What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Beethoven: Piano Concerto No 4
Monique de la Bruchollerie
Paris Conservatoire Concert Society - Andre Cluytens

[asin]B06XST7GHS[/asin]

Does anybody know who composed the very romantic, poetic cadenza used by de la Bruchollerie here??

Traverso

Papy Oli

A first listen to Peteris Vasks, i think.

Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Papy Oli on August 05, 2020, 06:12:24 AM
Got distracted yesterday so replaying Alan Bush's 2nd Symphony again.

Don't you just hate when that happens?!

Khachaturian's Violin Concerto with Lydia Mordkovitch....Wow!  Quite enjoyable and what musicianship and virtuosity from Ms. Mordkovitch!!  Loved the Armenian folk-tinged elements in his music.   :)

Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 05, 2020, 05:13:11 AM
Glad that you enjoyed it!  I found a sample of it to listen to here.   :)  https://hyphenpress.co.uk/products/music/musik_fuer_viola_damore

Almost forgot TD:

Just on:  This Box, Bliss and Vaughan Williams CD on Chandos.  Besides the VW, I particularly enjoyed the third movement--"Adagietto espressivo" section.  And lovely clarinet playing by Janet Hilton!

That Chandos release is especially lovely.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Malipiero SQ 5 'dei capricci' (1950). My favourite of the SQs. There is a wonderfully atmospheric and rather sad ostinato passage from about 13 minutes in.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on August 05, 2020, 03:00:17 AM
Stanley Bate: Symphony No 4 - Royal Scottish National Orchestra conducted by Martin Yates. Courtesy of Spotify; the 'legendary' Symphony No 3 not available but on the strength of No 4 I have ordered it from Dutton.
Hope you enjoy it and the 'Pictures from Dante' as much as I have.

pjme

Quote from: Brian on August 05, 2020, 06:45:19 AM
Beethoven: Piano Concerto No 4
Monique de la Bruchollerie
Paris Conservatoire Concert Society - Andre Cluytens

[asin]B06XST7GHS[/asin]

Does anybody know who composed the very romantic, poetic cadenza used by de la Bruchollerie here??

Les quatre premiers disques sont consacrés aux grands concertos que Monique de La Bruchollerie (1915-1972) fréquentait souvent et auxquels elle donnait toujours un panache et une grandeur communicatifs.
Parmi eux, on découvre le Quatrième de Beethoven, premières cires, inédit absolu. L'autorité et l'éloquence, l'extrême honnêteté du discours et la virtuosité électrisante de la jeune soliste de 28 ans dans les cadences de Saint-Saëns, alliées à sa grande complicité avec André Cluytens et l'Orchestre de la Société des Concerts, sont une véritable révélation.

Romantic and poetic!
Source: http://www.concertonet.com/scripts/cd.php?ID_cd=3629

Que

Quote from: "Harry" on August 05, 2020, 03:52:10 AM

Music for the Viola d'amore.

Composers.
Franz Simon Schuchbauer, Johann Peter Guzinger, Christian Pezold, Wilhelm Ganspeck, Anonymous, first half of the 18th century.

Anna Schumann, Klaus Voigt, Viola d'amore.
Allison McGillivray, Violoncello.
Petra Burmann, Theorbo & Barock Guitar.
Sebastian Knebel, Harpsichord.

Absolutely sublime, all barock lovers should have this. So far one of the best acquisition this year.

Very interesting, Harry!  :)  Looks like right up my alley... :D

Managed to find some (glowing) reviews:

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/Name/Klaus-Voigt/Performer/217009-2

http://www.musica-dei-donum.org/cd_reviews/Genuin_GEN10183.html

Q

PS for those interssted, here's an amazing recording with similar programming:

Mahlerian

Bruckner: Symphony No. 6 in A
Hamburg Philharmonic Orchestra, cond. Young
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

SonicMan46

Quote from: "Harry" on August 05, 2020, 05:31:05 AM
Niels W. Gade.

Chamber Music, Volume IV.
Ensemble MidtVest

Hi Harry - not sure that I knew CPO had 4 (or more?) volumes of Gade's 'Chamber Works' - I have 5 non-CPO discs that qualify as chamber pieces, including one of piano works; so, curious as to how much he wrote in these genres - quoted below is my edited list of his piano and chamber music (may have missed a few and did not include any organ, orchestral, songs, etc.) (Source).  In BOLD, are the works on my 5 CDs, mainly missing some of his piano stuff (whether for 2 or 4 hands) - would be curious about the Quintet(s) and the Clarinet Pieces?

Now listening to the 3 recordings below - Dave :)

QuoteYear        Op.   Title, scoring, key, and other details
1836   —   Allegro, A minor, String quartet
1837   —   Andante & allegro molto, F minor String quintet (2 violins, viola and 2 cellos)
1839   —   Piano trio, B-flat major
1840   28   Piano Sonata in E minor (revised 1854)

1840   —   String quartet, F major
1841      2b   Spring Flowers, 3 Piano pieces. Revised Version 1873
1842   4   Nordiske Tonebilleder. Piano 4 hands
1842   6   1st violin sonata, A major
1845   8   String quintet, E minor. 2 violins, 2 violas, cello
1848   18   Three character pieces, Piano 4 hands
1849   17   Octet, F major, 4 violins, 2 violas and 2 cellos
1849   21a   2nd violin sonata, D minor
1850   19   Akvareller, Piano
1851   —   String quartet, F minor
1852   —   Albumsblade. Piano
1853   29   Novelletter, Piano trio

1854   27   Arabeske. Piano
1854   28   Piano sonata, E minor. Revision of the 1840 sonata
1855   31   Folkedanse. Piano

1857      34   Idyller. Piano
1857      —   Fra skitsebanden. Piano
1859      36   Children's Christmas (Børnenes Jul), Piano
1861      41   Four Fantastic Pieces. Piano
1861   —   Piano piece, B-flat major. Oprindelig skitse til Fantasistykke op 41
1861   —   Scherzino Akvarel. Piano
1863   42   Piano trio, F major
1864   43   4 Fantasi pieces, clarinet and piano
1864   44   Sextet, E-flat major, 2 violins, 2 violas and 2 cellos
1873      2b   Spring Flowers (Foraarstoner), 3 piano pieces. (revised 1841 pieces)
1875      2a   Rebus, 3 piano pieces[1]
1876   —   Akvarel, A major, Piano
1877   —   String quartet, E minor.
1881   57   Nye Akvareller. Piano
1885   59   3rd violin sonata, B-flat major

1886   62   Folkedanse, Violin and piano
1889   63   String quartet, D major
1889   —   String quartet, E minor. Revision of the 1877 quartet

Traverso

aligreto

Vanhal: Double Bass Concerto [Nwanoku/Goodwin]

SonicMan46

Quote from: aligreto on August 05, 2020, 09:31:05 AM
Vanhal: Double Bass Concerto [Nwanoku/Goodwin]

Hi Aligreto - took me a couple of listens (one w/ headphones) to appreciate this recording, but still in my collection - guess like bass solos in a jazz band, i.e. not easy to hear - but the reviews (attached) have been good.  Dave :)

JBS

Quote from: JBS on August 04, 2020, 06:37:08 PM
Just finished an excellent performance of DSCH Fourth Symphony from this set

Recorded live in May 1987 with the USSR Ministry of Culture State Symphony Orchestra.  Only demerit was some determined coughing in the audience.

Continuing with this  box
DSCH 7
USSR State TV and Radio  Orchestra
Another live  recording, but from January  1968 with tinny mono sound that's awful.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

André

1977 versions. This was very much the apex of Karajan's career. Beethoven performance style has changed dramatically since then, with leaner, more transparent textures and more attention to wind details. The ultra fast tempi are still pretty much à la mode, though.

From the Teldec Ligeti box. Melodien and the chamber concerto are quite extraordinary. The piano concerto is big fun and a great work, too. I didn't like Mysteries of the Macabre at all.

4 works for harp and orchestra by Renié, Pierné, Saint-Saëns and Dubois. Splendid program, colourful interpretations.

71 dB

Inspired by the fortcoming 31 CD boxset of German baroque on Ricercar label I went to my modest Ricercar collection and listened to the CD 1 of this twofer:

[asin]B001RIGDMS[/asin]

Matthias Weckmann - Sonaten, Lieder, Klavierwerke

Brilliant stuff! Weckmann was great. People talk about Schütz like there was no other, but I think Weckmann was just as good.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

SonicMan46

Gade, Niels - some more chamber works w/ violin & piano and solo piano - Dave :)

ritter

Quote from: André on August 05, 2020, 11:08:07 AM

...I didn't like Mysteries of the Macabre at all.
Neither did I when I listened to it several years ago (and I have no temptation to revisit the piece TBH).

Good day to you, André.

André

Ola! Rafael  ;)

Now playing:

Quite different from their 1964 recording. By 1978 Karajan had tightened his grip on the rythmic framework, now subjected to an inexorable, inflexible pace. The orchestra plays louder, too. In that perspective it's a real blessing the first movement repeat is ignored. Impressive, but not my cup of tea.