Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 839567 times)

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #34660 on: February 23, 2021, 12:44:00 PM »
Looks interesting. How do you like it?

Both seemed influenced by Beethoven on some extent, above all the 1st SQ. The 2nd SQ is slightly more sophisticated. Two pleasant works overall.
«Music is liquid architecture; architecture is frozen music.»

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Béla Bartók (1881 - 1945)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Magyar tánc a faluban
« Reply #34661 on: February 23, 2021, 12:49:03 PM »
A brilliant work as usual with this composer.

Yes, indeed.
“Competitions are for horses, not artists.”

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #34662 on: February 23, 2021, 12:52:01 PM »
I've been very happy with that disc.

And now I know why  8) ...it is an astonishing performance. The Vivace is spectacular and quite a different beast than Lenárd's, Boult's or Brabbins'.

Sarge
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 12:54:13 PM by Sergeant Rock »
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
    Magyar tánc a faluban
« Reply #34663 on: February 23, 2021, 01:07:27 PM »
NP: Milhaud L’Automne, Op. 115 (Choveaux)

Anyone with any interest in Milhaud and solo piano music should really pick up Choveaux’s three volume series. It’s excellent.

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #34664 on: February 23, 2021, 01:13:30 PM »
And ?   :D

Well I understand why EMI did not release this recording of Petrushka, but was it the right decision? To begin with, the recording is very good, it is clear as a watercolor painting, the woodwinds are audible and what you hear is in a sense a Stravinsky that is still under construction with only a layer of primer.
Unsurprisingly  there is no striving for slickness, the whole idea could plunge him into frenzy.
Sometimes it feel likes you are listening to an amateur orchestra. What we get to hear is the result of not enough rehearsal time but enough to hear what could have been. A very quirky Petrushka that cannot be compared to any other.
The Premier Tableau is very convincing notwithstanding the croaking oboe. :D What it has most of all is an intriguing atmosphere that cancels out all shortcomings in my view. I love it.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #34665 on: February 23, 2021, 02:27:30 PM »

Sometimes I wonder how on earth did I end up with THREE complete Haydn sonatas sets?  ???

But it just kind of happened... And the thing is: they are all very good....
Schornsheim is elegant and charming on a wide range of keyboard instruments.
Brautigam (BIS) is energetic and expressive. Beghin (Naxos) is absolutely brilliant and probably my favourite, but I wouldn't want to be without the others.

Hey Que - I have the same 3 sets, plus the one added above w/ Derzhavina (need one w/ a modern piano, I guess) - just was checking Amazon USA and Schornsheim must be OOP and in demand?  Also, need to check the works included but the piano box has only 9 discs vs. 13-15 CDs in the period instrument offerings?  Dave :)

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #34666 on: February 23, 2021, 02:48:09 PM »
Well I understand why EMI did not release this recording of Petrushka, but was it the right decision? To begin with, the recording is very good, it is clear as a watercolor painting, the woodwinds are audible and what you hear is in a sense a Stravinsky that is still under construction with only a layer of primer.
Unsurprisingly  there is no striving for slickness, the whole idea could plunge him into frenzy.
Sometimes it feel likes you are listening to an amateur orchestra. What we get to hear is the result of not enough rehearsal time but enough to hear what could have been. A very quirky Petrushka that cannot be compared to any other.
The Premier Tableau is very convincing notwithstanding the croaking oboe. :D What it has most of all is an intriguing atmosphere that cancels out all shortcomings in my view. I love it.

Very well put. It’s a unique view that can’t and shouldn’t be replicated. I’m glad it exists, a very expressionist, highly contrasted black and white vision. The classic recording remains Monteux’ - the work’s creator.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34667 on: February 23, 2021, 02:56:31 PM »
Hey Que - I have the same 3 sets, plus the one added above w/ Derzhavina (need one w/ a modern piano, I guess) - just was checking Amazon USA and Schornsheim must be OOP and in demand?  Also, need to check the works included but the piano box has only 9 discs vs. 13-15 CDs in the period instrument offerings?  Dave :)

Disc 14 of the Schornsheim set is dedicated to an interview and a discussion on the various instruments.
And the set has more than just the sonatas, though I'm not sure if that would make up the remaining difference of 4 discs...Perhaps something with repeats?

Q

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #34668 on: February 23, 2021, 03:05:28 PM »

Salter’s music for The Ghost of Frankenstein is a full-fledged score that holds the story together - 45 minutes vs the usual bits running for 15-25 minutes in most horror movies from Universal. Salter studied with Berg and Schreker and proves a master at establishing an atmosphere through orchestration. The themes are short and lend themselves to constant transformation, the orchestration providing all the changes of colour and mood required by the story. One of the best in Naxos’ prolific film music series.

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #34669 on: February 23, 2021, 03:12:44 PM »

Anton Bruckner: Symphony in F minor, WAB 99, the "Study Symphony". Georg Tintner, Royal Scottish National Orchestra

Tintner was a brilliant Brucknerian. His conducting brings a lot of insight into the music, I think, even in relatively minor works like this one. Always worth a listen. I think I'm going to try and piece together the rest of the cycle.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
    Magyar tánc a faluban
« Reply #34670 on: February 23, 2021, 03:18:12 PM »
NP: Martin Act I from Der Sturm (Fischer et. al.)

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #34671 on: February 23, 2021, 03:22:07 PM »
Bachianas Brasileiras Nos. 7-9. I can't get enough of these pieces. The melodies, rhythms and Brazilian flavour on them are absolutely enchanting. I think I prefer these works over the symphonies, or at least, over most of them. Fantastic rediscovery.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
    Magyar tánc a faluban
« Reply #34672 on: February 23, 2021, 03:24:12 PM »
Bachianas Brasileiras Nos. 7-9. I can't get enough of these pieces. The melodies, rhythms and Brazilian flavour on them are absolutely enchanting. I think I prefer these works over the symphonies, or at least, over most of them. Fantastic rediscovery.

And I prefer the Chôros to the Bachianas Brasileiras and symphonies. ;)

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #34673 on: February 23, 2021, 03:32:58 PM »
And I prefer the Chôros to the Bachianas Brasileiras and symphonies. ;)

I also have them in high esteem. The Chôros will come next in the future. For these days I won't want to overload myself with his music.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #34674 on: February 23, 2021, 04:10:23 PM »

The Martinu and Janacek pieces are well known to me, and these versions are superb.  The Janacek is more suave than the few other versions I've heard, and the better for it.  The show stopper, though, is the Kabelac.  DSCH with Czech lyricism and a groovy feel.  Man, it is something else.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline OrchestralNut

• Veteran member
  • Cesar Franck, or Hugh Jackman as Wolverine
« Reply #34675 on: February 23, 2021, 04:11:15 PM »

Anton Bruckner: Symphony in F minor, WAB 99, the "Study Symphony". Georg Tintner, Royal Scottish National Orchestra

Tintner was a brilliant Brucknerian. His conducting brings a lot of insight into the music, I think, even in relatively minor works like this one. Always worth a listen. I think I'm going to try and piece together the rest of the cycle.

I just bought the Tintner Bruckner 4th today at a used local CD shop for $2!  :)

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #34676 on: February 23, 2021, 04:13:26 PM »
I just bought the Tintner Bruckner 4th today at a used local CD shop for $2!  :)

Good find! It's a good one, but I haven't spent much time with it. Planning on listening soon. I'm partial to the Tintner Bruckner 9th.

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #34677 on: February 23, 2021, 04:15:56 PM »
A very enjoyable Bliss CD. The String Quartet in A major is like a cross between Moeran and Dvorak. So lovely. The 1st SQ has a more adventurous harmony and bite. Conversations is next.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #34678 on: February 23, 2021, 04:31:37 PM »
“Wolferl”
Pf Sonata № 6 in D, K.284 (1775)
van Oort
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline DavidW

« Reply #34679 on: February 23, 2021, 04:42:41 PM »

You can buy the Schornsheim set on Qobuz for $100.  When it was out on cd it was much cheaper but so it goes.  It contains all of the solo keyboard works and not just the sonatas, hence the length.