What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisztianwagner, JBS, Linz (+ 1 Hidden) and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.

Tsaraslondon

A recent purchase for me and my first listen to this opera.

What an extraordinary piece this is, thrillingly and intensely dramatic and this is a terrific performance. I can't imagine it being done better than it is here. Van Dam is at the height of his powers and is absolutely superb in an incredibly taxing role. The rest of the cast, with big names brought in to sing quite small roles, could hardly be bettered and the Monte Carlo orchestra play superbly under Lawrence Foster.

This is the most exciting discovery I've made in a long time. I can only assume that the difficulty of finding a bass-baritone to fulfil the role of Oedipe is the only reason it is not performed more often, because the opera truly is a twentieth century masterpiece.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Harry

Lydia Mordkovitch Tribute.
British Violin Concertos.
CD I.

Arnold Bax.Violin Concerto.
George Dyson, Violin Concerto.

London PO, Bryden Thomson.
BBC National Orchestra of Wales, Richard Hickox.

Such beauty in tone and expression, I adore her playing. I am still grieving for the loss of such a fine musician. This double CD is a worthy example of her magical art. Both Violin concertos belong to my favourites, and the Chandos sound is amazing.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Biffo

Mozart: Piano Concerto No 15 in B flat major, K 450 - Daniel Barenboim soloist & conductor with the English Chamber Orchestra

The new erato

Very fine recording of some definitely worthwhile works!

Biffo

Sibelius: Symphony No 6 in D minor - Halle Orchestra conducted by Sir John Barbirolli

Harry

Andreas Romberg.

Violin Concertos, No.4/9/12.

Chouchane Siranossian, Violin.
Capriccio Barockorchester.

Heard it four times now, and it still is a very successful performance/interpretation. Never heard these concertos any better. Siranossian is a distributor of musical pleasure, and keeps giving. Would love to hear more of the many concertos for Violin Romberg wrote. In the mean time, recommended.

Stürmisch Bewegt

Of the Livre recordings I've heard, I think this is the one to be preferred, though if you're like Gramophone , you don't much like the work: this "uneven, over-long piece poses considerable challenges to both player and listener..." And we certainly don't like to be challenged: there being "few moments of comfortable repose..."

Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

Traverso

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 08, 2021, 08:11:05 PM
What did you think, Jan?

It has a dark, desolate opening, the moment the violin falls in, it blossoms open and you hear a certain narrative structure, a development that is easy to follow.
In my opinion it sounds like a work that has been strongly influenced by Prokofiev, although it does have its own stamp.
It does manage to hold my attention, especially in the middle part and it certainly has its lyrical moments.
The last section is much more compelling with beautiful violin playing, it remains in the same atmosphere with which the concerto opens.
The typical Penderecki orchestration is not really my thing and it already feels dated to me. The violin playing is top class!
It is a fine concerto.

The new erato

First disc. Enjoyable, well written, but nothing particular to make them stand out.

Harry

French Music for Ballet.

Henri Sauguet-Les Forains, ballet in memory of Eric Satie.
Jules Massenet-Ballet Suite from Herodiade.
Jacques Ibert-Les Amours de Jupiter-Ballet in five scenes after a scenario by Boris Kochno.

Estonian National SO, Neeme Jarvi.

Exquisite.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Traverso on April 09, 2021, 06:08:33 AM
It has a dark, desolate opening, the moment the violin falls in, it blossoms open and you hear a certain narrative structure, a development that is easy to follow.
In my opinion it sounds like a work that has been strongly influenced by Prokofiev, although it does have its own stamp.
It does manage to hold my attention, especially in the middle part and it certainly has its lyrical moments.
The last section is much more compelling with beautiful violin playing, it remains in the same atmosphere with which the concerto opens.
The typical Penderecki orchestration is not really my thing and it already feels dated to me. The violin playing is top class!
It is a fine concerto.

Yeah, I'm not fond of Penderecki's orchestration either. Good to know your thoughts here. To be honest, I think the best piece of music I heard from him was his 3rd SQ. I find him more effective in chamber music, but I do still like those earlier orchestral works --- such wild pieces.

Mirror Image

NP:

Bartók
Piano Concerto No. 2, BB 101, Sz 95
Pollini
CSO
Abbado

Traverso

Dowland

CD 5

After Penderecki some completely different music.

SonicMan46

Mancini, Francesco (1672-1737) - Chamber Works, Recorder Sonatas & Concertos w/ the performers below - the recorder pieces are in 2-CD jewel boxes, just putting on one from each box -  8)

Mancini (assume no relationship to Henry, who has more entries in the Fanfare Archive!) was an Italian Baroque composer of mainly operas and oratorios (quote below) - seems his recorder works were a scant part of his output but the music still heard today.  Dave

QuoteHe was an important teacher and managed to obtain his greatest duty during Alessandro Scarlatti's absence from the Neapolitan court, between 1702 and 1708. In this period he was Director of the Conservatorio di S Maria di Loreto as well as being first organist and maestro of the Capella Reale. His works include 29 operas, sonatas, 7 serenatas, 12 oratorios and more than 200 secular cantatas in addition to assorted sacred music and a small amount of instrumental music. Today he is best known for his recorder sonatas. (Source)

Traverso

Roasted Swan

Quote from: "Harry" on April 08, 2021, 11:35:06 PM
Bohuslav Martinu.
Early Orchestral Works. Volume III.
Sinfonia Varsovia, Ian Hobson.

Vanishing Midnight is a musical wonder to me, I could listen to it every day, like the Dream of the Past, another master stroke. These series are very valuable to me. Performance and sound are exemplary.

Just listened to this courtesy of Amazon Prime and it is an absolute cracker!  Thankyou for the heads up.  Isn't it fascinating how some composers start off hugely talented but perhaps just a bit "sounding like" someone else and then somewhere along the line have a musical epiphany and the unique composing voice emerges.  I love this disc but I'm not sure I'd have ever guessed it was Martinu!

Karl Henning

Quote from: "Harry" on April 09, 2021, 01:39:59 AM
Lydia Mordkovitch Tribute.
British Violin Concertos.
CD I.

Arnold Bax.Violin Concerto.
George Dyson, Violin Concerto.

London PO, Bryden Thomson.
BBC National Orchestra of Wales, Richard Hickox.

Such beauty in tone and expression, I adore her playing. I am still grieving for the loss of such a fine musician. This double CD is a worthy example of her magical art. Both Violin concertos belong to my favourites, and the Chandos sound is amazing.

Looks very nice, mijn vriend.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

First-Listen Friday:

courtesy of vandermolen

Myaskovsky
Salutatory Overture in C, Op. 48
Symphony № 17 in g# minor, Op. 41
Russian Federation Academic Symphony
Svetlanov
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Harry

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 09, 2021, 09:14:12 AM
Just listened to this courtesy of Amazon Prime and it is an absolute cracker!  Thankyou for the heads up.  Isn't it fascinating how some composers start off hugely talented but perhaps just a bit "sounding like" someone else and then somewhere along the line have a musical epiphany and the unique composing voice emerges.  I love this disc but I'm not sure I'd have ever guessed it was Martinu!

Same here!