What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iota

Ives: New England Holidays (Symphony)

Bernstein, NYPO

A truly marvel-filled score. Bernstein seems like a fish in water in this music.

André

Despite star billing, Guernica (a tone poem) represents less than 1/6 of the disc's playing time:

Like many composers, Balada has gone through different phases, so one cannot assess his style all that easily. This program gives a nice overview of his work. The ballet scenes from Zapata are the most easily accessible pieces here, using many popular mexican tunes. They are also the least challenging musically, therefore less interesting. The 5 other works that precede it are more meaty and memorable, packing power and drama in short time spans. The symphony is in a single movement, making it a sizeable piece despite its relatively short overall timing.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on August 04, 2020, 09:11:48 AM
Arrau can be of varying interest IMHO ... which ones do you like better then (as of now)?

I really love this set...of William Kempff  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

André

The three Divertimentos are scored for strings only and are fascinating studies on string sonorities. The Prague Sinfonietta is a work composed with Mozart's Prague symphony as its initial impulse. Very fine. The 5th symphony is in 3 rather unrelated movements. I can't say it hangs together well, but each movement is impressively evocative.

vandermolen

Stanley Bate: Symphony No.3

Now, Erik Chisholm's 'Pictures from Dante' - his masterpiece I think.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Carlo Gesualdo

Hello first of all...

I was about to tell you of a latest purchased but were deceive a bit - The calling of Rome_ I wish there were more Josquin than Victoria But I guess that me.

Next please a blast   a suprise purchased currently listening tonight -The new york polyphony and there cue on Tudor music album is called Tudor City and it is splendid so far after this  i will listen to a guitar rendition of renaissance trough Noel Akchoté , a composer that a great favorite.

goog night

Now

Karl Henning

Quote from: ritter on August 04, 2020, 08:15:43 AM
First listen to this new arrival: Abravanel conducts Satie.

Sounds good so far, but I don't think I'll listen to the whole set in one single sitting (two hours worth of circus music in one go seems excessive  ::) ;) ).

A little of the Satie orchestral music goes quite a long way, I find.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Stravinsky
Les noces
Mass
Lenny & al. on DG
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Symphonic Addict

Vittorio Giannini: Symphonies 3 & 4

Two very nice works, being the No. 3 an amiable piece for concert band with fresh music running throughout. The No. 4 is Neo-romantic in idiom with certain hints of Hindemith, mostly in the outer movements and a sort of Rachmaninovian/Marxian feel to it in the 2nd. That symphony gave me a better impression, absolutely fantastic. The Piano Concerto on that CD is terrific too, rather in the vein of the symphony.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: André on August 04, 2020, 10:11:47 AM

The Dies Irae had just started when news of the Beirut explosions flashed on my ipad  :(.

Very uncanny.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

JBS

Just finished an excellent performance of DSCH Fourth Symphony from this set

Recorded live in May 1987 with the USSR Ministry of Culture State Symphony Orchestra.  Only demerit was some determined coughing in the audience.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

Quote from: ritter on August 04, 2020, 08:15:43 AM
First listen to this new arrival: Abravanel conducts Satie.

[asin]B0007IA56Y[/asin]
Sounds good so far, but I don't think I'll listen to the whole set in one single sitting (two hours worth of circus music in one go seems excessive  ::)  ;)).
That was one of the discs highly praised by David Hurwitz in his Abravanel appreciation video.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

This is an outstanding performance. Mrs Rev makes a convincing case for these works being not mere salon trifles but deeply felt utterances on a par with Chopin's or Schumann's.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Daverz

Lighter music tonight...

Saint-Saëns: Piano Trio No. 1

[asin]B00004VFX9[/asin]

Delightful.

Korngold: The Cello Concerto written for Deception and a bit from Die Tote Stadt arranged for cello

[asin]B07Y97FK7Q[/asin]

Wallfisch plays these confections beautifully.

Traverso

Mozart

CD 5

piano sonatas 3-13 & 16

aligreto

Dufay: Chansons [Landauer/Posch]

aligreto

Quote from: kyjo on August 03, 2020, 09:55:04 AM

Oh, how rapturously beautiful these songs are! Some of my favorite vocal music ever written.

I wholeheartedly agree.