What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz (+ 1 Hidden) and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

Que

Iota

Holliger: Scardanelli-Zyklus

A towering work that bites deep. The avant garde doesn't come more monumental or sophisticated than this for me.

Mandryka

Chaya Czernowin, a half hour long piece for cello and orchestra called Guardian, Séverine Ballon on the cello. Authoritative - what I mean is, it forces you to submit and listen by means of some sort of ineffable logic. How is that possible? I guess that's the craft. The usual indeterminate pitches coming out of traditional instruments  - things have come a long way since Gran Torso. Have we become blasé about it all,  so we need the sort of thing Lachenmann's up to now to give is a jolt? Anyway, Czernowyn is definitely in the tradition of modernism from 20 years ago in this piece. Some familiar gestures, but not many, this music sounds totally fresh. Some magic moments, many magic moments,  other worldly, ecstatic - time managed so that it stands still sort of thing.  30 minutes, but it's good enough to transcend clock time. Like it very much, a great pleasure to hear.  When it finished I wanted to hear it again.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Traverso

Biffo

Falla: Noches en los jardines de Espana - Javier Perianes piano with the BBC Symphony Orchestra conducted by Josep Pons

Harry

Charles O'Brien.
Complete Orchestral Music, Volume I.

Ellangowan: Concert overture, opus 12.
Symphony in F minor, opus 23.

Liepaja SO, Paul Mann.

A fine new discovery these World premiere recordings by an unjustly neglected composer. For most this will be boring music, but for me there is so much musical wealth in the orchestral detailing, that my heart leaps forward listening to Ellangowan. The F minor symphony carries the flag even higher on the hill, and makes for perfect sonorities. This guy had a lot to say, but people were not listening, unfortunately. Very good sound and performance.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

kyjo

Quote from: Madiel on November 27, 2020, 02:50:40 AM
Grieg, String Quartet (no.1?) in G minor, op.27

I'm not sure I've ever heard the work before. But I can tell you after 3 minutes that this is a hell of a good recording.

EDIT: Lots of dynamic, exciting music making throughout.

A wonderful work!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Harry

Franz Krommer.

Symphony No. 1, 2 & 3.

Orchestra della Svizzera Italiana, Howard Griffiths.

These are the best performances I know of Krommer's sublime symphonies. Great sound and even greater performances.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Traverso

Symphonic Addict

Cello concertos by Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco and Lodewijk de Vocht

Splendid both pieces. The de Vocht was a nice discovery.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

André

Quote from: "Harry" on November 27, 2020, 07:00:35 AM
Charles O'Brien.
Complete Orchestral Music, Volume I.

Ellangowan: Concert overture, opus 12.
Symphony in F minor, opus 23.

Liepaja SO, Paul Mann.

A fine new discovery these World premiere recordings by an unjustly neglected composer. For most this will be boring music, but for me there is so much musical wealth in the orchestral detailing, that my heart leaps forward listening to Ellangowan. The F minor symphony carries the flag even higher on the hill, and makes for perfect sonorities. This guy had a lot to say, but people were not listening, unfortunately. Very good sound and performance.

A fine disc indeed. The slow movement of the symphony is particularly memorable.

André

A moving work written by composer Gerhard Rosenfeld (whose violin concerto I cherish) on a libretto by Gipsy author and activist Anita Geigges. Written for solo violin, harp and percussion, with a recitant and mezzo-soprano. The latter is a dubious asset IMO, at least in this version. Christina Ascher has a big, fruity voice of the operatic kind. A more slender voice with little vibrato would have been preferable. But since there's no competition it's hard to pass this by on this account.

Mirror Image

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

NP:

Schoenberg
Suite, Op. 29
Verklärte Nacht, Op. 4
(original version)
Boulez et. al.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 27, 2020, 10:19:28 AM
NP:

Schoenberg
Suite, Op. 29
Verklärte Nacht, Op. 4
(original version)
Boulez et. al.

Beauty!

Thread Duty:

Hovhaness
Return and Rebuild the Desolate Places, Op. 213
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

bhodges

R. Strauss: Elektra (Met Opera daily livestream) -- What a performance! Incredible cast: Nina Stemme, Adrianne Pieczonka, Waltraud Meier, and Eric Owens, with Esa-Pekka Salonen conducting. It's available free until 6:30 (EST) tonight, and I may very well watch the last 20 minutes again.

https://www.metopera.org/user-information/nightly-met-opera-streams/

--Bruce