What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahler10th and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

vers la flamme

Pierre Boulez: Eclat, Multiples. Pierre Boulez, Ensemble Intercontemporain

Symphonic Addict

Petr Eben - String Quartet, Piano Trio and Piano Quintet

A first listen to anything by the Czech composer Petr Eben. Anyone who responds to, say, Bartók or Bacewicz's SQs, might have a good reason to hear this music. Seriously good stuff.

The whole ballet. Alfvén at his most tuneful and folksy. It could be considered his masterpiece.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

André

Quote from: Brian on June 08, 2020, 01:55:36 PM
What is the background on that picture? A grill pan? A truck bed?  ;D

I'd go for the grill pan, which supposes that the works or performances sizzle.

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 08, 2020, 03:09:02 PM
Indeed, Jeffrey. I enjoyed it very much, especially the doomed-processional ending.

BTW, I like your new look. Nice new avatar!
Thank you Cesar! Yes, that end section of 'Curse of the Werewolf' is quite something I must say.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 08, 2020, 03:32:27 PM

A first listen to anything by the Czech composer Petr Eben. Anyone who responds to, say, Bartók or Bacewicz, might have a good reason to hear this music. Seriously good stuff.

The whole ballet. Alfvén at his most tuneful and folksy. It could be considered his masterpiece.

Nice selections, Cesar. 8)

NP:

The Violin Sonata, Op. 134

Plumbing the recesses of the mind, this is certainly a late Shostakovich masterpiece, IMHO.

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 08, 2020, 03:32:27 PM

A first listen to anything by the Czech composer Petr Eben. Anyone who responds to, say, Bartók or Bacewicz, might have a good reason to hear this music. Seriously good stuff.

Interesting, Cesar; I don't know any of Eben's music. And yes, Bergakungen is phenomenal! One of my favorite ballet scores by anyone, and easily one of my preferred Alfvén works along with the 3rd (especially) and 4th symphonies.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: MusicTurner on June 08, 2020, 11:11:44 AM
Well, they are the most well-known, due to early LP versions of nos. 7, 8 and 10, the 10th got a Swedish LP release, and the 8th even got one on Turnabout.

The 7th or 8th were often regarded as the best some decades ago; my big, old Larousse classical music encyclopedia (ed. N. Dufourcq, Danish translation 1965 but written by many international experts, in two very large and comprehensive volumes) highlights the 7th especially, as "a masterpiece". It also recommends nos. 3, 5, 6, 8 and 9.

Point taken. We'll say they're "famous" to diehard listeners like ourselves, if not to the general concert-going public. ;)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on June 08, 2020, 02:31:14 PM
Last listen before bedtime.
Otar Taktakishvili (Georgian 1924-1989)
Symphony No.2

Here's a review:
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2011/Mar11/taktakishvili_rdcd00768.htm

Very nice, Jeffrey. What did you think? I recall enjoying Taktakishvili's (such a fun name to say!) 1st PC on this disc:

[asin]B00005B6C0[/asin]

Mahlerian

Quote from: JBS on June 08, 2020, 01:48:29 PM
From the From box
Ben Weber
Fantasia (Variations) for piano Opus 25
Concertino for Flute, Oboe, Clarinet and String Quartet Opus 45
Serenade for Strings Opus 46

William Masselos piano
Galimir String Quartet
Julius Baker flute
Harry Shulman oboe
Alexander Williams clarinet

Once again, some works by a composer unknown to me which seem to have never been recorded by anyone else.  Which is outrageous, I think. They are on the borderline of atonal/tonal, and nice to listen to.

Straus did a brief analysis of a short piece by Ben Weber in his Twelve-Tone Music in America, which takes on a very broad range of musical styles and approaches to demonstrate the vitality of the idea (far beyond the "traditional" method). The analyses of composers whom I knew almost nothing about like Weber, Ursula Mamlok, and Roque Cordero made it a really interesting read, more than the polemic half in which he argues against received academic wisdom (which I already agreed with anyway).
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on June 08, 2020, 04:36:22 PM
Very nice, Jeffrey. What did you think? I recall enjoying Taktakishvili's (such a fun name to say!) 1st PC on this disc:

[asin]B00005B6C0[/asin]

Talking of that Taktakishvili is terribly trying tongue twister. :P

Mahlerian

Earlier listening:

Hosokawa: String Quartets
Quatuor Diotima, Mayumi Miyata

The Quatuor Diotima bring out the subtly inflected narratives of these works. I'd heard a few of them played by other groups, but as with their Schoenberg, Berg, and Webern quartets, the Diotimas have an attention to detail and an understated sound that makes them ideal for making the most difficult contemporary music sound as fluent as a repertory piece. Mayumi Miyata, who accompanies the group on Landscape V on shou, is excellent as always.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

T. D.

Listened carefully again to the whole Weinberg SQ set. It's really excellent!
Now listening to some of the "middle" quartets from

Trying to decide whether to get a "modern" Beethoven cycle, probably the Ébène. I'm a scattershot collector, more likely to try something new than to go for multiple recordings of works. And I already have this Budapest and the Vegh/Valois.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

Continuing on with Myaskovsky's symphonies: the 4th

Daverz

Bliss: Colour Symphony, the composer conducting the LSO in 1955, via Qobuz

[asin] B087XPD4G5[/asin]

https://open.qobuz.com/album/n23olf2cvw9ba

Very good mono sound.  The performance is quite exuberant.

SonicMan46

Robert De Visée (c. 1655-1732/3) -  mainly w/ Hopkinson Smith and others shown below - a relaxing afternoon plus dinner music -  Dave :)

bhodges

Quote from: Mahlerian on June 08, 2020, 04:49:23 PM
Earlier listening:

Hosokawa: String Quartets
Quatuor Diotima, Mayumi Miyata

The Quatuor Diotima bring out the subtly inflected narratives of these works. I'd heard a few of them played by other groups, but as with their Schoenberg, Berg, and Webern quartets, the Diotimas have an attention to detail and an understated sound that makes them ideal for making the most difficult contemporary music sound as fluent as a repertory piece. Mayumi Miyata, who accompanies the group on Landscape V on shou, is excellent as always.

Such a beautiful recording. I acquired it after hearing them do one of these live in concert. (Can't recall which one at the moment.) Though the group's mastery of everything was evident, the Hosokawa won the day.

--Bruce

Mirror Image

Concerto for Orchestra No. 4 'Khorovody'

Madiel

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 08, 2020, 05:02:28 AM
Vagn Holmboe - Symphony No.5.

Oh this is good :o

Among the earlier symphonies I think 2 and 5 are outstanding.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!