What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Papy Oli

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 23, 2019, 07:40:46 AM
It may not all sing to you, the first time. Good on you for giving it a go!

https://www.youtube.com/v/PU9SjPPY9gM

How can you have such a gorgeous melodic bit in the middle of that second movement twinned with that piccolo and either side, have, well, i don't know what....It's like being on all fours on a paddle board, in the middle of a storm, hungover and on LSD, having to decipher a SAW enigma, while Freddy Krueger riding Jaws is chasing you and in the middle of the chase, a gorgeous enchanting mermaid comes up to you and tells you you're gonna be ok ...if only you had a bigger paddle board....something like that anyway  :laugh: >:D
Olivier

Karl Henning

Quote from: Papy Oli on October 23, 2019, 08:13:57 AM

How can you have such a gorgeous melodic bit in the middle of that second movement twinned with that piccolo and either side, have, well, i don't know what....It's like being on all fours on a paddle board, in the middle of a storm, hungover and on LSD, having to decipher a SAW enigma, while Freddy Krueger riding Jaws is chasing you and in the middle of the chase, a gorgeous enchanting mermaid comes up to you and tells you you're gonna be ok ...if only you had a bigger paddle board....something like that anyway  :laugh: >:D

You've got the idea, mon cher, now you just need to relax into it  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Papy Oli

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 23, 2019, 08:17:53 AM
You've got the idea, mon cher, now you just need to relax into it  8)

*chortle*  :P ;)
Olivier

Papy Oli

for a change of mood   :)

Rameau - Pièces de clavecin en concert (Belder)

[asin]B002JH8INS[/asin]
Olivier

aligreto

Mahler: Symphony No. 8 [Solti]

I like the Solti version of M8 a lot. I like the power and drive in Part I and I also like the fluidity and lyricism of the performance of Part II.

aligreto

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on October 22, 2019, 05:20:51 PM
Bought a mint copy of this German Decca LP set today for $2!

Very nice indeed.

Traverso

Schubert-Mendelssohn-Mozart

Schubert
Rosamunde, D.797
Ouverture, D.644 ( Die Zauberharfe)
Ballet Music No.2
Entr'acte No.3
Entr'acte No.1

Mendelssohn
A Midsummer Night's Dream
Overture Op.21
Scherzo Op.61 No.1
Notturno Op.61 No.7
Wedding March, Op.61 No.9

Mozart
Symphony No.34

aligreto

Swedish Rhapsody:

The following two works from the above album both conducted by Kenneth Montgomery...

Wirén: Serenade for Strings Op. 11
Nielsen: Little Suite for Strings Op. 1

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 23, 2019, 08:10:20 AM
Richly enjoying my re-acquaintance with Schnittke, yet I don't mind saying that I need a break:

Mennin
Pf Concerto (1963)
Jn Ogdon
Royal Phil
Igor Buketoff

I'm lookin' at you, Paul!  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

aligreto

Beethoven: Symphony No. 8 [Steinberg]

This is a very fine, robust and assertive presentation.

SonicMan46

Krommer, Franz (1759-1831) - Clarinet Chamber Works w/ Eduard Brunner & the Amati Quartett - well, Kraus the previous couple of days w/ my Krommer CDs the next one up for a listen - wonderful wind composer and most of my 20 discs or so of his music are for these instruments - may need another few days?  Dave

Papy Oli

Olivier

Papy Oli

Olivier

steve ridgway

I'm glad to see the site is operating at normal speed again 8). After going on archive.org with my Dad at the weekend and downloading him over a Gb of Schubert MP3s I had a look for some new stuff myself, the first one I really liked being Lutoslawski. I've just been playing his 1954 Concerto for Orchestra which was most agreeable, not particularly dissonant but very rhythmic and energetic. A break is needed though before proceeding to the rest of the album.

[asin]B00000DODZ[/asin]

Although I got it from https://archive.org/details/05PolishChamberOrchestraPolishRadioNationalOrchestraWitoldLutosawskiLutosawskiW1

aligreto

Schumann: Symphony No. 1 [Krips]

This a fine enough performance and interpretation and more or less one of its time. I would be a little unhappy with it however mainly due to the fact that I find the speeds a little on the slow side thereby depriving the presentation of some verve, life and buoyancy. That is merely a personal comment for this particular version.

SymphonicAddict

On this occasion the 3rd Symphony, recognized as his most popular, did not enchant me enough. I felt it too quiet.

This recording of the 7th is a huge improvement over the Marco Polo, but even so it's a too overlong piece (nearly as long as Glière's Ilya Murometz), often tedious and out of focus. Granted, there are interesting ideas about the orchestration and some 'eerie' sonorities drawn my attention, but it's not enough I'm afraid.

Symphonie

'Tis one of those times where I remember saying: 'this work is not akin to my tastes, I didn't like it, too hard to grasp'. My perception has changed dramatically. In spite of its dour flavour and the disquieting feeling it conveys, it's an admirable work, fascinating in its enigmatic shape. The use of the orchestral piano and saxophone was outstanding. A great piece that doesn't unveil its secrets easily.

Kontrapunctus

San Antone

aligreto

Schubert: Impromptus D.899 Nos. 1-3 [Giesking]

This seems to be very fine, sensitive playing to me.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Papy Oli on October 23, 2019, 08:13:57 AM

A great, and accurate, description of Schnittke's music  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"