What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian, foxandpeng, Linz (+ 1 Hidden) and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.

JBS

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 25, 2020, 07:48:59 AM
+1 - also own Fröst in the other two recordings added above.  Dave :)

Frost has a new CD of music by Vivaldi transcribed/arranged for clarinet.

TD
[asin]B01E6B1F9S[/asin]
Been going through this set, now up to CD 11, which leads off with an "improvisation " on Strauss's Blue Danube waltz, continues with two sets of "klavierstucke" and ends with "Maria Weigenlied".

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

SonicMan46

Strauss, Richard - Horn & Chamber Works from the discs below - been listening to his more notable orchestral music last night and this morning - now onto some of his other compositions - Dave :)

Maestro267

Glazunov: Symphony No. 5
Russian State SO/Polyansky

Arnold: Symphony No. 7
NSO Ireland/Penny

71 dB

Corigliano: Music for Violin & Piano-  Ida Bieler / Nina Tichman - Naxos 8.559306

This one arrived today. I am new to Corigliano and this is my first disc of his music. I like this a lot. Americans really show their intellectual side when it comes to small scale chamber music like this. I like the inner peace and calm nature, but the music is also edgy enough to keep up the interest. Great balance in that sense.  :)

I also have a Naxos disc of Piano Trios by Schifrin, Schuller and Shapiro and I love it!  0:)

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

JBS

Decided to go through Egarr's series of Handel on Harmonia Mundi by opus number order
So this afternoon

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Traverso

Handel

I just wanted to liten to this beautiful sonata in F for recorder HWV 369

Traverso

Quote from: JBS on May 25, 2020, 12:01:41 PM
Decided to go through Egarr's series of Handel on Harmonia Mundi by opus number order
So this afternoon

That's a coincidence my friend  :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Madiel on May 24, 2020, 09:23:37 PM
A fine combination given that Holmboe loved Haydn.

Although, of course, it cannot literally be true, part of me wants to say that any composer worth his salt would love Haydn.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Philoctetes on May 25, 2020, 08:00:04 AM
Would not recommend, unless you are a fan of watered-down Chopin/Debussy:

Thanks for taking one for the team!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vers la flamme

Johannes Brahms: Piano Quartet No.1 in G minor, op.25. Emil Gilels, Amadeus Quartet (minus one violin)

As much as I have grown to love Brahms over the past year, the piano quartets are kind of a blind spot for me, so this is essentially unfamiliar territory for me. Very much enjoying it so far; I'm in a strongly receptive phase for Brahms's chamber music. The Amadeus Quartet sound is really growing on me, it's very bright, kind of shrill, but with a very fluid, "creamy" ensemble sound. As for Gilels, he is definitely one of the greatest Brahmsian pianists and his presence here is much appreciated.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Philoctetes on May 25, 2020, 08:00:04 AM
Would not recommend, unless you are a fan of watered-down Chopin/Debussy:

I found the Scherbakov recording on Naxos better in some of that repertoire.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 25, 2020, 11:54:25 AM
This fabulous disc:

I agree - a great disc.

Playing now.
Erik Chisholm: Symphony No.2 'Ossian' (1939)
A fine, atmospheric and memorable  symphony IMO.
Not unlike Bantock in places:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Daverz

CPE Bach

https://open.qobuz.com/album/thkh537tikmca

The strings are very aggressively HIP in the opening of the Wq. 183 symphony, but otherwise I like everything else about the playing.

Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 4 - Paris Conservatory Orchestra, Albert Wolff

[asin] B084YCLVYS[/asin]

Wonderful vintage stereo recording with this great French orchestra.

Karl Henning

Berlioz
Symphonie fantastique
Constantin Silvestri
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 25, 2020, 12:53:48 PM
I agree - a great disc.

It sure is, Jeffrey.

Now playing:

One of the more underrated Soviet composers. He could be seen as a direct descendant of Shostakovich or Prokofiev, but, quite honestly, he developed his own unique language. I remember the first-time I heard this composer I thought "There's another Tchaikovsky?" and I heard the work Sebastopol Symphony and feel in love with the work. I've been a pretty big fan ever since.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 25, 2020, 01:20:17 PM
It sure is, Jeffrey.

Now playing:

One of the more underrated Soviet composers. He could be seen as a direct descendant of Shostakovich or Prokofiev, but, quite honestly, he developed his own unique language. I remember the first-time I heard this composer I thought "There's another Tchaikovsky?" and I heard the work Sebastopol Symphony and feel in love with the work. I've been a pretty big fan ever since.
Interesting looking CD John. What's 'Signs of the Zodiac' like?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Todd

The Eroica.  Meticulously well executed, but lacks a spark. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 25, 2020, 01:20:17 PM
It sure is, Jeffrey.

Now playing:

Thoroughly agree with this. The Chamber Symphony has some piquant writing. IIRC a harpsichord appears there and it gives a great effect to the music. The Clarinet Concerto is good fun. The other works are unknown to me.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky