What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry, Mandryka, GioCar and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

SymphonicAddict

This opera contains some of the finest orchestral writing before his most important symphonies. I imagined it much more solemn given the Biblical thematics, but how wrong I was, this is just resplendent, uplifting, entertaining, apotheosic, imposing, awe-inspiring. The vocal and choral parts are superb too. A tentative favorite opera.

Karl Henning

Quote from: North Star on October 22, 2019, 09:33:27 AM
Listening to the Kamu recording of Symphony No. 4, as well.

Delicious!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 22, 2019, 09:37:40 AM

This opera contains some of the finest orchestral writing before his most important symphonies. I imagined it much more solemn given the Biblical thematics, but how wrong I was, this is just resplendent, uplifting, entertaining, apotheosic, imposing, awe-inspiring. The vocal and choral parts are superb too. A tentative favorite opera.

Cool!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

kyjo

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 21, 2019, 02:23:04 PM

String quartets 3-8

I'm very amazed by these incredibly endearing works. I like very much his harmonic language on this part of his oeuvre. All of them are imbued with intimacy, warmth, rustic airs, wit and tolerable dissonances which give them that special touch. All is quite finely written. Thus far I haven't listened to any dull quartet. Where had these quartets been all my life?

These are not ordinary symphonies. In fact, there is a lot to enjoy here. Both works possess an important rhytmical appeal, dark and relentless atmospheres with a certain feeling of intrigue. Really tremendous pieces. If a slight comparison is valid, the 1st Symphony reminded me of Stravinsky's Symphony in 3 movements. The 2nd one has some Messiaen elements on the percussion and rhythm. Important discoveries for me.

Sounds very intriguing, Cesar! I've yet to explore the Milhaud quartets, and based on your descriptions, it seems like I'd have no reason not to enjoy them!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

North Star

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 22, 2019, 09:38:11 AM
Delicious!
Indeed!

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 22, 2019, 09:37:26 AM
Have not yet reemerged out of the rabbit hole:

Schnittke
Concerto grosso # 1
Gidon Kremer & Tatiana Grindenko, vn
Yuri (non Yakov) Smirnov, hpschd & prepared pf
COE
Heinrich Schiff

Joining in on this too - the Concerti grossi are a bit of a blind spot for me still, have to fix that..
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on October 22, 2019, 08:45:48 AM
Perhaps he was inspired by a certain Canadian pianist  ;D

One hummer is more than enough :D, it looks like sweetening some parts to enhancing the idea of authenticity.
In fact it is a way of saying, "I know better." Monteverdi was an innovator and it is therefore in my opinion unlikely that he would have used these effects. It is an effect that attracts attention but soon loses its luster .
I'm not sitting here with rolling eyes but it not close to my two favorites Parrott and Pickett

Traverso

Chopin

The Préludes    Magaloff

j winter

Some Scarlatti on the piano this afternoon... very relaxing disc this....

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Karl Henning

Quote from: j winter on October 22, 2019, 10:43:12 AM
Some Scarlatti on the piano this afternoon... very relaxing disc this....

Excellent!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

And now, one of my favorite discs:

Schnittke
Pf Concerto (1960)
Concerto for piano & strings (1979)
Concerto for piano (for hands) & chamber orchestra (1988)
Ewa Kupiec
Maria Lettberg
Berlin Radio Symphony
Frank Strobel
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Sergeant Rock

Sibelius Symphony No. 6, Karajan conducting

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: André on October 22, 2019, 07:33:46 AM
My all-time favourite version of the 3rd !  :)

Yeah, I can understand that. A great performance. But I'd still take Ashkenazy's very different interpretation to the fabled desert island.

Sarge

Maestro267

I too find myself in a Schnittke-shaped rabbit hole. First-time listens to Symphony No. 4 and the Requiem yesterday are followed this evening by the Symphony No. 2 ("St. Florian"). Royal Stockholm PO/Segerstam. The symphony is slowly starting to work its magic on me. I must admit I was initially disappointed with it, having come to it after Nos. 1 & 3, which have more going on on the surface. No. 2 requires a different approach.

DaveF

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 22, 2019, 11:28:08 AM

Schnittke

As opposed to the one to be played with elbows, forearms and head? ;D  (I wouldn't put anything past old Alfred.)

I'm very fond of the Postnikova/Rozhdestvensky disc, but that doesn't include the 1960 concerto, so only runs for a miserly 47 minutes.  Must investigate your fave.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Sergeant Rock

Sibelius Symphony No. 4, Szell conducting the Cleveland

Sarge

San Antone

I hardly ever listen to Alfred Schnittke but because of the flurry of activity by several different members, I felt iI would join in.  8)

A 2018 recording of the Sonatas for Cello and Piano, nicely done by Viviane Spanoghe and Jan Michiels

Jamie

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 22, 2019, 11:28:08 AM

Schnittke
Pf Concerto (1960)
Concerto for piano & strings (1979)
Ewa Kupiec
Maria Lettberg
Berlin Radio Symphony
Frank Strobel

Looks interesting. I've liked the little I've heard Ewa Kupiec play so will certainly give this a spin.
TD

aligreto

Mozart: String Quartet No. 19 K.465 "Dissonance" [Quatuor Mosaiques]

This major work is so called due to its somewhat eerie short introduction. Normal lyrical and melodic Mozartian fare is soon restored and we are treated to his normal bright and cheery optimism for the rest of the first movement. The slow movement is gorgeous with some particularly fine cello work. The Minuet is very fine and the Finale is a busy, buoyant movement that is full of optimism. There is some very fine string writing here.

Mandryka

Quote from: "Harry" on October 03, 2019, 12:53:42 AM
New release 2019.

Polish Lute Music.

Albert Dlugoraj, (1558- after 1619)
Diomedes Cato, (1565-1628)
Jakub Polak. (c.1545-1605)

Joachim Held, Lute.

Unfortunately there is no info about the Lute on which he plays, and that irks me! Joachim Held is for most people an unknown name, but I already have several recordings in which he features, and have a high regard for his abilities as a Lute player. Educated by Eugen Dombois and Hopkinson Smith, he is held to be an excellent musician, and so it is. This CD proves that abundantly. Polish Lute Music, by composers totally unknown to me and most, what a treat that is! Held is a sensitive player, who takes his time to unfold the music in a elegant and yet very refined way. He is one of those Lutenists who successfully combines historically informed practice, with a insightful technique. No lavish ornamentation in this music, but fine changes in colour throughout. And that makes his style very approachable. Deeply affectionate performances.
Stephan Reh is the engineer of this CD, and him too I hold in high regard, for this is a State of the Art recording.
Recommended.

Listening to this properly today, I'm inclined to agree with you. Joachim Held here reveals himself to be a very refined lutenist, the music is stimulating and agreeable, the sound is very good indeed.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on October 22, 2019, 09:50:34 AM
One hummer is more than enough :D, it looks like sweetening some parts to enhancing the idea of authenticity.
In fact it is a way of saying, "I know better." Monteverdi was an innovator and it is therefore in my opinion unlikely that he would have used these effects. It is an effect that attracts attention but soon loses its luster .
I'm not sitting here with rolling eyes but it not close to my two favorites Parrott and Pickett

Yes, that is for sure, my friend.