What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

I am lifting this recent article from Discogs and posting it here as some here are interested in the genre and may, or may not be aware of these women.

Quote7 Extraordinary Women of Early Electronic Music
[Nicole Raney posted April 7, 2021]

Johanna Magdalena Beyer (1888-1944) is the first female composer to create work for electronic instruments back in the 1930s. Although she did not reach notoriety during her lifetime, her compositions — especially her percussion music — have been immensely influential.
Recommended listening: Sticky Melodies and Percussion Suite.

Clara Rockmore (1911-1988) is arguably the most accomplished artist on theremin to this day. She was instrumental (no pun intended) in establishing both the theremin and experimental music in general as art to be respected and revered.
Recommended listening: Theremin and Music In and On the Air.

Pauline Oliveros (1932-2016) is a multi-instrumentalist (although the accordion was one of her main weapons), electronic music composer, teacher, and author who developed not only a unique setup of digital signal processors for her live performances but also musical concepts such as "deep listening" and "sonic awareness."
Recommended listening: Accordion & Voice and the improv work of the Deep Listening Band.

Delia Derbyshire (1937-2001) is an electronic music composer whose career is defined by her long stint at the BBC Radiophonic Workshop and for her contribution to the famous Doctor Who theme music. She has greatly influenced subsequent British electronic musicians.
Recommended listening: Standard Music Library: Electronic Music and The Dreams.

Wendy Carlos (b. 1939) is an early modular synthesizer pioneer and electronic music composer. She helped Robert Moog develop his namesake synths and scored several hit film soundtracks.  Recommended listening: Switched-On Bach and the original Tron soundtrack.

Pauline Anna Strom (1946-2020) is a self-taught electronic music composer and synth performer who also went by the moniker Trans-Millenia Consort. She explored various complex themes and "inner worlds" through her work.
Recommended listening: Trans-Millenia Consort and Angel Tears in Sunlight.

Suzanne Ciani (b. 1946) is a synth maestro whose work can be best defined as electronic or new-age music but also includes sound effects and jingles. She has composed and produced on a wide variety of electronic instruments but is best known for using Buchla synths.
Recommended listening: Seven Waves and LIVE Quadraphonic.

amw

Bruckner 6 - Herbert Blomstedt - Gewandhausorchester - Querstand

Objectionable in many minor and not-so-minor details (eg soft-edged timpani, rounded articulations when staccato/staccatissimo is called for, minor live performance defects, balance problems) but absolutely perfect in large-scale phrasing, forward motion and tempo relations.

Sergeant Rock

Prokoviev Classical Symphony, Giulini conducting the Chicago

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Madiel

Quote from: Que on April 14, 2021, 12:57:35 AM
Oh yes, there are lots of people with large collections and CD players, but they (we) are OLD, Harry:) A dying breed.. :P

Most of my colleagues, who are generally younger - in their 30s and 40s - are absolutely shocked when they hear I still have physical recordings!  ???

I'm in my 40s. People are more shocked that I don't have Netflix.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Papy Oli

Good afternoon all,

More and more of this :

Debussy / Ciccolini.

[/quote]
Olivier

vandermolen

Lennox Berkeley PC and the one for 2 Pianos:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Sergeant Rock

Stravinsky Orpheus and Symphony in C

Sarge

North Star

A little afternoon concert program

Liszt
Totentanz, Paraphrase über 'Dies Irae'
Rian de Waal (pf)
Anima Eterna
Immerseel

Salonen
Violin Concerto
Leila Josefowitz (vn)
Finnish RSO
Salonen

Kurtág
Stele
SWR Sinfonieorchester Baden-Baden und Freiburg
Gielen

Strauss
Eine Alpensinfonie
Berliner Philharmoniker
Karajan

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Traverso

Morley

This was a must have for me,just arrived and in mint condition,I'm now listening and it sounds great.
Leonhardt is not mentioned on the front cover but he participates nevertheless in two tracks ( virginal and harpsichord )
Parts of this recording are familiar to me from a recording with The Consort of Musicke wich I enjoyed very much over the years.

Traverso

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 14, 2021, 04:07:13 AM

Sarge

Very nice and great box   :)

North Star

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 14, 2021, 04:07:13 AM

Sarge
Good to see you around, Sarge. That's a real table pounder of a box, too.  8)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Stürmisch Bewegt

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 13, 2021, 03:19:31 PM
Gosh, now I feel like doing the same thing with Kertesz and Vienna playing the Schubert symphonies. A set that I so dearly love.

Personally, I regard those among his best recordings, along with Bluebeard and the Dvořák Symphonies
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Traverso on April 14, 2021, 04:46:13 AM
Very nice and great box   :)

Quote from: North Star on April 14, 2021, 04:48:21 AM
Good to see you around, Sarge. That's a real table pounder of a box, too.  8)

It is a fabulous box. I'm going to keep listening: the Symphony of Psalms.

Sarge

Brahmsian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 14, 2021, 05:06:30 AM
It is a fabulous box. I'm going to keep listening: the Symphony of Psalms.

Sarge

I have to be honest, I don't ever remember seeing you listening to Stravinsky before, Sarge?  ;D

Que

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 13, 2021, 04:36:59 PM
Pounds the table! I should revisit Karajan's Mahler, although I think of him as a better Bruckner conductor generally.

Completely agreed.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Stürmisch Bewegt on April 14, 2021, 04:51:47 AM
Personally, I regard those among his best recordings, along with Bluebeard and the Dvořák Symphonies.

Speaking of, I am listening to the Kertesz Dvořák symphony set right now, as it arrived yesterday.  Listening to the 2nd symphony!  :)

DavidW

I plan on listening to Rachmaninov's Vespers, cello sonata and piano trios today.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 14, 2021, 05:10:36 AM
I have to be honest, I don't ever remember seeing you listening to Stravinsky before, Sarge?  ;D

It happens occasionally  ;)

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Making a brief excursion into Mirror Image's neck of the classical woods: Debussy Preludes played by Samson François

Sarge