What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Just listened to a wonderful work...haunting, driving...and I won't say anything further though I do encourage you to listen to it!  Kabelec's "Mystery of Time" (mentioned elsewhere--Thanks Jeffrey as I've been wanting to explore his work).  I found a wonderful recording with Ancerl on YT here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kxcD0mU9jo

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 05, 2020, 10:19:27 AM

Hi Aligreto - took me a couple of listens (one w/ headphones) to appreciate this recording, but still in my collection - guess like bass solos in a jazz band, i.e. not easy to hear - but the reviews (attached) have been good.  Dave :)

Cheers Dave, I enjoyed it too even if the double bass was quite recessed in the recording. Thank you also for the attached reviews.

aligreto

Dvorak: Symphony No. 3 [Kertesz]

I particularly like the fine scoring for the brass and the woodwinds throughout this fine work.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on August 05, 2020, 12:51:30 PM
Dvorak: Symphony No. 3 [Kertesz]

I particularly like the fine scoring for the brass and the woodwinds throughout this fine work.
+1!  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

Disc 2.  It opens with a crackerjack Hob.XVI:46 played on harpsichord.  This is as strong a case as I can imagine for Haydn played on the instrument.  But that's not as good as the clavichord recordings that follow.  Outstanding.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

listener

A Program of music on the Cavaillé-Coll organ at Santa Maria la Real de Azkoitia.
The instrument was his last (1899), one a series for Spanish churches,  Azkoitia is in the area of San Sebastian.   Lots of trumpet stops and mixtures making for rather muddy sound when the full instrument is used.
GUILMANT: Sonata no. 5  FRANCK: Choral no.2, BONNET: Variations de concert
+ Dupré, Vierne and de la Tombelle
Mathias Kjellgren, organist
And IVES; 32 Songs
Henry Herford, baritone   Robin Bowman, piano
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Daverz

Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring - Dresden Staatskapelle, Otmar Suitner

[asin] B00009YFXW[/asin]

This was a Hurwitz recommendation from his Sacre video.  Exciting wind playing, but in the big part for bass drum, instead of the expected BWOOOM, BWOOOM, BWOOOM, BWOOOM, the overcautious engineers (or the conductor?) gives us a delicate twoom, twoom, twoom, twoom.  I mean you might not notice the bass drum part unless you'd heard it properly done in other recordings.  Definitely will not become a goto Sacre.

Brian

Quote from: pjme on August 05, 2020, 08:33:18 AM
Les quatre premiers disques sont consacrés aux grands concertos que Monique de La Bruchollerie (1915-1972) fréquentait souvent et auxquels elle donnait toujours un panache et une grandeur communicatifs.
Parmi eux, on découvre le Quatrième de Beethoven, premières cires, inédit absolu. L'autorité et l'éloquence, l'extrême honnêteté du discours et la virtuosité électrisante de la jeune soliste de 28 ans dans les cadences de Saint-Saëns, alliées à sa grande complicité avec André Cluytens et l'Orchestre de la Société des Concerts, sont une véritable révélation.

Romantic and poetic!
Source: http://www.concertonet.com/scripts/cd.php?ID_cd=3629

Thank you!! Camille makes sense.  :)

André

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 05, 2020, 12:31:41 PM
Just listened to a wonderful work...haunting, driving...and I won't say anything further though I do encourage you to listen to it!  Kabelec's "Mystery of Time" (mentioned elsewhere--Thanks Jeffrey as I've been wanting to explore his work).  I found a wonderful recording with Ancerl on YT here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kxcD0mU9jo

Best wishes,

PD

Quite unlike anything else indeed !

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

André

Symphony no 3.

Once again Karajan glosses over Brahms' wonderful writing for winds. The instrumental lines are there, but the tone is slender, bodiless, undercharacterized. Tempi are very swift, legato reigns. With similar speeds and a lesser orchestra, Walter's 1960 version suffuses warmth and drama. No contest.

Todd

I wavered on this one a bit, even at $5.  That was silly.  This is probably the best overall DMS recording I've heard now.  He and Piemontesi nail every work.

SimonNZ

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Papy Oli on August 05, 2020, 07:10:43 AM
A first listen to Peteris Vasks, i think.

I love that disc! Missa is just sublime. It really is.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

TheGSMoeller

Symphonic Addict

Casella: Cello Sonatas

I had heard the first one long ago, but the second one is a fresh work for me. Sounds formidable. I think I prefer it to the first one.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Todd

It's been a good long while.  Disc 1.

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on August 04, 2020, 06:37:08 PM
Just finished an excellent performance of DSCH Fourth Symphony from this set

Recorded live in May 1987 with the USSR Ministry of Culture State Symphony Orchestra.  Only demerit was some determined coughing in the audience.

Nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

André

Quote from: Daverz on August 05, 2020, 02:04:24 PM
Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring - Dresden Staatskapelle, Otmar Suitner

[asin] B00009YFXW[/asin]

This was a Hurwitz recommendation from his Sacre video.  Exciting wind playing, but in the big part for bass drum, instead of the expected BWOOOM, BWOOOM, BWOOOM, BWOOOM, the overcautious engineers (or the conductor?) gives us a delicate twoom, twoom, twoom, twoom.  I mean you might not notice the bass drum part unless you'd heard it properly done in other recordings.  Definitely will not become a goto Sacre.

I love that Sacre ! It's slow, heavy, dark, violent.  :)

Karl Henning

Reinbert de Leeuw playing Satie
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot