What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Christo on November 11, 2019, 10:57:16 PM
One of the better! (performances, there are about 20 around).  :)

Wow! I should never have guessed that there are so many!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: "Harry" on November 11, 2019, 11:02:43 PM
Good morning to all, let's hope the site will work fluently today :laugh:

Music in Europe at the time of the Renaissance. CD IV.

France: Secular vocal music, part I.
France: Instrumental music. part II.

As interesting as the previous discs, but I take exception with the performances by Ensemble Clement Janequin, led by Dominique Visse. That's a tiring experience, this aggressive way of declamation, and pushy way of singing. Never liked it, never will. The rest is quite good.

Goededag, mijn vriend!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

RVW
Symphony # 5

Both
LSO/Previn & Handley
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Harry

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

aligreto

Stravinsky: Firebird Suite [Giulini]

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 12, 2019, 06:53:16 AM
RVW
Symphony # 5

Both
LSO/Previn & Handley

Thumbs up, especially for the Previn recording. One of the best 5ths on record, IMHO.

Papy Oli

Revisiting Richard Arnell's 3rd symphony more attentively.

[asin]B000ECWY9O[/asin]
Olivier

ritter

Returning to an all-time favourite  :)

Igor Stravinsky conducts the Columbia Symphony Orchestra in his Pétrouchka. CD 2 of this set:

[asin]B000PTYUQG[/asin]

"Elle avait une jambe en bois...;D

Traverso

Messiaen

Louis Thiry, who has died aged 84, was a brilliant French organist, blind from birth, best known for his enthusiastic interpretation of Olivier Messiaen's works, which he recorded  to great acclaim.

André

The chamber music arrangement Schönberg commissioned for his Society for Private Musical Performances in Vienna:

aligreto

Brahms: Two Rhapsodies Op. 79 [Argerich]

amw

Quote from: Mandryka on November 12, 2019, 05:19:43 AM

Laurence Crane - new purchase which just arrived. This guy Crane's the real McCoy I think, in a Feldman/Cage x Webern sort of way.
It'll be a few years before I have enough cash to actually build an another timbre collection but based on the available recordings I know, mostly agree. His use of consonance might be offputting to some Cage/Feldman fans but I do find it refreshingly defamiliarised in most cases.

Mirror Image

Vaughan Williams: Symphony Nos. 4, 5 & 6

From the following recordings:

aligreto

Rossini String Sonatas Nos. 3 & 4

I really like this music and in particular the scoring/instrumentation.

Harry

Quote from: Papy Oli on November 12, 2019, 07:33:37 AM
Revisiting Richard Arnell's 3rd symphony more attentively.

[asin]B000ECWY9O[/asin]

I am a great admirer of Arnell's music, and have almost all his orchestral works. Glad that you like his music too.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Mandryka

Quote from: amw on November 12, 2019, 08:29:32 AM
It'll be a few years before I have enough cash to actually build an another timbre collection but based on the available recordings I know, mostly agree. His use of consonance might be offputting to some Cage/Feldman fans but I do find it refreshingly defamiliarised in most cases.

Hard for me to understand what's going on (without being cynical) when the tonality isn't defamiliarised, from Spiegel im Spiegel to this

https://youtube.com/v/H4Bsw560XaA

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Traverso

Just finished listening to Messiaen, what can I say, it is so beautiful and it has such an impact on me that it fills me with a silence that reaches to another dimension, I am just happy.
Louis Thiry is a very gifted musician and I love his Messiaen recordings,
the recordings of Calliope sound very good

amw

Quote from: Mandryka on November 12, 2019, 09:20:48 AM
Hard for me to understand what's going on (without being cynical) when the tonality isn't defamiliarised, from Spiegel im Spiegel to this

https://youtube.com/v/H4Bsw560XaA

If Cardew is any indication, it has something to do with trying to translate Maoist principles into musical aesthetics, but I have no idea if Skempton shares his mentors particular leanings or not. There is some literature out there about "British experimentalism" but I couldn't tell you where to find it tbh, it's never been a strong interest of mine.

Skempton transcends pastiche in Lento for sure, and maybe also in Rise Up My Love, but if you're not already into traditional tonality it's probably still hard to appreciate those. There's also the NMC disc of John White piano sonatas which are hard not to see as tongue in cheek commentaries on the "canon", and the Mode disc of Chris Newman piano sonatas which are similar but significantly less tongue in cheek and more surrealist (probably would appeal in the same way Crane does)

Mandryka

Quote from: Traverso on November 12, 2019, 09:40:09 AM
Just finished listening to Messiaen, what can I say, it is so beautiful and it has such an impact on me that it fills me with a silence that reaches to another dimension, I am just happy.
Louis Thiry is a very gifted musician and I love his Messiaen recordings,
the recordings of Calliope sound very good

Time for me to reassess this I think

https://www.youtube.com/v/Gj6xBBS2MFo

Mandryka

Quote from: amw on November 12, 2019, 09:44:17 AM
If Cardew is any indication, it has something to do with trying to translate Maoist principles into musical aesthetics, but I have no idea if Skempton shares his mentors particular leanings or not. There is some literature out there about "British experimentalism" but I couldn't tell you where to find it tbh, it's never been a strong interest of mine.

Skempton transcends pastiche in Lento for sure, and maybe also in Rise Up My Love, but if you're not already into traditional tonality it's probably still hard to appreciate those. There's also the NMC disc of John White piano sonatas which are hard not to see as tongue in cheek commentaries on the "canon", and the Mode disc of Chris Newman piano sonatas which are similar but significantly less tongue in cheek and more surrealist (probably would appeal in the same way Crane does)

There's a book on Cardew which I'd really like to read, but I'm resisting pressing the command button

I think the really interesting one (mention of Rise Up My Love made me think of it) for going beyond pastiche is Michael Finnissy, here. I really like it