Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 347407 times)

Offline T. D.

Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #17480 on: May 23, 2020, 08:18:27 AM »

Online vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #17481 on: May 23, 2020, 08:27:39 AM »
A great performance and beautifully recorded and presented. In a way Dausgaard's performance sounds more 'classical' than many and more integrated. Quite different from any other version I have heard and I'm delighted to have this interpretation.
My grateful thanks to John/MI:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Online vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #17482 on: May 23, 2020, 08:29:48 AM »
Glazunov wrote some fantastic music, IMHO, Jeffrey. Good to see you’re a fan, too. Oh and I own that Truscott disc. I might have to dig that one out and give it a spin given the high marks you give it.
I'd be interested to know what you think John.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #17483 on: May 23, 2020, 09:08:03 AM »
How is this box set, Dave? Are you finding the performances satisfactory?

Hi John - so far, a consistently excellent set - now listening to Symphony No. 8 (a long and bleak one) on headphones - Sanderling and the Dresden orchestra have performed beautifully throughout from what I've heard to this point.  Sanderling controls the tempi and the dynamics, in particular, in a well controlled manner without heavily laden sound - the instruments are well represented and distinct w/ excellent sonics from the Sony engineers.  Although many prefer to buy Shosty symphonies based on different individual performances, I like 'boxes' for convenience (and I do not consider myself a 'super' discerning listener, just not my skill set) - and I must say that this Sanderling box will serve me well.  Dave :)

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #17484 on: May 23, 2020, 09:32:49 AM »

Dueling Firsts.  Saraste gets rock solid, as good as anyone in the world playing from his band.  Perfectly judged, steady tempi, perfect dynamics, impeccable ensemble, transparency, the whole bit.  It's good, museum grade playing.  Rattle gets playing hardly less accomplished from his band, but he introduces more flexibility, and a greater romantic feel, though one tempered by a man who conducts a lot of 20th Century music.  Advantage Rattle.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Online MusicTurner

« Reply #17485 on: May 23, 2020, 09:45:06 AM »
To my surprise, the Krommer-Kramar clarinet concerto recordings in this box have turned out to be absolutely delightful, in the league of say Weber's, IMHO. The soloists are Tsutsui and Berkes, and it's originally a Naxos recording. I hadn't really noticed my old LPs with some of these works before.

Generally, this 14CD box is really a bargain.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8495875--clarinet-concertos
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 09:46:48 AM by MusicTurner »

Offline Dowder

• Self-employed at my troll farm
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach, Haydn & Mozart, Beethoven, Mendelssohn, Russians, DP and DM
« Reply #17486 on: May 23, 2020, 09:50:19 AM »
”But what is government but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary.”~~James Madison, Federalist 51

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
    Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Weinberg, Myaskovsky, Glazunov, Rachmaninov, Martinů, Dvořák, Sibelius, Nielsen, Tubin, Atterberg, Holmboe, Tveitt, Langgaard, Copland, Barber, W. Schuman, Bernstein, Rouse, Vaughan Williams, Alwyn, Arnold, Walton
« Reply #17487 on: May 23, 2020, 10:29:40 AM »
A great performance and beautifully recorded and presented. In a way Dausgaard's performance sounds more 'classical' than many and more integrated. Quite different from any other version I have heard and I'm delighted to have this interpretation.
My grateful thanks to John/MI:

Pounds the table, Jeffrey! Fantastic! Glad you enjoyed it. 8)
“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
    Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Weinberg, Myaskovsky, Glazunov, Rachmaninov, Martinů, Dvořák, Sibelius, Nielsen, Tubin, Atterberg, Holmboe, Tveitt, Langgaard, Copland, Barber, W. Schuman, Bernstein, Rouse, Vaughan Williams, Alwyn, Arnold, Walton
« Reply #17488 on: May 23, 2020, 10:30:36 AM »
Hi John - so far, a consistently excellent set - now listening to Symphony No. 8 (a long and bleak one) on headphones - Sanderling and the Dresden orchestra have performed beautifully throughout from what I've heard to this point.  Sanderling controls the tempi and the dynamics, in particular, in a well controlled manner without heavily laden sound - the instruments are well represented and distinct w/ excellent sonics from the Sony engineers.  Although many prefer to buy Shosty symphonies based on different individual performances, I like 'boxes' for convenience (and I do not consider myself a 'super' discerning listener, just not my skill set) - and I must say that this Sanderling box will serve me well.  Dave :)

Ah, very cool, Dave. Thanks for your feedback! 8)
“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #17489 on: May 23, 2020, 10:41:59 AM »
Grisey: Talea (Ensemble Court-Circuit) - Outstanding. One of Grisey's masterpieces, done with both passion and precision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpVwUibl6Zc

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #17490 on: May 23, 2020, 10:52:06 AM »
Prokofiev

pianosonatas 7-8 & 9

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #17491 on: May 23, 2020, 11:06:13 AM »
Prokofiev

pianosonatas 7-8 & 9

Very nice, Traverso. I may cue these up later on tonight. How are you liking Ovchinnikov's cycle so far?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 11:09:50 AM by Mirror Image »

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #17492 on: May 23, 2020, 11:20:11 AM »

Disc 4.  Holy crap!  18/6 is basically played as late period Beethoven, and it sounds magnificent.  The interplay of the two violinists is just crazy clear and good.  The slow movement, and the slower sections generally, elevate the playing to the string quartet equivalent of Volodosian greatness.  And that's the weak work on the disc.  Op 127 may be the best I've heard.  They elevate it to levels typically reserved for Op 132.  (Which makes me wonder how great that will be.)  Playing for the ages.

Online vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #17493 on: May 23, 2020, 11:53:35 AM »
Pounds the table, Jeffrey! Fantastic! Glad you enjoyed it. 8)

There is a kind of rhythmic drive about Dausgaard's 'Kullervo' which is quite unique - indeed, a very fine performance.

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #17494 on: May 23, 2020, 11:57:01 AM »
Very nice, Traverso. I may cue these up later on tonight. How are you like Ovchinnikov’s cycle so far?

I like this set very much,it is good to have more than one recording of these beautiful sonatas.This music is so entertaining  with its compelling rhythms and dreamy andantes that Richter has played in such an inimitable way.
Tomorrow I will listen to these sonatas again with Matti Raekallio and Boris Belkin who is another master in these works.It's fun to listen to these various performances Can I make a choise?
I like Boris very much but  wouldn't miss the other recordings.  ;)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #17495 on: May 23, 2020, 01:03:27 PM »
I like this set very much,it is good to have more than one recording of these beautiful sonatas.This music is so entertaining  with its compelling rhythms and dreamy andantes that Richter has played in such an inimitable way.
Tomorrow I will listen to these sonatas again with Matti Raekallio and Boris Belkin who is another master in these works.It's fun to listen to these various performances Can I make a choise?
I like Boris very much but  wouldn't miss the other recordings.  ;)

Very nice, indeed. Good to hear you’re enjoying the Ovchinnikov recordings.

Thread duty -

Again, Glazunov’s 7th but this time with Svetlanov at the helm:

Much better than Serebrier’s performance, IMHO. Svetlanov has the full measure of this music, but this isn’t really meant to be a dismissal of Serebrier, but I’m really digging the more Russian approach of Svetlanov.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 01:10:00 PM by Mirror Image »

Online SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #17496 on: May 23, 2020, 01:34:40 PM »
Grisey: Talea (Ensemble Court-Circuit) - Outstanding. One of Grisey's masterpieces, done with both passion and precision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpVwUibl6Zc

--Bruce

Listening to that now

Thanks for the link.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #17497 on: May 23, 2020, 01:51:34 PM »

Disc one.  Very well played.  Comparatively light, delicate, and elegant. 

Online SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #17498 on: May 23, 2020, 02:23:53 PM »

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #17499 on: May 23, 2020, 02:26:06 PM »
Piano improv to film by our own weirdears (Chris Forbes)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MGlIxmHFAGY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MGlIxmHFAGY</a>
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot