What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter, Roasted Swan, Peter Power Pop, foxandpeng and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

André

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 10, 2020, 05:04:09 PM
Ah, you must've done it by mistake. There was a [audio][/audio] thingy in your post to me. You must have accidentally put it in there.

Probably. I had no idea I had done it. Whatever that was ! :o

Carlo Gesualdo

My consort music  vinyls on Turnabout labels, both of the, Charles V AND Henry VIII is always a must ear and own, consort music of Burgundy and England was excellent, Paul van Nevel and Mr.Rice would agree...

Respectively music of French Protestan (Hugenots) and kingdom of Burgundy, hailing from spain now  day, whit big name of Franco-Flemish familly, Philip van Wilder((seved in u.k) cult favorite, and on Burgundian side we get Alonso, Victoria, Cabezon?? yep great name, I have a vinyl analog fetish it's sexual , i'm a nerd most essentialy.... LOL  ;D

André

Spectacular singing from Fagioli. What a virtuoso, and what a voice ! The orchestra (PI) is exceptional, too. 

Mirror Image

The Banners of Peace, Op. 143

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on July 10, 2020, 02:13:46 PM
Very interesting Sarge.

+1

One always learns something new every day on this forum.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Daverz on July 10, 2020, 03:20:34 PM
Trying to think who would give you more spirituality.  Perhaps Giulini/Vienna, Jochum/Dresden, Karajan/Berlin (EMI or DG), or Sanderling.

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 10, 2020, 04:19:36 PM
Go with HvK and the Berliners on EMI or DG. You can't go wrong here.

Yes, Karajan/DG is my reference recording and there is a noticeable difference with the Haitink. The slow movement on the Karajan has the depth and expressivity I cherish.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Symphony No. 5

An impressive yet a little slow performance. The 1st movement is superb on this recording: bold, accentuated and imposing.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 10, 2020, 08:20:25 PM

Symphony No. 5

An impressive yet a little slow performance. The 1st movement is superb on this recording: bold, accentuated and imposing.

Interesting. I bought this cycle when it first came out, but I haven't spent hardly enough time with this set. Let me ask you, what do you think about Litton's Prokofiev recordings on BIS?

Madiel

Quote from: Madiel on July 10, 2020, 08:07:25 PM
Last one...

Okay, this is really good. Going on the shopping list I think.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

vandermolen

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 10, 2020, 05:01:50 PM

Ralph Vaughan Williams: Dona Nobis Pacem. Robert Spano, Atlanta Symphony Orchestra & Chorus

This is a real tear-jerker of a work, and one of my favorites from RVW along with the Pastoral Symphony. This is a really committed performance. Surely one of the highlights of Spano's long tenure here in Atlanta, which is coming to a close with the upcoming season. What a lame note to end off on, having to cancel the bulk of two incredible seasons of inspired programming and what was sure to be brilliant performances. Breaks my heart.
I have that CD and it's a nice combination of works although I could have done without another Lark.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 10, 2020, 08:09:47 PM
Sounds right up my street indeed! A sort of Irish late-Romantic funeral march. Thanks, Jeffrey. I enjoyed that piece.
Excellent! Thought you would Cesar  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

amw

Going thru this. I got it for the pianism, which holds up, but the orchestra is also surprisingly good, well balanced interpretively and sonically.

Que

Morning listening - a Spotify discovery:

A double set from 2005 reissuing a recording from 1991, that I never saw before.
A hotchpotch of familiar and unfamiliar repertoire.
Doesn't sound Spanish/Hispanic at all, but well sung and a pleasure to listen to - even if only once.  :)

Q

Thom

Moeran, Symphony with the beautiful, eerie sounding second mouvement

Biffo

Beethoven: 7 Bagatelles, Op 33 - Paul Lewis piano

Que

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948