What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Irons on June 09, 2020, 01:22:15 PM
Bantock: Celtic Symphony.

Oodles of atmosphere. Something Bantock is good at.

My favorite Bantock recording. I found the others less interesting, tbh.

Edit: I really should revisit that Bantock Hyperion set. I think there were some other works I enjoyed. That recording with A Celtic Symphony and Hebridean Symphony is top-notch. A tough disc to follow.

Papy Oli

good pick, that  8)
Olivier

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 09, 2020, 01:44:13 PM
Indeed it is, but I do urge you to check out the latest recording of it (if you haven't already):

I have both CDs, John. The most recent CD of it sounds a bit more polished overall IIRC.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Violin Concerto and Piano Concerto No. 3 Concerto estivo by Kenneth Leighton:

These works show how troubled Leighton was. Moving and stern pieces. I was particularly struck by the 2nd movement from the PC. Very deep. I came to think the VC has a similar mood to that on Tubin's last symphonies (8-10).

Both works exceeded my expectations. Recommended.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 09, 2020, 03:11:03 PM
Violin Concerto and Piano Concerto No. 3 Concerto estivo by Kenneth Leighton:

These works show how troubled Leighton was. Moving and stern pieces. I was particularly struck by the 2nd movement from the PC. Very deep. I came to think the VC has a similar mood to that on Tubin's last symphonies (8-10).

These works exceeded my expectations. Recommended.

Indeed, Leighton's music has a lot of substance to it and leaves a powerful impression. His symphonies, particularly no. 1, are even better! There are times when his music rises to Shostakovichian intensity, but there also moments of quintessentially English lyricism and humanity.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on June 09, 2020, 03:15:51 PM
Indeed, Leighton's music has a lot of substance to it and leaves a powerful impression. His symphonies, particularly no. 1, are even better! There are times when his music rises to Shostakovichian intensity, but there also moments of quintessentially English lyricism and humanity.

Yes, I remember hearing that Shostakovichian feature first in his Cello Concerto. The symphonies have interesting music too, but right now I don't have strong memories of them.

Noam Chomsky

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 09, 2020, 03:02:07 PM
I have both CDs, John. The most recent CD of it sounds a bit more polished overall IIRC.

Yeah, it seems the recent recording is just better rehearsed and, of course, the sound is much better. But I suppose we should be thankful that it has been recorded at all.

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 09, 2020, 03:26:30 PM
Yes, I remember hearing that Shostakovichian feature first in his Cello Concerto. The symphonies have interesting music too, but right now I don't have strong memories of them.

His 1st Symphony is a masterwork IMO; the second movement in particular has a sense of searing, visceral intensity truly worthy of Shostakovich. The vocal 3rd Symphony is very good as well; with its more lyrical language I was reminded of something Finzi would've written had he lived at least 10 years longer. I don't know the 2nd.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

T. D.

Discs 1-3, Two Pieces for SQ + SQ #1-9.

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

Karl Henning

Quote from: Madiel on June 09, 2020, 04:51:29 AM
Oh right. I don't really do birthdays and death days and all that, but I do have both that set and Koppel's recordings on Da Capo, and I've been meaning to do a comparison at some point.

Will be interested in your thoughts.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Les Fresques de Piero Della Francesca and The Parables from this recording:

JBS

I would be inclined to recommend this CD if not for the fact that it's only 46 minutes long.
[asin]B0863RS1DY[/asin]
Works performed
Suite in a minor BWV 996
Partita  in c minor BWV 997
Prelude Fugue and Allegro in E Flat major BWV 998

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

That's a terrific, life-affirming work. Christo is a fan as well.

Now playing
Falla Nights in the Gardens of Spain (New SO, Enrique Jorda, 1951 - a very poetic account)
I like this particular disc as the Falla is immediately followed by Alan Rawsthorne's Piano Concerto No.2, another of my favourites (LSO/Sargent, 1951)
[/img]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 09, 2020, 07:24:35 AM
My favorite Holmboe symphony.
+1 and the first one I knew (Vox/Turnabout LP)
7 and 10 are my other favourites, although I like them all.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on June 09, 2020, 01:15:21 PM
What is the orchestration of Sarnia like, Jeffrey? My favourite Ireland piano piece.

I'll have another listen Lol. I was focusing more on the Moeran but it sounded fine and characteristically 'Ireland' to me.

vandermolen

My favourite Bantock disc. I was lucky to see the Celtic Symphony live at the Proms (all those harps!!)