Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 1020614 times)

Online "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #37820 on: April 14, 2021, 09:58:09 PM »
Good morning Que.

Music from the eighteenth century Prague.
Christmas in the Prague Cathedral.

Josef Antonin Sehling.
Vocal Works.

Johann Joseph Fux.
Sonate pastorale a tre

Collegium Marianum, Jana Semeradova.

This CD is a magnificent surprise. I loved the works, and above the performance. Good soloists, and ditto orchestra. Well recorded too. Sehling was a composer I did not know, but his music is very special. A fine musical opening of the Thursday morning.
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Online "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #37821 on: April 14, 2021, 11:24:51 PM »
Lydia Mordkovitch Tribute-1944-2014.

Arthur Bliss.
Violin Concerto.

John Veale.
Violin Concerto.

BBC National Orchestra of Wales, & BBC Symphony Orchestra, Richard Hickox.
Lydia Mordkovitch, Violin.

I can only repeat my admiration for Lydia Mordkovitch. She is a marvelous performer, and imbues the music with a very special magic, helped by two fine orchestras and the late Richard Hickox. He is a sensitive conductor.
I love both Violin concertos, so much so, that I could play them every day without getting bored for a second.
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #37822 on: April 14, 2021, 11:40:19 PM »
One last work for the night:

Prokofiev
Scythian Suite, Op. 20
Scottish National Orch.
Järvi

Great choice!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #37823 on: April 14, 2021, 11:41:03 PM »
Lydia Mordkovitch Tribute-1944-2014.

Arthur Bliss.
Violin Concerto.

John Veale.
Violin Concerto.

BBC National Orchestra of Wales, & BBC Symphony Orchestra, Richard Hickox.
Lydia Mordkovitch, Violin.

I can only repeat my admiration for Lydia Mordkovitch. She is a marvelous performer, and imbues the music with a very special magic, helped by two fine orchestras and the late Richard Hickox. He is a sensitive conductor.
I love both Violin concertos, so much so, that I could play them every day without getting bored for a second.
+1 in all respects
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #37824 on: April 14, 2021, 11:52:24 PM »

Eduard Erdmann - Schubert - D894

Erdmann takes the last movement at a clip of half note = 126, which is well out of bounds for an Allegretto in 1825. It's completely wrong and yet it works somehow, in a way that most slower performances don't. For all his pianistic faults and abandonment of any kind of lyricism, Erdmann always makes the music flow, and in ways that feel so natural that almost every other Schubert interpreter seems halting and disjointed. (András Schiff can also do this, and of course Schnabel, though it isn't his priority.)

Lili Kraus - Schubert - D960

Almost the opposite; very little flow at all. Disjointed. Hard to tell whether it's intentional or not; she seems to have still had the technique to play the sonata, but then she takes these extreme dynamic contrasts that sound completely out of control. I don't know what I think of it.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #37825 on: April 15, 2021, 12:13:51 AM »

Eduard Erdmann - Schubert - D894

Erdmann takes the last movement at a clip of half note = 126, which is well out of bounds for an Allegretto in 1825. It's completely wrong and yet it works somehow, in a way that most slower performances don't. For all his pianistic faults and abandonment of any kind of lyricism, Erdmann always makes the music flow, and in ways that feel so natural that almost every other Schubert interpreter seems halting and disjointed. (András Schiff can also do this, and of course Schnabel, though it isn't his priority.)

He reminds me of Cortot in Debussy. Like everyone else plays the music in some sort of dream world, Erdmann's lively, jazzy, tense, the musical opposite of sweet (≠sour! tough maybe. We used to use the word urban!)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 12:15:54 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37826 on: April 15, 2021, 12:33:31 AM »
Good morning Que.

Music from the eighteenth century Prague.
Christmas in the Prague Cathedral.

Josef Antonin Sehling.
Vocal Works.

Johann Joseph Fux.
Sonate pastorale a tre

Collegium Marianum, Jana Semeradova.

This CD is a magnificent surprise. I loved the works, and above the performance. Good soloists, and ditto orchestra. Well recorded too. Sehling was a composer I did not know, but his music is very special. A fine musical opening of the Thursday morning.

Good morning!  :)

My hope is that Supraphon will follow jpc's example and issue its own box set.

Online "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #37827 on: April 15, 2021, 12:39:23 AM »
Good morning!  :)

My hope is that Supraphon will follow jpc's example and issue its own box set.

In this series they recorded 12 CD'S, in the JPC set there are 10, so who knows, maybe they release their own set. All the individual CD'S are full price though.

Offline aukhawk

• Veteran member
  • Oh no! Someone catted my avatar!
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #37828 on: April 15, 2021, 12:40:16 AM »

I had no idea it was an actual place... ::)

;D Due East of Limoges and (a long way) due South of Orleans - for most of the year it's a place for people who value peace and quiet, over and above superficial things such as grand scenery, fine weather, somewhere to eat and drink ...
To be honest I'd say that the music of Sibelius would be a better fit than that of Messiaen - but if I had to choose a piece by Messiaen it would be one of his more devotional pieces such as the first of his Vingt Regards - that would suit Lac Laffrey nicely.  I'll listen to both that and Fauvette des Jardins shortly, and probably follow them with Swan of Tuonela   ;)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 12:42:05 AM by aukhawk »

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #37829 on: April 15, 2021, 12:49:37 AM »
;D Due East of Limoges and (a long way) due South of Orleans - for most of the year it's a place for people who value peace and quiet, over and above superficial things such as grand scenery, fine weather, somewhere to eat and drink ...

Not exactly wrong geographically, but you might as well say Nice is east of Limoges and a long way south of Orleans! Lake Laffrey is actually a short way south of Grenoble. I've been there, it's a great place.  :D
What is Music? How do you define it? Music is a calm moonlit night, the rustle of leaves in Summer. Music is the far off peal of bells at dusk! Music comes straight from the heart and talks only to the heart: it is Love!  --- Rachmaninoff

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #37830 on: April 15, 2021, 01:07:26 AM »
It has been a long time since I have listened to the music of Mozart. Pondering what would be my re-entry into this sound world it was a toss up between the Clarinet Quintet, the Clarinet Concerto and Symphony No. 40. The latter was chosen simply because of the fact that I have a longer association with that work. The next question was who would I listen to in that work. Three great Mozartians, to my mind anyway, sprung immediately to the fore namely Hogwood, Mackerras and Tate. Yes there are many more on my shelves but this was my initial gut reaction and I tend to be a visceral kind of guy. This thought process took about five seconds to complete. So here is another solid recommendation for the Tate cycle.

Mozart: Symphony No. 40 [Tate]

This version is terrifically full blooded with wonderful woodwinds. It is, however, powerful without being aggressive. It has a great presence. It is also graceful and elegant.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Online "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #37831 on: April 15, 2021, 01:08:59 AM »
French Music for the Stage.

Auber/Boieldieu/Delibes/Massenet/Thomas.

Estonian National SO, Neeme Jarvi.

Absolutely gorgeous. One of my best buys 2021.

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #37832 on: April 15, 2021, 01:25:09 AM »
Sibelius: Belshazzar's Feast Op 51; King Christian II Suite Op 27 - Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Jukka-Pekka Saraste

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #37833 on: April 15, 2021, 01:32:55 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/EPlXCpB7oL0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/EPlXCpB7oL0</a>

Gorgeous. You and Ludwig van make good partners.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #37834 on: April 15, 2021, 01:52:44 AM »

Adès Beethoven 9.

It's pretty good. Does it stand out in a crowded field of HIP-influenced recordings? Not sure. It's not Herreweghe/Champs-Elysées, but I guess there can only be one Herreweghe/Champs-Elysées. It's very close to Krivine/Chambre Philharmonique, except obviously on modern instruments: an interpretation that sounds like Le Sacre du Printemps. Sharp accents, overdone contrasts, in-your-face soundstage, crisp rhythms, pounding ostinati. How many of those do we need?

Meh, I'm probably overthinking things. It's fun and loud and bombastic and potentially migraine-inducing; what else can one ask for from a Beethoven 9?

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #37835 on: April 15, 2021, 02:26:00 AM »
Gorgeous. You and Ludwig van make good partners.

Sarge

It's like Brahms. Turning Beethoven's piano music into choral music produces something Brahmsian.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Artem

« Reply #37836 on: April 15, 2021, 02:35:59 AM »
Second disk from this set with oboe and piano pieces.

Online "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #37837 on: April 15, 2021, 02:56:20 AM »
New acquisition first listen. Bought all 6 volumes, last week,

Vincent d'Indy.
Orchestral Works, Volume I.

Jour d’été a la Montagne.
La Foret Enchantée.
Souvenirs.

Iceland SO, Rumon Gamba.

I totally missed this series on Chandos, but I made immediate amends. And starting listening on Volume I, there was every reason to buy them all. d'Indy is a fantastic composer, perfectly performed and recorded. I am quite happy with it. The sound world d'Indy creates is very akin to mine.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37838 on: April 15, 2021, 02:58:31 AM »

Disc 7 is the 2nd part of Program Five, "Your Most Serene Highness!", six Sonatas dedicated to Prince Nicolaus Esterházy, published 1774, which has as projected location the Ceremonial Room in Esterháza.
Tom Beghin plays a double manual harpsichord in French style, c. 1770.

Q

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #37839 on: April 15, 2021, 03:13:54 AM »
It has been a long time since I have listened to the music of Mozart. Pondering what would be my re-entry into this sound world it was a toss up between the Clarinet Quintet, the Clarinet Concerto and Symphony No. 40. The latter was chosen simply because of the fact that I have a longer association with that work. The next question was who would I listen to in that work. Three great Mozartians, to my mind anyway, sprung immediately to the fore namely Hogwood, Mackerras and Tate. Yes there are many more on my shelves but this was my initial gut reaction and I tend to be a visceral kind of guy. This thought process took about five seconds to complete. So here is another solid recommendation for the Tate cycle.

Mozart: Symphony No. 40 [Tate]

This version is terrifically full blooded with wonderful woodwinds. It is, however, powerful without being aggressive. It has a great presence. It is also graceful and elegant.

I fully agree with you Fergus   :)