's another live recording of Hrůša conducting The Mystery of Time, with the Finnish RSO.
https://www.youtube.com/v/UgeYpx-azF0
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

vandermolen

Quote from: North Star on April 02, 2020, 10:43:59 AM
Mystery of Time is amazing indeed, was revisiting it too now, from the Digital Concerthall.
I didn't know Hrůša has recorded the 8th symphony? Perhaps you meant Ivanovic on Supraphon? He definitely should record some Kabelac, though..

That reminds me, I should revisit this set, and evidently look for the Les Percussions de Strasbourg recording, too.

[asin]B01HOU7GW8[/asin]

Of course, there's another live recording of Hrůša conducting The Mystery of Time, with the Finnish RSO.
https://www.youtube.com/v/UgeYpx-azF0
It's a pity that the marvellous 'Mystery of Time' was not included in the Supraphon box. We could do with a new recording.
Thread duty:
Myaskovsky: Symphony No.4
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Carlo Gesualdo

I have too wonderful albums to listen, Baroque Flemish music treasure Unveiled : Bart Rody, wow this is awesome folks, really spendid music.Get this soon.

Than Secondo, Euskel Antiqua Enrique Solinis ''legacy of land of the basques'' major once again, great offerings on both side hey?

8)

Super purchase and listening admit it!!

JBS

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 02, 2020, 10:05:25 AM
Liszt, Franz (1811-1886) - last few days, going through about half of my Liszt collection; had to resolve some confusion in my mind, i.e. the Leslie Howard 2-disc set of 'Hungarian Gypsy Songs & Rhapsodies' which are S242 (Nos. 1-22 in the Howard recordings; S = Searle numbering - Source); Jeno Jando performs the typical 'Hungarian Rhapsodies' (S244, Nos. 1-19); whereas Arthur Fagen conducts the 6 orchestral 'Hungarian Rhapsodies' taken from S244 and now number S359 (orchestrated by Doppler & Liszt) - think that I have these works 'straightened out' for the moment -  ;D  Dave

The Jando recordings were the first Liszt I got on CD.  Took me a couple of listens before they clicked, but I think they are a very good performance.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

pjme

On TV - really enjoying this Antonio Gades spectacle:

https://www.youtube.com/v/F1LKevfCnwQ

Most of the music is "classic" Spanish folkmusic / flamenco / with handclaps, guitars, drums, flutes and castanets, made/compiled/prepared by Antonio Gades, Faustino Núnez, Antonio Solera.
Some musical fragments are by Antón García Abril (orchestrations of baroque dances?) and there's also a fragment from Mussorgsky's Pictures.

André

Steve Hicken: The Rings of Saturn
Joshua Sellers: Dythiramb

Karl Henning:
- Irreplaceable Doodles
- The Mousetrap
- The Passion According to St John

The last two named are among my favourite works of Henning's. The Mousetrap is a 25 minute fantasy (?) for solo clarinet. I love the way the instrument (the mouse?) feels its way around. The Petrushka theme toward the end comes as a surprise while in keeping with the rest of the work's argument. The second part of St John Passion has a hypnotic drone on the men' voices over which the ladies' chorus intones the text of the Passion. The effect is much like what one hears from choral music from the Orthodox tradition. It has a mesmerizing, soothing quality.