What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherSpin, Pohjolas Daughter and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

Karl Henning

Birthday boy!

The Chaconne

[asin]B00U2OT1MC[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 09, 2020, 04:47:36 AM
Birthday boy!

The Chaconne

[asin]B00U2OT1MC[/asin]

Oh right. I don't really do birthdays and death days and all that, but I do have both that set and Koppel's recordings on Da Capo, and I've been meaning to do a comparison at some point.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Papy Oli

Resuming Holmboe back from the 6th with more focus than yesterday.

For now, the first mvt make this one go into the "unsure" category with the 4th.

Olivier

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

vandermolen

Quote from: pjme on June 09, 2020, 02:49:02 AM

Symphony nr. 3 "The muses" - with wordless chorus in the last movement "Terpsichore" (incl. windmachine, organ, piano, xylophone...).  A 1937 extravaganza.
Neptune was my favourite on that CD as well and was one of the highlights of that Chandos series.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: pjme on June 09, 2020, 03:05:28 AM
I love those songcycles by Taktakishvili. For me, they open up an unknown (= Georgian) world full of fantasy, love and sadness. The colour of the voices may surprise...
Hamlet Gonashvili (who sings on the Taktakishvili cd) is superb! And so is Zurab Sotkilava.
https://www.youtube.com/v/-2QPNRY39aY
https://www.youtube.com/v/6Ca4UeBsaKM
Right, I'll have to let the CD play on after the Symphony in that case.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Madiel

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 09, 2020, 05:27:32 AM
Resuming Holmboe back from the 6th with more focus than yesterday.

For now, the first mvt make this one go into the "unsure" category with the 4th.

I love the first movement. But the 6th definitely represents the beginning of a stylistic change.

You commented (yesterday?) about expecting Holmboe to be more dissonant. There is definitely an evolution of his style over time, but how much it's apparent depends a lot on what music you are listening to. The only symphony that comes from his most 'advanced' stage is the 9th.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Biffo

Beethoven:  Symphony No 4 in B flat major - Pittsburgh Symphony No 4 conducted by William Steinberg - fine, lively performance

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on June 09, 2020, 05:47:52 AM
I love the first movement. But the 6th definitely represents the beginning of a stylistic change.

You commented (yesterday?) about expecting Holmboe to be more dissonant. There is definitely an evolution of his style over time, but how much it's apparent depends a lot on what music you are listening to. The only symphony that comes from his most 'advanced' stage is the 9th.

Interesting. I am onto his 7th now and the adagio represents the general difficulty and block I had for a long time with Vaughan Williams' symphonies, that constant zig-zaging, feeling wrong footed, almost a sea sickness. Over time, I have cracked that nut with RVW and now enjoy his symphonies immensely (bar the "Sea" symphony).

At least, I can listen to that 7th's adagio now but I wouldn't say I enjoy it. I guess my dissonance threshold is still there or thereabout for now. I'll see how i get on with the rest of the cycle in any case.

edit: just to add to the confusion, I have actually just pressed replay on the 7th's Presto  ;D  0:)
Olivier

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 08, 2020, 10:50:06 PM
Lovely cover image. What's the Viola Concerto like John? I especially like his Second and Third symphonies.

I'd say if you liked the Violin Concerto, 'Distant Light' or Vientuļais eņģelis (Lonely Angel), then you would definitely like the Viola Concerto. There is some folkiness in the second movement that I found quite appealing. The ending movement Adagio is so gorgeous. You'll definitely enjoy it, Jeffrey.

steve ridgway

Sergeant Rock

Rachmaninoff Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, Hough, Litton, Dallas

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Florestan

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 09, 2020, 06:17:12 AM

Sarge

Is it the best performance ever (of the PCs as well) as some reviewers, including critics, rave?
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Todd

From the big box. It's nice to hear a young Beethoven work out some ideas he incorporated (not much) later in other works. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 09, 2020, 06:14:39 AM
I'd say if you liked the Violin Concerto, 'Distant Light' or Vientuļais eņģelis (Lonely Angel), then you would definitely like the Viola Concerto. There is some folkiness in the second movement that I found quite appealing. The ending movement Adagio is so gorgeous. You'll definitely enjoy it, Jeffrey.
OK thanks for the feedback John.

Now Playing:
Kabalevsky: Piano Concerto No.1
I probably play this more often than any other work by Kabalevsky. In places it is tuneful and high spirited but the slow movement, in particular, has some moments of troubled depth. I rate this PC very highly alongside the Cello Concerto No.2, the First and Fourth Symphony and the Cello Sonata as my favourite works by Kabalevsky:

steve ridgway

Quote from: steve ridgway on June 09, 2020, 06:16:07 AM
Xenakis: Anaktoria.

And now Oophaa for harpsichord and percussion - a massive contrast.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on June 09, 2020, 06:22:36 AM
Is it the best performance ever (of the PCs as well) as some reviewers, including critics, rave?

You didn't ask me, Andrei, but I would say 'no'. My favorite cycle is probably Andsnes/Pappano from several years back. Such dynamic performances and they may not be the most 'Russian', but they do offer some rather thrilling playing.

Quote from: vandermolen on June 09, 2020, 06:29:12 AM
OK thanks for the feedback John.

Now Playing:
Kabalevsky: Piano Concerto No.1
I probably play this more often than any other work by Kabalevsky. In places it is tuneful and high spirited but the slow movement, in particular, has some moments of troubled depth. I rate this PC very highly alongside the Cello Concerto No.2, the First and Fourth Symphony and the Cello Sonata as my favourite works by Kabalevsky:

My pleasure, Jeffrey. I've got that Kabalevsky recording, but I usually play the PCs on CPO with Korstick/Francis. Do you like that cycle?

Sergeant Rock

Holmboe Symphony No 8 "Sinfonia boreale" 1951

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 09, 2020, 06:17:12 AM

Sarge

Good choice, sir!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Papy Oli

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 09, 2020, 06:46:57 AM
Holmboe Symphony No 8 "Sinfonia boreale" 1951

Sarge

As the next in the cycle, ditto.  :)
Olivier