Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 616703 times)

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #28340 on: November 22, 2020, 08:02:34 AM »
I have this in the Steinberg Icon box but gave up on it part way through as the sound was appalling - perhaps I need to revisit it.

I don't have a problem with the sound. Nor did I object to the 1936 recording of VW conducting Dona Nobis Pacem but I'm not a particular Hi-Fi buff. There are a couple of authorised cuts in this recording of FTP but they don't worry me as it does ramble a bit in places.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #28341 on: November 22, 2020, 08:08:49 AM »
8) Very nice, Jan. Good to see you bought that Milhaud set. I hope it didn’t cost you too much and you were able to get a good deal on it.

Thank you John,I bought it for an attractive price  :)  It's time to explore his music !

Offline steve ridgway

• Veteran member
  • Harrison Birtwistle (1934-)
  • Currently Listening to:
    1960s/70s avant-garde & electroacoustic
« Reply #28342 on: November 22, 2020, 08:20:16 AM »
Stockhausen - Prozession. Starting to sound better on second listening.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Paul Hindemith (1895 - 1963)
    Debussy, Ravel, Bartók, Stravinsky, Mahler, Schoenberg, Berg, Webern, Janáček, Takemitsu
« Reply #28343 on: November 22, 2020, 08:20:31 AM »
Thank you John,I bought it for an attractive price  :)  It's time to explore his music !

8)
Don’t forget to remember your three A’s folks: Arnie, Alban and Anton!

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #28344 on: November 22, 2020, 08:22:21 AM »
Poulenc

CD5

Sonate pour flûte et piano - Sonate pour hautbois et piano - Sonate pour clarinette et piano - Elégie pour cor et piano - Sonate pour 2 clarinettes - Sonate pour clarinette et basson - Sonate pour cor, trompette et trombone - 3 mouvements perpétuels pour 9 instruments

Emmanuel Pahud, Michel Debost, Jacques Février, Maurice Bourgue, Michel Portal, Alan Civil, Maurice Gabai, Amaury Wallez, John Wilbraham, John Iveson, Orchestre De La Garde Républicaine, François Boulange

Beautiful music for Flute and Clarinet  and a few pieces wich are completely new for me.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
    Debussy, Ravel, Bartók, Stravinsky, Mahler, Schoenberg, Berg, Webern, Janáček, Takemitsu
« Reply #28345 on: November 22, 2020, 08:27:13 AM »
Poulenc

CD5

Sonate pour flûte et piano - Sonate pour hautbois et piano - Sonate pour clarinette et piano - Elégie pour cor et piano - Sonate pour 2 clarinettes - Sonate pour clarinette et basson - Sonate pour cor, trompette et trombone - 3 mouvements perpétuels pour 9 instruments

Emmanuel Pahud, Michel Debost, Jacques Février, Maurice Bourgue, Michel Portal, Alan Civil, Maurice Gabai, Amaury Wallez, John Wilbraham, John Iveson, Orchestre De La Garde Républicaine, François Boulange

Beautiful music for Flute and Clarinet  and a few pieces wich are completely new for me.

8)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #28346 on: November 22, 2020, 08:31:32 AM »
Milhaud
String Quartet No. 1, Op. 5
Quatuor Parisii

The prices this box set are going for are close to $200. I paid a good bit for my set (not $200), but it was worth every penny.

Offline steve ridgway

• Veteran member
« Reply #28347 on: November 22, 2020, 10:10:55 AM »
Luc Ferrari - J’ai été coupé, 1969.

Offline steve ridgway

• Veteran member
« Reply #28348 on: November 22, 2020, 10:35:41 AM »
Scelsi - Konx-Om-Pax, 1969.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #28349 on: November 22, 2020, 11:04:09 AM »
This entire recording (and yes, it’s outstanding):

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #28350 on: November 22, 2020, 11:24:56 AM »

Orchestra and chorus are superb. Barenboim’s conducting is effective in pacing the work, if unsubtle in balancing tenderness and terror, religious feeling and theatrical drama. The soloists are a good bunch, although Meier is no real mezzo, the bottom part of her voice lacks body. Domingo is too forwardly miked for my taste but there’s no denying he has power and brilliance to spare. Turiddu goes to church. Bass Ferruccio Furlanetto twirls his mustache and snarls lustily, but the voice is a bit woolly and lacks the panache and suavity of Ghiaurov or Siepi. Soprano Alessandra Marc’s powerful but well-controlled voice stands out and her contribution is reason enough to listen to this version again - along with that fabulous orchestra and chorus. The sound is very good.

Online Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28351 on: November 22, 2020, 11:34:20 AM »

Q

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #28352 on: November 22, 2020, 11:36:13 AM »

Q

Great but hardly HIP. What's your take on that?  :)
“Especially as far as I am concerned, romanticism is not the bloodless intellectual commitment to a program, but the expression of my most profound mind and soul.” --- Sergei Bortkiewicz (1877-1952)

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #28353 on: November 22, 2020, 12:23:53 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZYBliPhLAE0&amp;ab_channel=TheKing%27sSingers" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ZYBliPhLAE0&amp;ab_channel=TheKing%27sSingers</a>
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Sterna

« Reply #28354 on: November 22, 2020, 12:28:12 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZYBliPhLAE0&amp;ab_channel=TheKing%27sSingers" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ZYBliPhLAE0&amp;ab_channel=TheKing%27sSingers</a>

Thanks for this!

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #28355 on: November 22, 2020, 12:34:39 PM »

I had forgotten just how wonderful this music is. It turned a cloudy, humid and bleak afternoon into a sunlit and warm "land of smiles".

Oh yes! Wonderful music, above all his PCs and piano trios. Not only is Saint-Saëns’ music utterly delightful and enchanting, but it is really satisfying too.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
« Reply #28356 on: November 22, 2020, 12:37:15 PM »
I just couldn’t deal with Mahler today, so...

That’s me most days anymore! I recognize that Mahler was a singularly great composer, but most days I prefer music that’s a bit less manic-depressive. ;)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
« Reply #28357 on: November 22, 2020, 12:41:22 PM »

Bacchus et Ariane

I think it's one of Roussel's masterpieces. And I also think Prokofiev had to hear this work in his lifetime. I heard some gestures there that brought the Russian man to my mind.

Piano Quintet, Op. 29

I was expecting something folksy and lively, but alas, it turned out to be a very discordant piece. Despite that, it has an otherworldly feel to it I found certainly entrancing, mostly in the Scherzo fantastico. Another original feature is the cadenzas for the different instruments: one cadenza for viola and cello, one for two violins and the last one for piano.

Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima

Just jaw-dropping, and scary in the right context. WOW!

Bacchus et Ariane is not only one of Roussel’s greatest works, but one of the great ballets of the 20th century IMO. And I totally agree about the Prokofiev connection. Their music shares that same “sweet and spicy” combination that I find so fascinating.

And yeah, the Ginastera PQ will certainly come as a shock to anyone expecting something like Estancia! I should give it another go.

Sterna

« Reply #28358 on: November 22, 2020, 12:43:57 PM »
Domenico Gallo (1730-1768): Trio Sonatas.
Parnassi Musici.
CPO, released in 2000.

Lovely music, with a few Aha-Erlebnisse from Stravinsky's Pulcinella.

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
« Reply #28359 on: November 22, 2020, 12:44:20 PM »
One more work for the night:

Diamond
String Quartet No. 3
Potomac String Quartet

A beautiful work! Jeffrey (vandermolen) just needs to hear it! ;)