What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 09, 2020, 07:28:50 AM
I've only heard the 8th and 9th but I like what I've heard and will explore the rest at some point. Re-listening to the 9th just now.

Sarge

I'm in!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on June 08, 2020, 10:46:19 PM
I liked the Symphony No.2 Kyle and listened to it twice in a row which meant that I was too late going to bed! Yes, his name is fun. I've had the CD for ages and came across it yesterday while doing a CD sort out for charity shops (when they re-open). Taktakishvili will not be going to a charity shop. It should probably appeal to admirers of Shostakovich and Eshpai but his style is not derivative. What's the Piano Concerto like?

PS Listening to it again now. On second thoughts the music is closer to that of Khachaturian than to Shostakovich, which would make more geographical sense as well. It's 'epic/heroic' in feel. I note that it comes from 1953, the year of the death of Stalin, a fellow Georgian, but I have no idea if this impacted on the symphony.

Thanks, Jeffrey; it sounds right up my street! The Piano Concerto could be crudely described as a "more exotic Rachmaninoff" though that's not to imply that it's derivative. The slow movement is particularly lovely.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mahlerian

Quote from: Brewski on June 08, 2020, 07:30:06 PM
Such a beautiful recording. I acquired it after hearing them do one of these live in concert. (Can't recall which one at the moment.) Though the group's mastery of everything was evident, the Hosokawa won the day.

--Bruce

Can you recall what other composers/works were on the program?

I'm working on a set of piano pieces right now, and although my normal influences are most prominent, Hosokawa's careful attention to timbre and the growth of sounds into ideas is doubtless affecting my process.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Mirror Image

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 09, 2020, 09:33:54 AM
The 4th:

Pounds the table! Great stuff, John. It's a shame Neschling didn't record more of Santoro's music... :(
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on June 09, 2020, 09:40:11 AM
Pounds the table! Great stuff, John. It's a shame Neschling didn't record more of Santoro's music... :(

It sure is, Kyle. At the very least, I'm glad we have this recording for our listening pleasure. I wish Neschling would get back into recording Brazilian music. It seems once he left São Paulo that was it, which is rather unfortunate.

On a somewhat related note, I wish some enterprising label would record the Chávez symphonies. These symphonies are WAY overdo for a modern facelift. I hope Prieto or Dudamel is reading this! ;) Alondra de la Parra wouldn't be bad in these symphonies either or Gisele Ben-Dor.

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 09, 2020, 07:23:26 AM
His 1st Symphony is fantastic as well, Jeffrey.
Good to know. Thanks Cesar.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 09, 2020, 07:29:41 AM
In terms of Shchedrin's orchestral music, the Concertos for Orchestra are all excellent and I rather enjoyed all of the PCs and the violin concerto, Concerto Cantabile. I'd say his best ballets are The Little Humpbacked Horse and Anna Karenina. I found The Seagull to be rather severe and unwavering in its dark defiance. Shchedrin is a rather uneven composer but I think he has composed some excellent works.

From his ballets I've only heard the suite from Anna Karenina and I thought it was shockingly good. Speaking of severe, his Cello Concerto Sotto Voce has much of that and leaves a strong impression. Have you heard it?
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

pjme

Quote from: vandermolen on June 09, 2020, 05:40:31 AM
Right, I'll have to let the CD play on after the Symphony in that case.

That's the spirit!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 09, 2020, 11:01:34 AM
From his ballets I've only heard the suite from Anna Karenina and I thought it was shockingly good. Speaking of severe, his Cello Concerto Sotto Voce has much of that and leaves a strong impression. Have you heard it?

I haven't heard that concerto, Cesar. The complete ballet of Anna Karenina is definitely worth your time. It was reissued a few years ago on Melodiya. You should definitely see if you can't get it or stream it.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

Dipping my ears closely into a new arrival at my house, seemingly the GMG June Record of the Month Club Pick: Quatuor Ebene's new Beethoven cycle. Quartets # 6, 12, 2, 11, and 10.

Symphonic Addict

Bouquet of Flowers

Enchanting music.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 09, 2020, 11:20:19 AM
I haven't heard that concerto, Cesar. The complete ballet of Anna Karenina is definitely worth your time. It was reissued a few years ago on Melodiya. You should definitely see if you can't get it or stream it.

Good to know. Thank you, John.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Moeran: Symphony No. 2 (as realised by Martin Yates)
Something of a patchwork but the real Moeran is in there somewhere - oddly moving.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on June 09, 2020, 12:22:01 PM
Moeran: Symphony No. 2 (as realised by Martin Yates)
Something of a patchwork but the real Moeran is in there somewhere - oddly moving.

What is the orchestration of Sarnia like, Jeffrey? My favourite Ireland piano piece.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Bantock: Celtic Symphony.

Oodles of atmosphere. Something Bantock is good at.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Irons on June 09, 2020, 01:22:15 PM
Bantock: Celtic Symphony.

Oodles of atmosphere. Something Bantock is good at.

Atmosphere, beauty and GREAT tunes. I love this work!

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 09, 2020, 12:16:35 PM

Bouquet of Flowers

Enchanting music.

Indeed it is, but I do urge you to check out the latest recording of it (if you haven't already):