What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Shostakovich, Cello Concerto No.1

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Papy Oli

Good morning all,

John Ireland to start the day.

Olivier

Que

Another recent purchase, trying to catch up with Naïve's Vivaldi Edition:

Violin concertos Vivaldi worte during his stay in Bohemia 1730-31.

Q

Biffo

Bridge: String Quartet No 3 - Maggini Quartet - one to come back to, a bit of a tough nut to crack

Traverso

Prokofiev

CD 3

pianosonate 8 & 9

Undersea

NP:

[asin]B000000AQ2[/asin]

Vaughan Williams: Symphony #7, "Sinfonia Antartica"

Bryden Thomson: London Symphony Orchestra

Biffo

Berg: Lyric Suite for String Quartet - LaSalle Quartet

Harry

Lusatia Superior. CD I from V.
Musik im Oberlausitzer Sechsstädtebund.
From the Cities: Kamenz, Bautzen, Löbau, Zittau, Görlitz, und Lauban.,
Sächsische Musiklandschaften im 16th & 17th Jahrhundert.

Composers:
Christian Ludwig Boxberg, Adam Puschmann, Johann Pezelius, Conrad Pistorius, Erhard Titius, Andreas Kadner, Johann Krieger, Johann Knöffel, Andreas Hammerschmidt.

Performed by:
Ensemble " Alte-Musik Dresden" .
Bläser Collegium Leipzig, under the direction of Ludger Remy.

As is well known on GMG I like these performances very much. Composers are for the most part unknown, but great quality in their compositions, The singing is uniformly good, with excellent solo contributions. Raumklang made a top notch recording, so there is nothing to fault here. Booklet is also an example how it should be done. So what is stopping you?

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 23, 2020, 04:04:50 PM
WCRB rebroadcasting a BSO concert including the Nielsen Fifth Sibelius' Pohjola's Daughter & Truls Mørk playing the Elgar vc concertohttps://www.classicalwcrb.org/#stream/0
Karl,

What program and time is/was that concert?  And if past the time of the initial rebroadcasting, can one listen to it again?

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on May 23, 2020, 09:50:48 PM
One of my favourite Alwyn discs. 'Autumn Legend' has been described as an English 'Swan of Tuonela'.
I recall hearing a snippet of AL on I think a BBC MM or Gramophone disc and was intrigued by it.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

Disc 5.  Op 18/2 is not quite as rarified as 18/6.  It is, however, more energetic and spunkier, with the ensemble playing with ensemble precision I can't recall being bettered.  Op 95 makes for a logical next work.  The opening movement is more refined, more rarified, yet kicks ass.  The Allegretto ma non troppo achieves late LvB goodness, with the low strings, and especially the violist, delivering some knockout playing.  The serioso movement is serious, indeed, and while fast, it's not rushed, and the control adds depth, and in the final movement the playing makes the work sound like a proper late work, in much the same way that a truly great performance of Op 90 achieves the same result.  The disc closes with a Harp recording that predictably, by this point, hits all the right notes.  The opening movement soars, and I swear, one could say it sounds inspirational.  The rest of the work alternates between vigorous and elevated fast playing and transcendent slower playing.

I'm calling it now: a purchase of the year.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

vers la flamme

Felix Mendelssohn: Rondo capriccioso, op.14; Piano Concerto No.2 in D minor, op.40.  Jean-Yves Thibaudet, Herbert Blomstedt, Gewandhausorchester Leipzig

Love the Mendelssohn PCs.

Traverso

Chopin

Préludes  Nikita Magaloff

JBS

Quote from: Que on May 24, 2020, 02:05:02 AM
Another recent purchase, trying to catch up with Naïve's Vivaldi Edition:

Violin concertos Vivaldi worte during his stay in Bohemia 1730-31.

Q

Do you know they've issued two more volumes of violin concerti since that one?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 23, 2020, 09:50:48 PM
One of my favourite Alwyn discs. 'Autumn Legend' has been described as an English 'Swan of Tuonela'.

A lovely recording, indeed. Every work was incredibly enjoyable. It had been many years since I've listened to any of this music.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Undersea on May 24, 2020, 03:00:13 AM
NP:

[asin]B000000AQ2[/asin]

Vaughan Williams: Symphony #7, "Sinfonia Antartica"

Bryden Thomson: London Symphony Orchestra

Lovely! Thomson was one of great RVW conductors.

Mirror Image

Piano Sonata No. 7 in B-flat, Op. 83 from this set:

Mahlerian

Schoenberg: String Quartet No. 2 in F# minor, Op. 10
Quatuor Diotima, Sandrine Piau
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Mirror Image

Now playing the 5th from this set:

Harry

Civitas Lipsiarum. CD II from V.
Early music from the Ancient Leipzig.

Composers on this disc:

Seth Calvisius, Jacob Weckmann, Johann Schelle, Johann Hermann Schein,  Johann Rosenmüller, Tobias Michael, Werner Fabricius, Sebastian Knüpfer, Heinrich Isaac.

Performed by: Ensemble Alte Musik Dresden, Norbert Schuster.

Excellent performances, fine compositions, and very good sound.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."