What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: aligreto on October 18, 2019, 07:41:28 AM
So I presume that you are very happy with the performances and interpretations, Que.

Indeed, I am.  :)

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on October 17, 2019, 10:19:39 PM
Two great discs Cesar. The highlight of the Honegger CD  for me is the oddly moving score for the animated film 'L'Idee' which I even have an alternative recording of. I'd be interested to hear what you think of it.

Early morning listening here before work:

Alfven: Symphony 4. State Academic Symphony Orchestra, Svetlanov. A live performance coupled with Debussy's 'La Mer':

I remember hearing most of his orchestral music, albeit not sure about L'Idee. I should listen to it soon. Thanks for the recommendation, Jeffrey.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on October 17, 2019, 10:28:13 PM
'Walton meets Sibelius' is quite accurate I think but I still like the 'Symphony 1940' a lot, maybe because Walton and Sibelius are two of my favourite composers!
:)

That is a pretty strong reason!  :)

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Daverz on October 17, 2019, 11:35:43 PM
This set is pretty good, too:

[asin]B000JVSTD0[/asin]

Very interesting. I was unaware of another cycle. They look like very meaty CDs. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Irons on October 18, 2019, 12:13:40 AM
Britten: Six Metamorphoses.

To compose for oboe solo must be a challenge but Britten pulls it off. The six after Ovid are; Pan, Phaeton, Niobe, Bacchus, Narcissus and Arethusa. Each are completely different in mood and with the constant flow of ideas make for an engrossing listen. The oboe soloist is Janet Craxton.

The premiere performance of the Six Metamorphoses must go down in musical history as one of the strangest. Composed for the 1951 Aldeburgh Festival, Joy Boughton (daughter of Rutland Boughton) made the first performance from a punt on the river Meare at Thorpness. Her audience also sat in punts.

That Britten work is certainly new to me. Sounds appealing. Otherwise, I do know the other work on that LP (the Hindemith Octet), which is one of his late chamber works and it's certainly a strong piece.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: ritter on October 18, 2019, 01:06:45 AM
I certainly must revisit this cycle, which I've owned for many, many years now, but have neglected recently. The multifaceted Krenek is a composer I greatly admire, and your post have piqued my interest again.  :)

I've read that this ensemble did not play these works with real commitment or something like that. Not sure about it, but I did not find these performances bad at all.

vandermolen

Earlier this evening:
Honegger Symphony 4, L'ORTF Munch - a fabulous performance even more moving than Ansermet's poetic interpretation. Munch takes the slower music more slowly, which invests it with more gravity. I would not be without either performance of this underrated symphony. 'Metaboles' by Dutilleux is an ideal coupling for Honegger. A great disc:

Now playing:
Bax Symphony No.7 LPO Leppard - the greatest performance IMO of this fine work:

I have the Lyrita CD but much prefer the LP cover from the American release.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 18, 2019, 10:48:39 AM
It's a shame because that orchestra is pretty good. And to make you more jealous, I've also heard his Oboe Concerto and Concerto for string quartet and orchestra live.  ;)

Lucky you yet again! ;) :D

Thread duty -

Dvořák
Piano Concerto in G minor, Op. 33
Martinů
Piano Concerto No. 4, 'Incantation', H 358
Ivo Kahánek, piano
Jakub Hrůša, conductor
Bamberger Symphoniker

Mandryka

I'm only listening to the last few pieces of the mass, the second CD. Quite extraordinary, and special. Monumental Aus Tiefer Not Schrei. . .  Amazing sound take.

What comes across is a sort of feeling of accuracy, and a great dancing quality.

She was a student of Xavier Darasse and I can hear a connection - kaleidoscopic colours. But without the weightiness of symphonic approaches to organ à la Tuinstra. 
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

André

I will listen to 9 short orchestral works by Valein later tonight. It was nice reacquainting myself with the symphonies after a few years. IIRC the short works were more to my liking.

Suite no 3 was destroyed in the fire that consumed his house in 1970, along with about 80% of his compositional output. So we have these suites to fall back on. Recognizably from the composer's pen, and yet each suite has a specific atmosphere: Mountain Songs, Troll Tunes, Wedding Suite, etc. He also composed fine large-scale orchestral works and some concertos. I yet have to find a Tveitt work I don't enjoy.

aligreto

Schubert: Symphony No. 5 [Bohm]

This is a robust presentation which retains all of the lyricism of this charming work.

staxomega

First two Beethoven Op. 59 string quartets played by the Budapest String Quartet (earlier mono cycle).

aligreto

Quote from: André on October 18, 2019, 01:03:01 PM

Suite no 3 was destroyed in the fire that consumed his house in 1970, along with about 80% of his compositional output. So we have these suites to fall back on. Recognizably from the composer's pen, and yet each suite has a specific atmosphere: Mountain Songs, Troll Tunes, Wedding Suite, etc. He also composed fine large-scale orchestral works and some concertos. I yet have to find a Tveitt work I don't enjoy.

I am very interested in those two CDs André as I own and enjoy the following CD....

Mirror Image

Debussy
String Quartet in G minor, Op. 10
Quatuor Debussy

SimonNZ

SymphonicAddict

Now I'm listening to Foerster's Cyrano de Bergerac Suite as recommended by Irons. I like what I'm hearing. Pure Czech late-Romanticism, solidly inspired music. Perhaps it doesn't have striking melodies but its development is attractive, so is the orchestral colour and that's fine for me.

Edit: Stupendous work, exceeded my expectations. Thanks Irons for alerting me of it.

Mirror Image

Martinů
String Sextet, H 224
Kocian Quartet

A turbulent work that never fails to engage this listener. This work can be looked at as the leaner, and perhaps meaner little brother to the Double Concerto for Two String Orchestras, Piano, and Timpani.

SimonNZ

SimonNZ

I'm finding the juxtaposition of these poses quite interesting