What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VonStupp and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Karl Henning

Bortnyansky
Concerti for Choir
(anthems, really)
USSR Ministry of Culture Choir
Polyansky

Tempted to assert that if you don't know these, you're only scratching the surface of Russian music.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

JBS

TD
CD 2

Bax Tintagel
RVW Lark Ascending, Norfolk Rhapsody 1
Finzi Fall of the Leaf
Delius Summer Night on the River, On Hearing the First Cuckoo in Spring
Elgar As Torrents in Summer
Ireland The Hills

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on July 31, 2020, 09:29:59 AM
Totally agree; it's long been a favorite of mine. Perhaps it's not terribly "symphonic"  and more like a film score, but that hardly matters when the themes are so memorable! Some might call it "simplistic" but I find it very endearing. It's a shame Mr. Hurwit has not given us more music.

Agreed on all the points.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: JBS on July 31, 2020, 06:00:34 PM
TD
CD 2

Bax Tintagel
RVW Lark Ascending, Norfolk Rhapsody 1
Finzi Fall of the Leaf
Delius Summer Night on the River, On Hearing the First Cuckoo in Spring
Elgar As Torrents in Summer
Ireland The Hills
Great looking CD Jeffrey. What is Ireland's 'The Hills'? Never heard of it. Interesting about Abravanel's background. My own background is, to some extent, Sephardic. I like Abravanel's Sibelius cycle as well.

Now playing:
England Symphony No.2 'The Blackbird' - my favourite of his symphonic cycle:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 31, 2020, 01:52:41 PM
I mentioned this in the Respighi thread - but it bears repeating here;

the new/latest disc from John Wilson and his Sinfonia of London of the Respighi/Roman trilogy is simply the finest version of this work I have heard.  A perfect storm of sensational playing, demonstration quality recording and impressive interpretation.

More temptation  ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Que

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on July 31, 2020, 09:41:53 PM
Great looking CD Jeffrey. What is Ireland's 'The Hills'? Never heard of it. Interesting about Abravanel's background. My own background is, to some extent, Sephardic. I like Abravanel's Sibelius cycle as well.

Now playing:
England Symphony No.2 'The Blackbird' - my favourite of his symphonic cycle:

New one on me too. The only "The Hills" I know is Hadley.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Que

Que

Quote from: Todd on July 31, 2020, 01:59:00 PM

Disc 9.  The last three sonatas.  109 and 110 are both good, but Beghin delivers an extremely fine 111.  The Maestoso lacks the punch of a modern grand, and the Allegro never achieves the same energy, but it is excellent.  The Arietta is lovely, and the variations are very fine, but it is the "little stars" and some of the trills where the magic happens, with Beghin playing with a delicacy of touch and sound that only a period instrument could achieve.  He probably rates with PBS here.

Went trough that set myself, to wet my apatite for the Badura-Skoda set.
I agree that Tom Beghin is the performer that really stands out. Though Macolm Bilson's contributions are not bad at all.
A positive surprise was for me David Breitman, Bart van Oort was disappointing.

Q

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on July 31, 2020, 11:43:13 PM
New one on me too. The only "The Hills" I know is Hadley.
Me too Lol.

Now playing: 'Epinikia' by Einar Englund.
This is one of the best Englund CDs IMO as it couples two of his finest works, Epinikia and the Second Symphony:

vandermolen

Bloch: 'Israel Symphony':

Harry

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Traverso

Quote from: Florestan on July 31, 2020, 07:13:50 AM
First listen to this performance

Vols 1 & 2.

Immaculate and fresh piano playing, all voices clearly separated (Mandryka, you would relish that)), perfect balance between Classical poise and Romantic drama, music flows like honey and everything is a sheer delight, including the sonics. Listening to this is like listening to these sonatas for the first time. I'm only about halfway through but I can safely predict that this set is going to make it to the top tier of my favorite complete cycles, alongside Pires (Denon), Ingrid Haebler and Fazil Say. It might even top them all.

Desert island stuff.

Hi Florestan,indeed a very fine set,there is also a fine schubert set. :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Que on July 31, 2020, 11:54:31 PM

Q

The mischief-maker in me wants to read Gheerkin de hondt as "dog pickle"
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Traverso

Mozart

Well,it seems a good idea to start listen again to this very fine set of sonatas  :)

CD1

Traverso

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 31, 2020, 12:00:39 PM
I do like the Op. 81!

I know,I know....I remember that from the last time I posted it here ,it is a very fine piece and I like it too.

Pohjolas Daughter

William Cornysh from this set with The Tallis Scholars [Disc 1 of a 4-CD set]

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 01, 2020, 04:26:51 AM
The mischief-maker in me wants to read Gheerkin de hondt as "dog pickle"
lol  :) I love the cover...sweet and funny!
Pohjolas Daughter

Biffo

Rubbra: Symphony No 5 -  BBC National Orchestra of Wales conducted By Richard Hickox - very enjoyable

Todd

Quote from: Que on August 01, 2020, 12:33:41 AMI agree that Tom Beghin is the performer that really stands out. Though Macolm Bilson's contributions are not bad at all.

Bilson is quite good and I could have gone for a set by him alone.  But for Beghin, he was the pianist who operated at the highest level consistently.  I basically view the $5 I spent as fully accounted for and then some by Beghin, with Bilson a bonus, and the others just sort of some nice freebies.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya