What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MusicTurner

Quote from: kyjo on October 21, 2020, 07:36:08 AM
A fantastic work! I'll have to look out for the Brilliant recording.

Yes, in this case, I'm listening to it several times in a row ...

pjme

Quote from: "Harry" on October 21, 2020, 06:11:22 AM
I have every CD of Divna, a most glorious voice with Orthodox music, all very near to my heart.

Yes, very beautiful and uplifting.
However, and to my surprise, she apparently also tries to be some kind of a pop diva (see Sidji do reke) in a very kitschy way...an overload of worn cliches.
Too bad!

Florestan

Quote from: kyjo on October 21, 2020, 07:31:50 AM
Pounds the table!! Great music and performances.

Yep. There's a whole series of Dvorak's chamber music for piano and strings by the Busch Trio and guests, 3 more discs.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on October 21, 2020, 06:32:51 AM
Well, here goes  :):

Gabriel Fauré: Piano Quintet No. 1, op. 89 - Michel Dalberto & the Quatuor Ebène.

CD 5.

I have both this and the Domus but have listened to the latter only. I reckon this should be very good as well.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Harry

Quote from: pjme on October 21, 2020, 07:50:34 AM
Yes, very beautiful and uplifting.
However, and to my surprise, she apparently also tries to be some kind of a pop diva (see Sidji do reke) in a very kitschy way...an overload of worn cliches.
Too bad!

Yes those I avoid...I concentrated on the religious side.... To bad she uses her voice for that kind of thing, but apparently that brings money on the table..
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Mandryka

Listening to this I'm thinking

1. It is very good to have subwoofers
2. I don't know if I could tell Lübeck and Bux apart blind, I mean apart from the works I know well enough to identify the attribution. Maybe, I'm not sure.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Florestan

Quote from: "Harry" on October 21, 2020, 08:52:51 AM
Yes those I avoid...I concentrated on the religious side.... To bad she uses her voice for that kind of thing, but apparently that brings money on the table..

Years ago I've heard her live in Bucharest. A joy!

That she sings for money on the table? Let him who is without sin cast the first stone...

Karl Henning

Schubert
The b minor semi-symphony, D.759
ONRF
Markevich
Recorded in the Salle de la Mutualité (18 Jan 1955)

This is a piece I've always been very fond of: first came to know it by playing a band transcription of the Allegro moderato in my teens.
That said, this item on the program was far from just why I purchased this 18-disc box.

But, the Allegro moderato is so well-shaped, its dramatic subtleties so expertly expressed, this may be my all-time favorite account of the piece.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

And now, Markevich conducting the f minor symphonies of Tchaikovsky & Shostakovich, respectively. Hot damn, but this is good!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Todd

A blended recital, spanning the baroque to contemporary music.  The selections and sequence are excellently done, and some transitions sound seamless.  Some contemporary works quote or allude to other works.  The only beef is that Greilsammer is definitely not a great Scriabin player.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Todd on October 21, 2020, 11:35:30 AM

A blended recital, spanning the baroque to contemporary music.  The selections and sequence are excellently done, and some transitions sound seamless.  Some contemporary works quote or allude to other works.  The only beef is that Greilsammer is definitely not a great Scriabin player.

I heard him do the whole sequence of that album at Ravinia last year. It was fun stuff. Especially I like the way he integrates early keyboard music into the mix.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

vandermolen

Imants Kalnins: Symphony No.4
Wow!
This is something quite special with the 'rock band' genuinely integrated into the orchestra. The first movement with its pounding and yet compulsive Bolero-like ostinato has me on the edge of my seat - I've never quite heard anything like it. It must be sensational in concert and IMO not to be missed:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

Revisiting old friends: Mozart 39, 40, 41 and Beethoven 1, 6.

In short: 39 is excellent, full of vim and vigour. No 40 doesn't entirely convince, on account of an under accentuated first movement. Mov 3 and 4 otoh are perfectly paced and articulated. The Jupiter is the crown of this cd, with a joyous, robust, swinging performance. BP, recorded in the early sixties.

The Beethoven 1st (a favourite) is given a superlative performance, gruff and mischievious, sturdy and full of fun. This is not Böhm's Pastorale. It's the Wiener Philharmoniker's, in all its glory. Whether it's an oboe, a clarinet, the horns, the big, patrician string section, in nature painting or village scene, no orchestra has ever approached them for idiomacy, stylishness, effortless elegance and pointed individual/sectional/ensemble playing. WP, early seventies recordings. Lucky Ludwig !

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on October 21, 2020, 11:16:42 AM
Years ago I've heard her live in Bucharest. A joy!

That she sings for money on the table? Let him who is without sin cast the first stone...

She could also actually like what she's singing. Shock horror.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Irons

Yuri Falik: 6th String Quartet (1984).

The 6th is unlike the other quartets on this CD in fact unlike any other quartet known to me! Consisting of two movements, the first being a short boisterous Fanfair followed by a moving Requiem. Two movements that would seem irreconcilable but from Falik's pen they fit and one feeds off the other.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

North Star

Haydn
String Quartets Op. 64
Festetics

[asin]B00NB8L0E8[/asin]
Bach
Cantatas 51, 99, 100, 138
Gardiner

[asin]B00ETHPJ1U[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Traverso

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on October 21, 2020, 12:04:25 PM
Imants Kalnins: Symphony No.4
Wow!
This is something quite special with the 'rock band' genuinely integrated into the orchestra. The first movement with its pounding and yet compulsive Bolero-like ostinato has me on the edge of my seat - I've never quite heard anything like it. It must be sensational in concert and IMO not to be missed:

Nice to read that you like it! Have the older BIS recording, will give it a spin again.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on October 21, 2020, 01:20:14 PM
Nice to read that you like it! Have the older BIS recording, will give it a spin again.
It arrived today.
Here's the opening movement played by the Baltic Sea Youth Philharmonic if anyone wants to sample the 'Rock Symphony' by Imants Kalninš:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qI4G5J50nGg
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).