What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498 and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mirror Image

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

This is the Eotvos/Damerini performance of Ausklang -- just found it as a cheap amazon download, the sound is more than listenable.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vandermolen

Quote from: Thom on July 09, 2020, 08:00:14 AM
Harmony of Spheres by Joep Franssens. Extraordinary!

What is the music like Thom?

PS I've found it on You Tube. It is beautiful. The first of the comments under the video is from the composer himself.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

Quote from: amw on July 09, 2020, 12:14:50 AM

I wish more orchestral performances of the Eroica were like this.

An extraordinary performance indeed !

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on July 08, 2020, 10:24:12 PM
They certainly do!  ;D Or, I do anyway.
My favourites are symphonies 1,2,3,4,5,6,7
Piano Quintet
Harp Quintet
Tintagel
Northern Ballad 1
November Woods
Symphonic Variations
Nympholept
Festival Overture
Christmas Eve on the Mountains
The Tale the Pine Trees Knew
Paen

Extraordinary list, Jeffrey!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Florestan on July 09, 2020, 12:01:31 AM
It's not that much a question of "what", but rather of "for how long".  ;D

;D
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Irons on July 09, 2020, 12:52:36 AM
I very much agree as far as the violin sonatas are concerned after investing in the Naxos CD of these works. Good to hear it's not me!

Yes, I'm more fond of the other chamber music.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Thom on July 09, 2020, 08:00:14 AM
Harmony of Spheres by Joep Franssens. Extraordinary!

I've intended to hear this work at some point.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Act I was a bit boring (except the first numbers), whilst acts II and III were more to my liking.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Korngold's Violin Concerto

Gorgeous account of this concerto. Benedetti's tone is to heavenly and the way she shapes each phrase is remarkable. She truly responds to the many turn-of-phrases that also happen. Someone in a review of this particular recording on Amazon's US site was rather unfavorable towards Karabits' conducting, but I hear no such defects and I think he does a good job staying out of the way and only inserting himself when the music calls for it. I wouldn't put this in the front rank of Mutter or Ehnes (my two favorite performances), but it's certainly better than Frang, Shaham and several others I've heard. This whole program is actually rather intelligent featuring works from John Williams, Howard Shore, Shostakovich, Mahler, etc. Of course, the Korngold is the main draw, but I think many listeners would enjoy this recording in its entirety.

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on July 09, 2020, 10:18:46 AM
Bruckner: Symphony No. 7 [von Karajan - EMI]

This wonderful, lyrical yet yearning music is given a powerful performance of great weight and gravitas here. The depth of emotion is palpable. The BPO plays superbly, presenting and delivering the music in the best possible way. Von Karajan controls the pacing, the intensity and the levels of emotion and tension extremely well. I find it to be a superb presentation. The slow movements in particular are quite magnificent.

A fine recording it is, :)

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 09, 2020, 12:56:45 PM
Extraordinary list, Jeffrey!
The Piano Quintet was due to you and Kyle alerting me to it - such a great discovery for me.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 09, 2020, 09:19:08 AM
Nice review job there Karl!  And must have been some feat to get all of those musicians together.

I started wondering how hard it would be to assemble all of the necessary brass for Janacek's Sinfonietta and ran across this:  https://floridaorchestra.org/12-trumpet-players/

PD

Thanks, P.D.!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

The Vermeer Quartet playing LvB
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SimonNZ

Carlo Gesualdo

I just won't you to know what  I would listen entirely tonight, the great , the master, one of these genius of renaissance, red carpet Palestrina on musique d'abord : Missa Viri Magnificat Primi Toni, this is a utter gem from this label direction Philippe Herreweghe, sound good hey , well it is , it is, you should trust me on this!!

A must I gave it 10/10 deprofundis or 10/10+ it's that good, I want to know whom heard it please?

Mirror Image

The 4th:

I always loved the powerful introduction to this symphony. Right from the start, you're catapulted into the action.

Mirror Image

Continuing with Kondrashin's Shostakovich cycle: the 13th

Daverz

Bruch: Symphony No. 3, Adagio

[asin] B086B8FKNS[/asin]

Yes, just the Adagio, which stood out to me while listening casually as particularly lovely, so I wanted to rehear it.

Bax: Symphonic Variations

[asin] B001U1L9RQ[/asin]

I much prefer Ashley Wass here to Margaret Fingerhut on Chandos, both for the playing and the sound of the piano.  The accompaniment is also more exciting, important in such a rambling work.