What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on September 19, 2020, 06:59:19 AM
One of the best RVW cycles, for me together with Bryden Thomson's for Chandos. Both Previn's Sixth and Ninth - one of the most impressive IMHO - are fine achievements.
2,5 and 8 are my favourites of Previn's cycle (2 and 8 unrivalled IMO) but the whole set is very good. Now listening to this fine performance which begins with Shostakovich's wartime broadcast (1941) from besieged Leningrad. It's an absolutely terrific performance - I can't recall hearing a better one:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Que

Traverso

Vagn Holmboe

String Quartets  1,3 & 4

Traverso

Quote from: vandermolen on September 19, 2020, 08:02:07 AM
2,5 and 8 are my favourites of Previn's cycle (2 and 8 unrivalled IMO) but the whole set is very good. Now listening to this fine performance which begins with Shostakovich's wartime broadcast (1941) from besieged Leningrad. It's an absolutely terrific performance - I can't recall hearing a better one:

Ashkenazy is a good advocate IMO

Mandryka

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 19, 2020, 05:04:52 AM
That's me  ;D

This is well worth catching -- I think it's easily available in a Virgin double CD with some Byrd songs.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

JBS

Quote from: Mandryka on September 19, 2020, 11:02:09 AM
This is well worth catching -- I think it's easily available in a Virgin double CD with some Byrd songs.

This is the double CD
[asin]B017AMFI4S[/asin]

Odd that neither of the 2 CDs was included in either of the 2 Hilliard box sets Warner put out not too long ago.

TD
Beethoven
Symphonies 4 and 8
Alain Planes piano

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Traverso

Vivaldi

CD 10

6 Flute Concertos

Stephen Preston Flute Traverso

Mandryka

https://www.youtube.com/v/0AK54o2CgPw&ab_channel=JanuszOlejniczak-Topic

Can anyone tell me whether this Chopin op 68/4 mazurka is the Kingsley Day reconstruction? Janusz Olejniczak doesn't say in the booklet, he does comment though -- he says the music is full of woe, and it certainly is the way he plays it (which seems totally unique to me.)
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

JBS

First listen to a new arrival
[asin]B00000JSAJ[/asin]

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on September 19, 2020, 12:05:25 PM
First listen to a new arrival

It's a while since I've listened to that. When I'm ready for a break from Sweelinck, i'll pop it in.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

JBS

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 19, 2020, 12:35:42 PM
It's a while since I've listened to that. When I'm ready for a break from Sweelinck, i'll pop it in.

First impression: thorny, but I wasn't expecting it to be not thorny. The symphony did fall a bit more pleasantly on the ears than the concerto.

MN Dave

"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Daverz

In honor of RBG

Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis

[asin] B00ACHXHII[/asin]

Dvorak: Requiem

[asin] B00007H4E2[/asin]

OK, maybe I should try to find something more appropriate for a Jewish lady, but I don't think she'd mind particularly the fine singing in the Dvorak.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mandryka on September 19, 2020, 11:02:09 AM

I have that disc and I've been listening nonstop. It was my introduction to Dowland. If I'd known about the Virgin double I might have gone for it in that guise instead, but it's OK. I actually listened to the whole thing first thing this morning! But I appreciate the recommendation nevertheless.

Is the Byrd it's coupled with also worth going for? I know nothing of Byrd.

SimonNZ

JBS

This

As part of this set.
[Asin]B00YJW851Q[/asin]

Spiegel im Spiegel fills out the CD [Tasmin Little, violin/Martin Roscoe, piano]